cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of November 28th, 2022 and will be pushed to Meta Quest Pro, Meta Quest 2 and Meta Quest headsets.

Background Audio Playback (Meta Quest Pro only)

We’re adding a new experimental feature that will allow you to listen to your favorite tunes or podcast in the background. This will be available on Browser as well as Progressive Web Applications (PWAs).

• This will be rolling out gradually.

Mixed Reality Capture (Meta Quest Pro only)

Share the magic of mixed reality with friends and family. On Meta Quest Pro devices, you'll now be able to capture photos and videos while using mixed reality in Passthrough.

Media Sync

We’re making it easier to view, edit and share your photos and videos you capture in VR. Media will now automatically sync to the Meta Quest mobile app from your headset.

• You can turn this off by going to Camera settings and disabling the Sync Media to Meta Quest Mobile App setting.

Meta Quest mobile app updates

We’re improving performance across the Meta Quest mobile app and adding new features.

• You can start, find, and jump into a multiplayer session with your friends directly from the home screen.
  • We revamped the device management screen to make it easier to know when your headset needs to be charged.

Shareable Wishlists

With this update, you will be able to make your app wishlist public and send a link to friends and family. You can modify your wishlist from the Store tab on your headset or the Meta Quest mobile app.

• Friends and family will be able to directly gift apps from your wishlist.
  • You can also purchase Meta Quest Digital Gift Cards which are redeemable for any app or game in the Meta Quest Store.

View and Edit Avatar in Meta Horizon Home

We’ve added the ability to view and edit your avatar in your Home. You’ll now see your avatar’s arms and hands when in your Home, and if you haven’t created your avatar yet, you’ll see a default avatar. You can also view and edit your avatar by interacting with the new mirror we’ve added to Home. This will be rolling out gradually and will be initially available in 4 environments (Desert Terrace, Space Station, Winter Lodge, Cascadia).

• In addition, you can now move around in your Home even when the Universal Menu is open. Press your controller thumbstick forward to see a set of potential hotspots, then aim at one of the hotspots and release the thumbstick to teleport.
  • We are also updating the Avatar Editor. This will also be rolling out gradually.

Universal Menu Customization

We want to reduce the time it takes for you to get into the action when you put on your headset. You can now pin and unpin apps from your library to your Universal Menu for quicker access to your favorite games and experiences. Hover over apps in your library and select the vertical three dots button to see the option to pin to your Universal Menu.

Accept Follower Requests from Invites

We’ve made it easier to accept follower requests by adding a button to the notification you receive when someone requests to follow you.

Capture Controller Shortcut

You can now capture images and videos using a controller shortcut.

• To quickly take a photo, hold the Meta Quest button then press the right controller trigger.
  • To quickly record a video, hold the Meta Quest button then long-press the right controller trigger.

Meta Quest Pro Touch Controllers

v47 will also unlock Meta Quest Pro Touch Controllers compatibility with Quest 2. These self-tracked controllers feature TruTouch haptics and fine motor controls like precision pinch motion, joystick, and stylus tip, for even more intuitive VR experiences.

Camera Panel

The Sharing panel where you share captured content from is now called the Camera panel.

93 Comments
HomidWay
Expert Protege

I guess this update become more about removing features that was properly working (properly working encoder, immersive non-avatar-creepy-discusting sousages, not lagging guardian etc). 

@Ryanality  Sorry to bother but any updates on encoder fix. Latest update didn't fix issue, support is guiding me on to fix, but since they acknowlidged that issue is in Oculus software it's been silent, and all I get is automated replies about "Did update fix it?". Maybe too much to ask but maybe if you'd share some info about issue, or possible cause comunity quickly narrowed it down. I bet here and in both v46 frame drops/stutters....  and Encoder related stutters in v47... there are many people who would like to try something instead of sitting around waiting for fix. Becouse of all that silence Meta team making on this issue it feels like users were just left with non functional device, i personally bought Quest last month and it already was up to v46, so technically this whole time i had to either tolerate input lag in Virtual Desktop, or frame drops with Oculus Link/Air link, already talked some people out of buying quest at least for now

This not a small issue btw, might seem like it is if you judge by forums, but how many peope didn't notice these drops, or decided to ignore and not to report, or complained elsewhere. I already seen a lot people who could already apply for Tester possition at meta yet provided a lot info to you, wasted their time for free, just so they could use product they bought from you, and all I seen as for fixing issue which is known for more then A MONTH and confimed on multiple systems is "Yeah, i *HEARD* developers team working on it" like it's not even statement, and more of a rumor.

