cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of January 19th, 2023 and will be pushed to Meta Quest Pro, Meta Quest 2 and Meta Quest headsets.

Explore new Home environments

We’re adding two new Home environments to explore and we're also making it easier to move around in your Home. You can now explore more of your Home environment and you can rotate your view when you have the universal menu open.

Our new Home environments include:

• Polar Village: Explore snow-capped cottages, the majesty of a winter’s (early) morn, the light of flickering fireplaces and the awe-inspiring aurora borealis.
  • Abstraction: Step outside the boundaries of reality, with an explosion of color and amorphous blobs!

Parental supervision on Family Center

We’re making it easier to set up and manage parental supervision tools for Meta Quest with the new Family Center. On Family Center, you can get answers to common questions, discover what parental supervision tools are available and make changes to existing settings.

Parents can also invite teens to set up parental supervision on their accounts on Family Center.

Do Not Disturb for Immersive Experiences

We’ve added a new Do Not Disturb mode in v49 that, once activated, silences notifications while you’re in 3-dimensional games and apps. You can find this setting in System Settings > Notifications > Do Not Disturb. Keep in mind that certain critical notifications (examples: party invites, battery status) will still be displayed.

Accessibility settings for Meta Quest mobile app

We are adding our accessibility settings to the Meta Quest mobile app, increasing the ease-of-use and ease-of-access for accessibility settings in your VR experience.

Secure payment updates

When buying games or making in-app purchases in VR, you can now use the Meta Quest mobile app to pass the 3DS (SCA) authentication step of the checkout.

Universal menu updates

We’re giving the universal menu a visual refresh. We’re also adding a fourth app to your app history, and an active app indicator that shows your current open apps.

38 Comments
AlphaEndgame
Explorer

The only relevant feature of this update would be the ability to disable the avatar arms and go back to the ghost hands. Is this ability implemented? I'll hold back on updating until I can use the ghost hands again.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

There's no official news on if this will become a feature that can be toggled on or off, but we've been sharing the community's interest in being able to turn off the visible avatar features with our developers. If there's any plans that we're able to share regarding this, we'll update the idea threads on the topic!

BOLNICHKA39
Explorer

Does this version have hand tracking 2.1? And then after the release of version 2.0, my tracking was broken, I wrote earlier that tracking works fine in the helmet menu, but it's terrible in games, one game is not even passable because of this.

cvan65
Explorer

What happened to the Avatar clothing store that was in an Oculus blog over a month ago with new clothes we can buy? I have TWO friends (one on a Quest2 and one on a Quest Pro) who have had this ability for weeks now and there's no mention of it anywhere? Why don't we have it yet? I have both a 2 and a Pro and got the 49 update today and still nothing. These updates are the just so poorly handled. Why advertise that this feature is coming and then drop it from the conversation even though some users have it?

bright90
Protege

What will the versions be in my quest 2 software update page?  I can’t figure out if I’ve gotten the v49 update yet… out of four different versions listed on my software update section, half say 49xxxxx, and the other half say 47.000xxxxx

Buetigame
Expert Protege

The long number isn't the version... you've got v47, as I do.
One and a half week after announcement 😞

I also vote for making the "arms" optional... or deactivateable at least.

LoriDegre
Protege

When Meta? When will this V49 hit my OQ2? I purchased a set of Pro controllers and they paired fine but are stuck on 0% firmware update and have been for 4 solid days. I’ve un-paired and re-paired a couple of DOZEN times. Still no progress. Can you please roll this V49 update out fully so those of us waiting to use these controllers can finally do so? “There are MANY of us” 🙏 I honestly do not want to return them, but if they aren’t going to function, $300 is more than I want to spend on a set of paper weights. At the very least can you tell us why we are all having this issue and when it will be resolved. Appreciate it. 👍

cvan65
Explorer

Just a heads up: I was able to pair the Pro controllers with my Q2 with version 47. I only got 49 a few days ago. It did not update automatically in my headset though. I just happened to go into System, Software Update and I could click to download it so you may want to check that. After it downloaded, I still did not have the clothing store but after I restarted my headset some hours later, it showed up. Hope you get your issue sorted.

