cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Coming in August 2022, we’ll begin rolling out Meta accounts, a new way for people to log into their VR headsets that doesn’t require a Facebook account. 

Your Meta account is not a social media profile; it lets you log into your VR devices and view and manage your purchased apps in one place. You can also add your Meta account to the same Accounts Center as your Facebook or Instagram account to unlock connected experiences across Meta technologies — like finding your Facebook friends to play games with in VR or chatting with friends on Messenger. 

To learn more, check out our blog post.

Meta_Info_Final_EN.gif

67 Comments
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Lethal_Aims wrote:

Visit a website and your data will be collected. Most likely by Facebook, even if you don’t have a Facebook account. Why would you want to voluntarily give them more personal data?

Whilst other services may collect data, they haven’t infringed privacy to such a massive scale that they have been called to testify to the Senate.

Mate, if you think the grass is greener on a different platform/OS please go there and stop polluting this forum, and sending more data to the Meta overlords, lol! Thanks. 

GuernseyMan
Explorer

Forums are an opportunity for users to express their opinions, especially on something as important as data privacy. There is no requirement for anyone to post or, indeed, to read any of the posts if they don't want to. It's a community and people will have an opinion which differs from yours.

Telling someone that if they think Meta privacy is an issue they should just go elsewhere doesn't help. It simply strengthens the position that we should just meekly accept a lack of privacy in the 21st century.

Think of it as a chat around a few beers in a pub. When the person across the table says something you disagree with you don't generally tell him to find another pub.

It's clear from the posts up to now that there is a concern from people, who have bought hardware in good faith, that the goalposts have moved regarding the personal information they are required to share. We don't know, as yet, whether that concern is valid. Until the Meta accounts are live and we get the chance to see what Meta have done speculation is all that we have.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@GuernseyMan wrote:

Forums are an opportunity for users to express their opinions, especially on something as important as data privacy. There is no requirement for anyone to post or, indeed, to read any of the posts if they don't want to. It's a community and people will have an opinion which differs from yours.

Telling someone that if they think Meta privacy is an issue they should just go elsewhere doesn't help. It simply strengthens the position that we should just meekly accept a lack of privacy in the 21st century.

Think of it as a chat around a few beers in a pub. When the person across the table says something you disagree with you don't generally tell him to find another pub.

It's clear from the posts up to now that there is a concern from people, who have bought hardware in good faith, that the goalposts have moved regarding the personal information they are required to share. We don't know, as yet, whether that concern is valid. Until the Meta accounts are live and we get the chance to see what Meta have done speculation is all that we have.

Please give us all a break and go elsewhere, lol!  You add nothing to any thread, just negative c**p.

boogles
Explorer

Asking questions about the availability and details of a significant announcement like this isn't negativity to me. It's rationality. I think we would all like to have more information about the changes, and I appreciate @GuernseyMan 's thoughtful replies here on the subject. As he said, this is like a pub and we shouldn't be directing anyone to the door unless they've started smashing the place up, relieving themselves on the dance floor, or making inappropriate advances at the staff or patrons. xD

Anonymous
Not applicable

22-08 still nothing... This month is ending and we didn't get any info about the transfer/creating new account... 

TenaciousLeeTV
Explorer

So what youre saying is "I want a positive feedback loop - to live in a bubble where there are no other opinions but my own and any opinion other than my own is crap". Seems like par for the course in 2022...Maybe YOU should leave if you can't handle people asking questions or expressing valid concerns...

Technojames
Honored Guest

1 week to go… anyone taking bets this doesn’t happen in August?

ShocksVR
Superstar
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, I've posted an updated forums thread here as well! The accounts are starting to roll out now, so if you aren't able to set one up yet, just give it a little time and try again.

boogles
Explorer

Posting this from my new Meta account. 😎 All I had to do was update the Oculus iOS app to the latest version and use my existing Oculus account to login. Thank you for the updates @Ryanality !

Technojames
Honored Guest

Same! And Just scheduled my Facebook account for deletion!

Buetigame
Expert Protege

I'm in... 7:30 local time.

Coming from my Oculus-Account the change was smooth and hassle free.

So it was worth to wait! 

Technojames
Honored Guest

Would have been better if it didn’t happen in the first place…

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Ryanality  Maybe best to close this thread and direct people to your latest updated thread.  I don't think that this thread is useful anymore;

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Announcements-and-Releases/Meta-accounts-are-here/td-p/980164

Thanks, cheers.

GuernseyMan
Explorer

And do it quickly before someone inadvertently posts something @TomCgcmfc doesn't like 😁

Jokes aside it does seem to be ok. Migrating to the new account was quite painless and, on the face of it, there doesn't seem to be any privacy issues.

Technojames
Honored Guest

I think we should lock @GuernseyMan post. It feels too reasonable… could upset someone.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Trust me mate, I got pretty thick skin, lol!