In conclussion, will there be any updates on this topic, just updates, maybe we can help somehow? 

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering and QA teams are working on it, but I don't have any meaningful update to share right now. I'll connect with them and see if there's anything more they need that you all can help with, but I think they've got a lot of data right now. 

kzolee216
Protege

Thank You!

ExpHub1
Protege

Hi, I'm replying to this thread just to confirm that, like a lot of other users, I've frame drops while using PCVR (using oculus link via the original Oculus  Link Cable) caused by encoder issues that started with v47 (in my case, at least, v46 was working fine, even though for lot of users this specific issue surfaced with v46

If I look at the logs on my computer, i'm seeing stuff like this:

[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:32:44.095 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:32:44.791 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 5027 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:32:44.791 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:32:45.495 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 5077 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:32:45.495 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:32:45.559 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 5080 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:32:45.559 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:33:07.251 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 6612 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:33:07.251 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:33:12.681 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 7001 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:33:12.681 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:33:29.525 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 8208 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:33:29.525 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:33:29.605 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 8213 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:33:29.605 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:33:34.136 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 8535 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-16_16.49.59.txt] 16/12 17:33:34.136 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:

I did not have these errors before the update, so looks like the v47 update screwed something on the encoder side on my machine.

My machine is quite low-spec (AMD Ryzen 5 2600, MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II, 16GB Ram, Nvidia 970, Windows 10.0.19044 Build 19044) but it was working just fine before the last update.
Tried to factory-reset the Meta Quest 2 a couple of times. Sometimes it solves the issue for just the first launch (usually i can play fine in my first gaming session), but from the second gaming session going on the issue always come back. Sometimes it does not even fix the 1st gaming session and start droppings frame even after a factory reset on my Meta Quest 2.
HomidWay
Expert Protege

It's a know issue by now, exact as for everyone experiencing frame drops

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

deleted by tomc
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Ryanality  OK, I just got a new Oculus Desktop app update to v47.1 (non-beta, actuall listed at the bottom of the General tab as 47.0.0.286.341).  Everything seems back to normal for me now.  I can once again take advantage of my QP/rtx3090.  At 90Hz refresh rate I can crank the res slider full right (1.7x) and bump my Air Link bitrate back to 200mbps Fixed.  All that, without any noticeable loss in performance and everything is running smooth-as.  Tested out with a few Rift, Steam, and Viveport apps, including msfs flight sim and all works great!

Not sure what Meta engineers did (there never are any release notes with these desktop app updates) but whatever they did, it works a treat, for me anyway.  Thanks Meta and best Xmas cheers.

HomidWay
Expert Protege

Well, can't say it got fixed, feels better maybe placebo, i'll test update, do clean reinstall of everything. First run i had was defenetly improved, i finaly was hitting 180-190 mbit bitrate most of time, but it was stil dropping frames, it just wasn't acompanied by bitrate being droped. On second connect it just went back to exactly how it was before, feels better btw, like they changed something about vsync or something. Also Frame dropped due to encoder backup is not seen as frequently in logs.

fatal88
Expert Protege

Strange, I've got that update last week and the version before for me was better. But at this point having all those versions, it's maybe placebo.

Steveoz32x
Explorer

v47 has broken both cabled link and airlink for me, horrendous performance from wifi too. Both crash and just lock up the stream within about 1 minute, please fix this!!! I only use PCVR and now the quest is a paperweight! The problems only happened after updating last night.

I have factory reset quest, re-installed PC software, nothing is fixing it...

HomidWay
Expert Protege

Checked again, clean install and all. Exactly same in the end, in beginning it feels better, and it actually drops less fps, but after some time it get back to same drops, with same frequency

michaelcawood
Protege

I see a lot of responses on here about poor Air Link performance. Just note that it is possible to get varying performance over time that is not related to the firmware version. I often get sudden bad performance sessions that appear to be the result of congestion over wifi from neighbors. I go into my router settings and prompt it to find a different wifi channel to default to and it's fine after that. It could simply be a neighbor adding a new device to their wifi and clashing on which channels they are using.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@michaelcawood wrote:

I see a lot of responses on here about poor Air Link performance. Just note that it is possible to get varying performance over time that is not related to the firmware version. I often get sudden bad performance sessions that appear to be the result of congestion over wifi from neighbors. I go into my router settings and prompt it to find a different wifi channel to default to and it's fine after that. It could simply be a neighbor adding a new device to their wifi and clashing on which channels they are using.