LoriDegre
Protege

I keep trying, all day every day since buying the controllers. Will try again today. Today is day 5 of fighting with this. Not what I signed up for Meta. WTHeck? 

LoriDegre
Protege

I have the new home environments, I do not see a mirror anywhere and my pro controllers will not update. Can I assume the update dropped onto my headset but didn’t fully complete updating to V49? It seems to be at a midway point. My settings says there is no update available, my V is a mix, 2 sections star with 47 and 2 sections star with 49. 🤷🏻‍:female_sign: I also cannot get my Pro Controllers to update, they are stuck on 0% firmware for 5 solid days now. Tried every trick in the book, followed all your ‘support’ suggestions, except for 1. I am not doing a factory reset. I’ll return the controllers first and just keep my original controllers. I should not have to wipe my headset and factory reset to update a set of controllers. Ridiculous! 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@LoriDegre wrote:

Tried every trick in the book, followed all your ‘support’ suggestions, except for 1. I am not doing a factory reset. I’ll return the controllers first and just keep my original controllers. I should not have to wipe my headset and factory reset to update a set of controllers. Ridiculous! 

Honestly, doing a factory reset isn't the worst thing in the world to do imho.  Much better than needing to do a Windows clean reinstall, lol!

I've found with my Q2 I need to do this once or twice a year.  I've even done it once already with my QPro.  It does fix a lot of problems and makes your Quest feel like new again.  Cloud backups help but you still need to download apps again.  When you go through the setup you can select which ones you really want to download.

One tip I've found that helps avoid factory resets is to keep your headset on (and connected to your charger or external battery) while it downloads and installs software and firmware updates.  A bit if a pain to do but it seems to help make sure everything is downloaded and installed correctly.

bright90
Protege

Factory Reset will NOT fix the issue.  (already tried it)

bright90
Protege

Factory reset will not fix this issue.. (though as a general practice/principle, I hear you)

Joe-Dude
Explorer

What ever happened to "Advanced Camera Setting."   I've never had access to it.  Is it available in 49, or is it dead forever?

Joe-Dude
Explorer

I updated to 49 today - still no advanced camera settings to be found.   How do I get advanced camera settings?  Thanks

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Both my Q2 and QPro are still on V47 but my Oculus Desktop PC app updated to v49 yesterday.  This has actually caused me a few problems trying to initiate Air Link.  I seem to either need to retry this quite a few times and/or drop my oculus desktop app graphics setting back to default 72Hz settings.  Even with a rtx4090, lol!

Maybe this will improve when I actually get v49 on both my Q2 and QPro.

Santey_287
Honored Guest

Hello, do you have any information about solving the problem with periodic frame skipping? This is described in more detail here https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/v46-frame-drops-stutters-headroom-dips/td-p/997865/pa... and https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/yunj4w/q2_wired_link_visibly_stuttering_and_link_detai...

button. I was waiting for this to be fixed at 47, now 49 and the problem is not solved. It's hard for me to play my favorite games because of the twitching picture and it makes me very sad.

bright90
Protege

Yeah, this is an issue I’m experiencing.  It’s been a few months since I’ve been using my quest 2 - games used to run pretty smooth over airline/cable.  Now with current software version, it’s just dropping frames all the time. 

I’ve spent more time trying to fix issues in the last week than just using the headset…. How disappointing 

ToTheMacksimum
Honored Guest

PCVR Link/Air Link encoder is still broken as of V49, awesome.

Encoder frame rate drops from 90 to 87 every 2-3 seconds. Occurs on wired Link, Air Link, and Virtual Desktop (they all use the same encoder).

Specs are Gigabyte Z590 Gaming X, 10700k, 2080 Super.

It would be really awesome if Meta showed any sign whatsoever that they care even remotely about the PCVR community.

Santey_287
Honored Guest

Friends, I found the cause of the malfunction. It turned out to be caused by turning on "Scheduling GPU with hardware acceleration" in Windows 10 graphics settings. I have ALWAYS had this option disabled, but for some unknown reason, it turned on and I didn't know about it. I have tried every setting possible except it! I highly recommend disabling it and running the tests again. If you have this option disabled and the problem persists, I don't know what the reason is. As a confirmation of what I wrote above, attached screenshots of the tests in DiRT Rally 2.0 made by Oculus Debug Tool>Tools>Lost Frame Capture. The difference in the total amount between "ON" and "OFF" is about 10 times different. My joy knows no bounds! )). I marked with arrows and boxes to help you navigate, if you do not know. Sorry in advance for the unprofessional tests and imprecise English.0,65%.PNG5.11%.PNG6.PNG74.PNG
Translated with DeepL

bright90
Protege

glad you found a solution for you.  This is not the issue for the rest of us though.. i do not have GPU scheduling on so the issue is something else.

ZeoMarc
Honored Guest

My Quest 2 stopped working after this update. Left screen no power, right screen powered (backlight) but no image...

Buetigame
Expert Protege

Got both (App & Firmware) on thursday (2nd Feb) and no problems with (Air-)Link, so it should be.
The power drain raises with this firmware, round about 20 to 25% per day... before ~10%.
Maybe they will fix it again...

Buetigame
Expert Protege

One of the environments (Dessert Terrace) came with the update... 
Two others (Winter Lodge ans Space Station) came within the next day.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, ZeoMarc We regret learning that your Quest 2 headset isn't working properly. We are all too aware of this problem, so don't worry; we've got you covered. We'll try to bring you back into the action.

1. Are you able to access the factory reset settings on your phone?
  2. How long has the problem existed?
sydth
Honored Guest

That's weird. I already had the two new Home Environments before i got the update... 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

Both my Q2 and QPro are still on V47 but my Oculus Desktop PC app updated to v49 yesterday.  This has actually caused me a few problems trying to initiate Air Link.  I seem to either need to retry this quite a few times and/or drop my oculus desktop app graphics setting back to default 72Hz settings.  Even with a rtx4090, lol!

Maybe this will improve when I actually get v49 on both my Q2 and QPro.

OK, I finally got v49 on my Quest Pro today and Air Link seems to work better now with v49 Oculus Desktop app.  Still a few stutters, but not too bad.  Dropping the res slider down to 1.4x helps a little and does not seem to effect the overall clarity very much.  Fun to see my avitar reflection in a few home environment mirrors, lol!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Update;

Still having a lot of problems starting up Air Link since the v49 Oculus Desktop app update.  Takes me either multiple tries to get it to kick in and/or disabling it and re-pairing it.  This is with both my Q2 and QP.  I have reported this to Meta support but I have not gotten any sensible replies.  I have already done the usual factory reset and Desktop app repair things btw. 

I didn't think anything could be worse than the v47 update but I guess I was wrong, lol!

Trevor2497
Protege

I have noticed this too! Since updating to v49, the visual clarity is worse with tons of artifacting and stuttering despite having performance headroom. I can no longer set my encode bitrate to anything above zero in the debug tool without having worse stutters and clarity. I am also getting that white bar across my displays regardless of my settings. Before the update, I could run 950 encode bitrate with my official link cable with CRYSTAL CLEAR visuals and was happy with everything until I was forced to update.

I'm currently speaking with support right now so hopefully they can use my logs and stuff to track down this issue. I just want to go back to how it was before v49!

Specs:

Ryzen 3700x

RTX 3080 10gb

32gb ddr4 (3200mhz)

Quest 2 + Official Link cable plugged into usb-c 3.1 gen 2 port

Buetigame
Expert Protege

Got a firmware update last night... from 49.0.0.186 to 49.0.0.207.
Didn't notice any difference - works well as before.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Buetigame wrote:

Got a firmware update last night... from 49.0.0.186 to 49.0.0.207.
Didn't notice any difference - works well as before.