I agree mate.  Most performance degradation with Air Link is probably due to insufficient 5Ghz bandwidth that can be cause by too many users on the same 5Ghz channel.  Set your channel manually (not auto select) to the lowest use one in your area.  Also make sure to disable 2.4/5Ghz band steering.  Other thing that can adversely effect wifi is interference from some Bluetooth devices (eg. speakers, headphones).

If you get performance degradation over time with Link it's often caused by poor cooling causing your cpu and/or gpu to throttle back.  A poor quality and/or undersized psu can also have a similar effect.

Also, in both cases this degradation over time can be cause by memory leakages or your gpu Vram getting swamped.  Insufficient ram (need at least 16Gb, preferably 32Gb) and Vram (need at least 6Gb, preferably 8-12Gb) can also cause these problems.  Often a good idea to do a windows memory ram checker once in a while and with your gpu, maybe try a different driver, using DDU in safe mode to properly uninstall the previous driver beforehand.  I've found in the past that simply using DDU to uninstall my current driver, then reinstall it often helps.  Lastly, make sure to mount your windows swap file on your fast ssd drive, not on your slower hdd.

So far, this latest Oculus desktop app update seems to continue to work well for me with Air Link (I've retired my Link cable for now).  After a lot of performance monitoring with a number of games/sims, for minimum latency and best performance with my QP/3090 I have settled on 90Hz with the res slider a couple notches left of max (1.5x) and 180mbps Fixed bitrate.  I had a nice long 2.5 hour flight with msfs last night and this all worked very well throughout the whole flight.  The only limiting factor for me was a weak bladder, lol! 

HomidWay
Expert Protege

Tom, stop, that's really enough, you don't know what you're talking about. I get 500 mbit's download upload if i run speedtest from browser inside quest, so i defenetely can run 10 mbits without frames being droped. And ryzen 3600, 16 gb ram and 3070 is defenetely enough to run Oculus Dash without droped frames. Yes not home, but dash, the white void you see as you connect to PCVR.

I'm happy what your problem fixed. But you don't actually include, that you play MSFS and i so highly doubt you can run it 90 or even 72 fps stable, so I bet you runing it with ASW ON fulltime, this may impact results so much, as you already have motion warp enabled it's not that obvoius that you dropped one or two frames as you already technically was dropping frames. I see it as my game running fine for 5-7 secconds, then I move and objects start ghosting for frame or two, and it goes back to normal - repeat this until you stop playing. And exact pattern happens in so mentioned DASH that my punny, as you imply pc, should handle with 10 mbit's of bitrate with my weak gigabit router on completely free channel without having frames dropped.

So pls, stop littering with this walls of text, that have to be argued with there been people with 4090 and i7 12700 who had same issue, they didn't have before update. We just started getting improvements with last update, pls don't make it sound that issue is fixed, I wasted month arguing on this forum, talking to tech support, provint issue is not in my pc, my router, people did same, people with much more powerfull PCs then my, all of this to get a properly functioning device which was working properly before. And now you come, claiming there is no issue, and apparently never been. This only applyes to YOU, YOU never had problem apparently, and came here and still coming just becouse everything is great, but you didn't read through two gigantic threads about this issue, and don't know that people tried. 

This is how it performs for some people - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39X_hAd62qU

HomidWay
Expert Protege
fatal88
Expert Protege

Guys, this is not air link, tethered link is also affected. And it's not air link performance, but encoding, it has nothing to do with the network itself.

And it was working fine for months before v46.

Also the issue is confirmed by Meta.

ExpHub1
Protege

Definitely not airlink. I'm using the Oculus Original Cable and I have the exact same encoder issues, Airlink or CableLink does not change anything.

HomidWay
Expert Protege

This is exactly why i say this guy doesn't know what he is talking about blaiming other people setups.

vabchgent
Protege

Airlink (Headset also updated) - I had the studders/judders in Home on PC and could not use the PC home on Monday night( Was getting black side lines on the headset - Could not use controllers) . Last Night I tried it again and I could use home on my PC and play games, with some studders. So its not perfect yet...2080TI - 32GB ram - I7 8700K ...   Might have something to do with the Wireless card in the headset.. I see the 5GZ band bars go up to three down to 2 for no reason... The only thing on my 5GHZ band is the headset. As a test I put my PC into wireless mode 5GHZ and the bars are 3 strong at all times (No drops)... I am 20ft from the router... I also have an Airlink cable, but have not used it in awhile...  

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@HomidWay wrote:

Tom, stop, that's really enough, you don't know what you're talking about. I get 500 mbit's download upload if i run speedtest from browser inside quest, so i defenetely can run 10 mbits without frames being droped. And ryzen 3600, 16 gb ram and 3070 is defenetely enough to run Oculus Dash without droped frames. Yes not home, but dash, the white void you see as you connect to PCVR.

I'm happy what your problem fixed. But you don't actually include, that you play MSFS and i so highly doubt you can run it 90 or even 72 fps stable, so I bet you runing it with ASW ON fulltime, this may impact results so much, as you already have motion warp enabled it's not that obvoius that you dropped one or two frames as you already technically was dropping frames. I see it as my game running fine for 5-7 secconds, then I move and objects start ghosting for frame or two, and it goes back to normal - repeat this until you stop playing. And exact pattern happens in so mentioned DASH that my punny, as you imply pc, should handle with 10 mbit's of bitrate with my weak gigabit router on completely free channel without having frames dropped.

So pls, stop littering with this walls of text, that have to be argued with there been people with 4090 and i7 12700 who had same issue, they didn't have before update. We just started getting improvements with last update, pls don't make it sound that issue is fixed, I wasted month arguing on this forum, talking to tech support, provint issue is not in my pc, my router, people did same, people with much more powerfull PCs then my, all of this to get a properly functioning device which was working properly before. And now you come, claiming there is no issue, and apparently never been. This only applyes to YOU, YOU never had problem apparently, and came here and still coming just becouse everything is great, but you didn't read through two gigantic threads about this issue, and don't know that people tried. 

This is how it performs for some people - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39X_hAd62qU

Mate, I'll certainly stop posting any replies to your posts from now on, lol! 

Looking at your YT vid it seems to me that you have a problems with either your Link cable and/or usb3 port.  I've retired my Link cable in favour of using Air Link but you saying you're only getting 500mips with the usb speed test puts up a red flag to me.  Last time I checked v47 with a Link cable I was getting 2.4Gbps on the Oculus Desktop app usb speed test.  Sorry but I'm not prepared to reinstall my retired Link cable right now to test that out.  I'm enjoying the freedom of wireless PCVR way too much.  I still have Virtual Desktop installed and while it's good to have as a wireless backup, after trying its latest update out yesterday I don't think it works as well as Air Link, for me anyway.

I did just pull out my kinda retired Q2/rtx3090 to test out things.  I found that using 80Hz with the res slider down a couple notches from the right (1.4x) and the bitrate set to 200mbps Dynamic gave me the best results.  With your pretty good PC I'd imagine that this should also work well, maybe with the res slider down another notch or two.

While I appreciate the fact that you may be having problems with your Q2, I don't appreciate you telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about.  I've been in this PCVR game for 5 years now and have owned every Oculus/Meta headset since the Rift cv1.  I've also ran these over a wide range of PC's.  Starting off with an Alienware laptop 17r4 with a 1060 6Gb gpu, then added a 1080ti with an Alienware graphics amplifier, then a proper desktop PC with an i9 9900k/32Gb 3000 ram, then with an upgraded rtx3090. 

I've now ordered a new PC with an i9 13900/rtx4090/32Gb ddr5 ram.  I can hardly wait to see the results I'm going to get with this beast!

This is an open user forum so please feel free to post whatever you like, including Meta hater rants, lol!

HomidWay
Expert Protege

You didn't read anything MY ROUTER PUTS 500 MBITS, i'm not using cable. 

com.oculus.shellenv-20221116-232426.jpg

 This router can't do 10 mbit's stable or what? You twisted everything around to feel yourself in the right, keep it up. This will get you very far in life kid.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@HomidWay wrote:

You didn't read anything MY ROUTER PUTS 500 MBITS, i'm not using cable. 

com.oculus.shellenv-20221116-232426.jpg

 This router can't do 10 mbit's stable or what? You twisted everything around to feel yourself in the right, keep it up. This will get you very far in life kid.

Man I wish Meta would bring back the Ignore feature, lol!