Ya, I got this fairly small update today on my Q2 and actually ot it on my QPro 2 days ago.  I also can't see much difference. 

Unfortunately starting up Air Link is still a little buggy.  Usually takes me at least 3 tries until it sends me to my Rift home/dashboard.  No problem with Link though.  I kinda thing that the problem lies with the Oculus Desktop app v49 software.  I wasn't having this problem before this.  I did try opting into the desktop app v50 PTC beta but this did not help so I went back to the non-beta v49.

Edit; I should mention that this Air Link problem is much worse with my Q2 than QPro.  The encoding issues are also worse with my Q2.  Fortunately, all I mainly use for wireless PCVR these days is my QPro/rtx4090.

loregnum
Adventurer

With the V49 firmware, if you turn on your Q2 with both controllers inside the guardian area but then put one down outside of it at any time after that, the guardian boundary grid stays up for about 5 minutes before disappearing. It is confirmed to be caused by the controller being outside of it because I can bring the controller back in and the grid disappears like it used to. 

I don't know if this was actually done on purpose or if it is a bug but it is annoying for those of us that do stuff like golfing after playing another game and put a controller down somewhere outside of our play area. If it was done on purpose then the person(s) who came up with this silly idea should not be employed in a position where they can make decisions like this and if it is a bug then the person(s) that screwed it up should fix it. 

Buetigame
Expert Protege

Sorry, didn't got such problems at all... not with Air Link nor encoding issues.
Did upgrade my graphics card recently to RTX 4070ti (12GB), coming from RTX 2080 (8GB).
(keeping AMD Ryzen 5900X (12c/24t) 4.8GHz, 64GB RAM, M.2-SSD's)

But I'll start the Oculus environment since years from a batch, keeping no background processes (also no windows startup things like Oculus "Library Service" etc.). So I generate tasks for starting such processes with pirivilidged rights (net.exe start/stop "OVRService") and use a script for start/stop the complete Oculus Environment:

Spoiler
@echooff
echo.
schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Eigene\OVR starten"
timeout /t 10 /nobreak
echo.
echo #################################################
echo OculusVR Service was started... startting GUI now
echo #################################################
echo.
start /wait /D "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\" OculusClient.exe
echo.
schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Eigene\OVR stoppen"
timeout /t 10 /nobreak
start /wait C:\WinProg\System\pskill64 oculus-platform-runtime.exe -t -nobanner
echo on

Doing so, there were no connecting problems over a long, very long period.
(as i remember, there were such issues in the 30'ies 😉

Mayby starting Oculus environment "on demand" helps...
...at least to understand the problem ;D

But these "encoding issues" are strange, didn't got those also.
Dynamic 200MBit, resolution and tweaks (ODT) - anything as always.

adam.vrcave.2022
Honored Guest

I have been receiving so many complaints about Quest tracking from our partners since the release of V49. before our headsets updated, I used 4 Quest 2s to run our shared space free roam game. The headsets performed perfectly and always found  the guardian. But since I got back from that event, the headsets seem to randomly jump a couple of centimeters in a random direction, I am noticeably taller than I was a minute ago.

Our other partners describe random playspace rotation causing the other players to bump into each other. I really hope V50 has some inside-out tracking updates or even rollbacks to how it was working before v49. 

gummydogs
Honored Guest

OMG finally, thanks for confirming!! I thought I was going crazy from this happening all of a sudden. It's extremely frustrating to not even see a mention of this change in the release notes. Things like this are going to push people toward dangerous workarounds like disabling the Guardian or drawing the Guardian outside the playspace to plop down the controllers (what I'm doing now). I don't understand why major changes like this are being pushed out years later without even being mentioned.

gummydogs
Honored Guest

At the very least, there should be a setting to revert the behavior if the default is going to change.

Ggizzle_s.o.g
Expert Protege

Hey fam, we’re on the same page to develop the company

Ggizzle_s.o.g
Expert Protege

You greatly improved message