ExpHub1
Protege

Hi TomCgcmfc

I don't think you are getting the point. Please excuse me if I sound rude, but your replies sounds kinda irritating to me and to other users, because they are similar to the usual responses that we had in the past from Meta Support until they acknowledged that there is something wrong with the Oculus Desktop Software.

They sound irritating because you are implying that, since on your configuration all works perfectly, it has to be a problem due to some issue on our system (wifi, usb cable, using 5ghz or 2,5 ghz etc. etc.).

The problem is that you are missing the fact that *on the exact same machine and same configuration* everything was working flawlessy, until the update hit our systems. From that point, we have never been able to have a smooth experience anymore. It does not matter if you are using PC-LINK or AIRLINK, if you are using a 5 meters cable or a 5 cm one, if you are using 5ghz wifi or 2m5 ghz, the results does not change at all: we are having frame skips on the encoder, no matter what we try (and trust me I tried changing video drivers, changing cables, uninstalling Oculus Desktop, factory-resetting the devices, and so on).

It is a problem that it does not happen on *every* configuration. In your case, everything is working correctly. Good for you. But please trust other users when they are saying that there is a problem with the encoder that causes frame drops. Please don't blame the user's configuration or please do not imply that the user is not able to sort out the issues he may have on his wifi or on his USB connection. We know what we are doing, and we do not have any issue on our end. The proof is that until v46 hit, everything was working flawlessy, and now, on the same exact machine and on the same exact configuration / network, the encoder is dropping frames for no apparent reason.

Thank you for your understanding and apologies again if this message may sound rude, but I guess that we are tired of being implicitly accused of not being able to sort out our issues, while the issue is clearly on the software.

StefanoBettarini
Honored Guest

Buongiorno,  a me l'aggiornamento v47 ha fatto " sparire" l'opzione fotocamera dal menù sistema, qualcuno ha lo stesso problema? Se si, avete risolto?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@ExpHub1 wrote:

Hi TomCgcmfc

I don't think you are getting the point. Please excuse me if I sound rude, but your replies sounds kinda irritating to me and to other users, because they are similar to the usual responses that we had in the past from Meta Support until they acknowledged that there is something wrong with the Oculus Desktop Software.

They sound irritating because you are implying that, since on your configuration all works perfectly, it has to be a problem due to some issue on our system (wifi, usb cable, using 5ghz or 2,5 ghz etc. etc.).

The problem is that you are missing the fact that *on the exact same machine and same configuration* everything was working flawlessy, until the update hit our systems. From that point, we have never been able to have a smooth experience anymore. It does not matter if you are using PC-LINK or AIRLINK, if you are using a 5 meters cable or a 5 cm one, if you are using 5ghz wifi or 2m5 ghz, the results does not change at all: we are having frame skips on the encoder, no matter what we try (and trust me I tried changing video drivers, changing cables, uninstalling Oculus Desktop, factory-resetting the devices, and so on).

It is a problem that it does not happen on *every* configuration. In your case, everything is working correctly. Good for you. But please trust other users when they are saying that there is a problem with the encoder that causes frame drops. Please don't blame the user's configuration or please do not imply that the user is not able to sort out the issues he may have on his wifi or on his USB connection. We know what we are doing, and we do not have any issue on our end. The proof is that until v46 hit, everything was working flawlessy, and now, on the same exact machine and on the same exact configuration / network, the encoder is dropping frames for no apparent reason.

Thank you for your understanding and apologies again if this message may sound rude, but I guess that we are tired of being implicitly accused of not being able to sort out our issues, while the issue is clearly on the software.

Sorry for the tough love, but if you're having problems it is probably caused  by something  else imho.  Contact meta support, start a ticket, and include your log files.

HomidWay
Expert Protege

Has been done a long time ago, several people telling you it is meta's softwate.

Support did acnowledge, it is Encoder.

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 21-26-06 v46 frame drops_stutters_headroom dips.png

 I told you, read those threads, all questions would vanish, but you argue with several people and proving it's end user fault becouse your THINK it is.

HomidWay
Expert Protege

It doesn't matter much anyway now, encoder related sttuters are defenetly fixed at this point, as this "Frame droped due to encoder backup" we were getting all over logs is no longer present (It still kinda is but it's normal as only time it occur during system-wide lag as game loads or something similar).For me personally, it feels much smoother after update, but there still some droped frames, or reprojection for no reason, still the same just not as choppy.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@HomidWay wrote:

It doesn't matter much anyway now, encoder related sttuters are defenetly fixed at this point, as this "Frame droped due to encoder backup" we were getting all over logs is no longer present (It still kinda is but it's normal as only time it occur during system-wide lag as game loads or something similar).For me personally, it feels much smoother after update, but there still some droped frames, or reprojection for no reason, still the same just not as choppy.

I'm sure you'll find something else to complain about soon, lol!

Buetigame
Expert Protege

Hmmm... the support told you, to disable PTC in order to receive the realease-channel update to 47.1 as metioned by @TomCgcmfc. So you got the problems with the PTC? An interesting side fact, because this a thread about the release-channel!

That's the problem with differences in experiences.
Everey user got it's own configuration in hard- and software.

To clear thing's up:
I'm on release-channels (desktop-app and firmware) with my Q2 and everything is fine.
Win10 22H2, X570, AMD 5900X(12c), RTX2080(8GB), 64GB RAM

So it would be really helpful to add this kind informationen to make things clear.
Concrete question: why are to talking about problems with PTC-App in the release-channel thread?

HomidWay
Expert Protege

That answer was before v47.1, so yeah, i was switching back and forth between Release and PTC to check if it was better anywhere, to be clear this was present Since v46 RELEASE update and as far as i can tell v47.1 is somethat better but it's still not fixed. Guys, we know what we are talking about. I've read logs, there were encoder errors in pervious versions.

And so you finnaly get what we tried to troubleshoot.

• Several people including me did complete fresh reinstall of windows, one guy even tryed different buinds of windows including  Win10 20h1, 21h2, 22h2, Win 11.
  • It was tested on amd and on intel cpu systems.
  • It was tested with AMD and Nvidia graphics.
  • Ingame graphics were set to lowest possible with lowest possible resolutions on rigs with 3070/3090/4090
  • I also tested if encoder resolution change anything it doesn't and there frames being dropped if it's set to be 3900, 3664 or 2500.
  • People did swap out routers, and used link cable (For Tom, USB 3.0 cable this time, not to just show performance without any influence from router as it was in the video)
  • People played around with overclock, CPU, GPU, Memory, it all was tested stock, underclock, and overclocked to check if it's hardware unstability
  • People reset their quests.
  • I tweaked my whole network, every driver, every device connected was setup to have the best performance then it comes to local data transfer.

So we tested Pc perfornance it was enough to run game smooth.

We tested network performance it was enough to play smooth.

And ONLY corelation i could find that if you set bitrate to a really small number like 10 mbit/s in oculus dash or in ODT if you are using cable (Yes on cable lowering bitrate also did improve framedrops somewhat) only then you get LESS frame drops. And to make it more clear, so you wouldn't say again, oh, it was this then, bad router/bad cable, again, it was tested with router with speed tested inside Quest, in quest's web browser on website Speedtest.net to be 500 mbit/s and that is not even LAN speed at this point what's my internet speed limit.

And calbes with proper usb 3.0 with 2.4 gbit/s link do exactly same.

So you guys treat a lot of people right now as stupid, who don't know their systems, who didn't have any issues before the update, and don't have similar issues with virtual desktop, we tested a lot of stuff and it was proven long ago that this is indeed is issue with Oculus software. These test were done in both PTC and Release of v46 and it's eterations, in v47 and now in v47.1 . And only v47.1 is different in any way, as i mentioned 

THIS

[Service_2022-12-03_21.50.08.txt] 04/12 02:13:09.693 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 3483 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-03_21.50.08.txt] 04/12 02:13:09.693 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2022-12-03_21.50.08.txt] 04/12 02:13:13.894 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 3860 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-03_21.50.08.txt] 04/12 02:13:13.894 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2022-12-03_21.50.08.txt] 04/12 02:13:38.264 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 6043 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-03_21.50.08.txt] 04/12 02:13:38.264 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2022-12-03_21.50.08.txt] 04/12 02:13:38.685 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 6081 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-03_21.50.08.txt] 04/12 02:13:38.686 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2022-12-03_21.50.08.txt] 04/12 02:13:52.219 {!ERROR!} [xrstreaming] Frame 7296 dropped due to encoder backup
[Service_2022-12-03_21.50.08.txt] 04/12 02:13:52.219 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:

Doesn't apear anymore as it did in Since v46. 

Take log's gatherer and while you can, pull logs from week ago, while it was just v47, you should see exact same error.

And to be clear, this issue not noticibe for everyone, some people as Tom play fine with reprojection On full time, but I personally notice it a lot, and if it appears even for few seconds i do notice it even without monitoring.

Buetigame
Expert Protege

Thank's for this detailed description of yours problem.
I looked at my log (with v47.1) and also got some of these errors... but there is nothing to see while playing.
(did so this mornig with Hybris - kewl game by the way)

But I have one question (maybe you already answered that in this thread):
"So we tested Pc perfornance it was enough to run game smooth."

What does that mean? What hardware specs?
What resolution (Desktop-App), and what ODT settings? What game?

Things have to be reproducable... if you say: "we tested everything with everything" you also may say: "I tested with a specific hardware an a specal game, but I won't tell you".

My settings for ODT:
- Distortion Curative = Low
- Encode Resolution Width = 3664 (native res)
- Mobile ASW = Enabled - Framerate Insurance
(all other @default)

Also I never "tweak" hard- or software... everything kept @default.
Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling for example is on @default etc.

So much words again, sorry...

Fact is: I also got those errors (even with v47.1) but I didn't notice such frame drops.
And again... for me (and many others round me) there is no difference at this point between v44, v45, 46 or v47. The only difference I see for now: I use an RTX 2080, you and your friends 3070/3090/4090.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Ok, the much asked about app filter setting appears on my headset. Great, I like it. Set it to updates and click the back arrow which takes you to the all apps display. Click on the filter icon and it makes the last filter select active. Handy to check for updates quickly.

I restarted the headset earlier today and the filter setting is gone.

What gives? First the app pinning comes and goes. Now the app filter comes and goes.

Is it like two or development forks going on and one update wipes out the other?

HomidWay
Expert Protege

Check this thread

Re: Encoder related stutters in v47, continuation ... - Page 6 - Meta Community Forums - 1006798 (oc...

and one this is being continuation of

v46 frame drops/stutters/headroom dips - Meta Community Forums - 997865 (oculusvr.com)

I didn't mean we tested every singe combination ofc it would be impossible. But as end user we had to go much deeper then we should have already and still didn't find any solution. To be honest, i see you trying to help, but i already wasted month proving error was (or is as some people still have drops) oculus software I don't want to waste any more time listening to "That's a you problem". I know what i'm doing, I code, I overclock every single system i have myself since I had Core 2 Duo, I stream and record a lot and did work for some time for small video production, and right now I fix PC's and other electronics as service engineer. So i know enough of both High level seftware/hardware and low level software/hardware to tell where issue is, but i can't just rewrite or change how closed source software works. 

Stop saying we didn't check some obvious stuff in style of "Oh did you try to unplug it and plug back in". Ofc we tried every setting default, and I tested if Hevc works different to AVC codec, and it does, so apperently more effective HEVC starts to drop frames as it aproaches range of 80-140 mbit/s but AVC sits comfortabli in range of 160-180 still droping frames, and to be clear again, i mean not setting i mean what bitrate air link shows in performance overlay and it being set to dynamic 200 mbit , as you go under this range in both cases no matter if you set limit dnamic or fixed both encoders gradually down to lowest possible bitrate start loosing less frames.

And i'll repeat again it was tested Wired, and Wirelessly.  Default and Some settings changed. These settings in ODT, and in driver are there for a reason to cahnge them if something is off, do you really think that anyone would spend every single day arguing on forum without strong ground that issue isn't on their side. 

II prooved to tech support and meta stuff on this forum that issue is real, and that's enough for me. I don't need to proove anything to you, it wouldn't be you, or Tom fixing this issue. You have it working? Good for you, this is definition of SOME PEOPLE have this problem since v46.

So stop putting my words out of context and twisting around everything i said to suit your possition that user just did something wrong.  User was doing just fine with what he did before v46, and now it suddenly became wrong to change any setting and everything should be @default. Sorry my PC isn't @default, next time i make sure to buy @default prebuild Meta PC with @default Meta OS, with Default Games that Meta made sure to be runing smooth by @default .

Buetigame
Expert Protege

I really read your full text... but again, nothing specific.

If you're coming from sorftware develeopment - you know, that things to fix must be 100% reproduceable.
And you cannot reverse two majour releases and reimplement features coming from there to fix "diffuse" problems for some few people of 10th's million.

Yes, it would be nice, if Meta would allow reversing firmwares (even with the loss of all settings)... but there are good reasons on their side, not to allow that - mostly intellectual property, but also additional support, bricked devices and so on.

You have to be specific and you have to follow Meta support, if you really want to fix yours problems.
On the other side... what shall they do? "I know what I do! The last two FW are the problem... remove them!"

I, if I were working for them, would have no choice as to ignore you, sorry.

HomidWay
Expert Protege

The thing is, people can only change surface level setting, only meta know that is different between v45 encoder and v46. So if we can't change this parameters there is no way we can reproduce it. Only meta can. So yes I actually would like them to revert changes they done, if there were any, at least so we could tell if issue is reproducible. You trying to explain it as software being one whole thing, but you defenetly can change one module without touching another. Especially since Oculus link on quest is basically an App, and PC software basically a shop with streaming capabilities, so encoder could be definetly changed without touching anything else. 

fatal88
Expert Protege

You never rollback full releases, but you should know what you changed and it can be either fixed or that commit should be reversed if it's not causing any other issue. And there should be an option to downgrade. The problem is reproduceable since it's affecting a lot of people. I think it's affecting everyone, just not everybody notice it.

Since most of the features are rolling release and not version specific, imo it will affect more and more people who are using PCVR.

I think they changed something encoding related when the Quest Pro released.

Yeah you can ignore support tickets, but then you should also close the support forum, cause it's pointless. Look at the topic of the white bar issue which occures with tethered link. These two issues causing people to selling their device and it's possible they never buy a meta product again.

TeeNeeRopd
Explorer

PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM WITH THE ENCODER!!! This problem has been going on for a long time... I just want to play without any delays! @Ryanality

Buetigame
Expert Protege

"since it's affecting a lot of people"

How many? In whitch configurations?
There are 25 million user out there, maybe 2 million of them use the headsets with PCVR and how much of them have problems?

Maybe now you know what I mean.

And if everybody who got such problems open a ticket and give information about configuration und used games, there will be a solution. But most of them shouting out in forums, but are afraid of giving information about individual configuration and usage, getting them out of anonymity. So they are shouting out, but didn't help to solve the problem...

There ist no more to say, I think.

fatal88
Expert Protege

Yeah there are 25 million Quest 2s, most of them doesn't use PCVR at all, according to statistics at least half of them are collecting dust. I don't think 2 million is used for PCVR, but I don't have data, do you? Do you have data how many of the users even own a PC, not to mention noticing the bug, know how to start the debug tool to send logs or troubleshoot the encoder issue? How do you know how many people are opened a support ticket for this and sent logs to them? I sure did.

Meta already confirmed the issue multiple times on the forums. No, we are not just shouting out. For example I've send logs multiple times, tested different OS versions with different drivers etc.

The issue is there, there are even people who sold their headsets and more and more people are commenting they're experiencing the problem (not in this topic, but there are others in the forums as well).

So, I agree, no more to say, meta should give support and fix the issue they caused by the forced software updates without an option to downgrade.

HomidWay
Expert Protege

No point arguint with these guys, if you put it short so they don't answer with "Didin't read lol" they will twist everything you said like you some moron who use your grandmas 2007 Eeepc laptop to play with sandel as wifi router and demands meta to make it run 200 fps, and if you actually put detailed explanation and they even manage to read it, it ends up they just neatpick on your words exactly as this guy read meta's responce and interpreted "Please avoid stay from using PTC for some time, as it may worsen your experience" as it i was only using PTC and did all the troubleshoot i mentioned above but didn't even test release version, not like it was just a general advice to not use it at the time. This just says it all.

I stay my ground, they most likely to play games with ASW on, and becouse of this they dont notice frame drops but i don't see any reason for them to just claim "Uuuuhm I have no issue you be bad" specifically I mention again. SOME people have this problem. Not him specifically not Tom, some other people may have. No point arguing with fanboy. You show benchmarks and evidence, they didn't test anything, just say you did something wrong.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

So for a brief period the feature to pin apps to the UniMenu was there and gone. Then the App Library filter was there and vanished quickly.

Now my App Library always defaults to "Updates" view. Sigh, it is bad enough to give and take useful features but then to make old features annoying to use isn't likely to gain much in the way of positive comments.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I finally got the option to select Installed Apps as a default when I select Apps from the dashboard menu.  This is very nice.  Found it on one of the Quest home quicks settings/settings panels (accesibility I think, hunt around a bit to find it).  Thanks Meta.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

I found the app filter settings were moved to the pesonalizations - app library settings.