cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of July 11th, 2022.

Move 2.0

We’ve been listening to your suggestions to improve Move in order to make it easier to track your VR fitness progress. Last month, we began to roll out tracking and viewing your VR fitness stats on your phone. iOS users also had the option to sync with Apple Health. Today, we’re sharing a couple new improvements to Oculus Move:

• Earn Move Achievements for hitting your fitness goals. In the Move app, find the dedicated tab to track your fitness milestones, like 5000 calories burned or 100 daily goals completed, no matter what game or app you’re moving in.
  • Visualize your fitness progress compared to the previous week with Move Trends.
    • And for those interested in more fitness stats, check out your peak and average intensity (calories burned per minute).
  • If you haven’t used Move yet, learn more about Move and how it can help you track your VR fitness goals.

Messenger

While in VR, you can now see how many unread Messenger chats you have directly from the app icon.

Air Link

Air Link is moving out of the experimental settings panel and will now be available under system settings. We’ve also made the following improvements:

• We’ve added a Connection benchmarking tool to help understand and improve the quality of your wireless connection.
  • We’ve improved the UI to simplify the number of steps required to set up Link and Air Link.
  • Previously, we announced the beta release of Air Link Windows 11 compatibility. With this release, Air Link is now fully compatible with Windows 11.

Parental Supervision

We’ve added the ability for parents to enable and disable social features for any teens that they supervise. Turning on social feature supervision will prevent teens from:

• Creating and joining parties.
  • Visiting or watching VR content together in anyone's Meta Horizon Home.
  • Sending/receiving chat messages on Oculus Chat and Messenger in VR.
  • Posting on Facebook from the VR share option.

We’re also adding a new notification for when a teen ages out of a content rating.

Display Contrast

We’ve introduced a contrast slider to help improve overall visibility while in VR. This includes text, controls, backgrounds etc.

• You can adjust your display contrast from your Meta Quest headset by selecting Apps > Settings > Accessibility and then moving the slider to your desired contrast level.
87 Comments
AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Oh hey, have you fixed any long standing issues yet or are you still ignoring them? That's a rhetorical question by the way. What I really mean is, **bleep** you. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I now have non-beta v42 on both my Q2 and pc app.  Both Link and Air Link work ok but I found I needed to drop the bitrates on both down a bit to avoid stuttering.  For link 300mbps and for air link 110mbps dynamic.  The net results are ok but distant objects are not quite as good and/or pop in later.  Starting to make me appreciate my dedicated PCVR Vive Pro a bit more, lol!

loSvelto
Explorer

At least you were able to fix the stutters! I've tried every bitrate setting from 0 (man does compression look bad on low bitrate) to 500 but the stutters are there. Subtle, random but frequent. It's so annoying!
It was working flawlessly, smooth and with good performance, then I've updated the PC software to V42. After the micro-stuttering started, I've updated the Quest 2 firmware to V42 hoping it would fix it. nay...

It looks exactly the same kind of stuttering I observed whenever I tried Windows 11 (and then had to revert back to Windows 10 for the same reason)

Meta, stop adding stuff, we don't need new features. Or at least give us the possiblity to choose the software version.
This is the last hybrid VR headset I buy. I believe 99% of PCVR users would agree.

TaaberMan
Explorer

Oculus PC Software v42, Oculus Quest 2 v42

Same sh1t, different day.

Core i7-12700KF

Asus GeForce RTX 3070 DUAL

G.Skill 32GB Trident Z RGB

Samsung 1TB 980 M.2

Asus RT-AX55 Dual-band -WiFi 6

99% of people have this RIGHT? This stutter? Right? I uploaded new video what happend on versio 42.

https://youtube.com/shorts/OEdpjDUUGj4 

BubblzZz
Protege

Yup, couldn't agree more. I use my Quest 2 for PCVR probably 99% of the time, and I'd say 99% of the time it gives me some sort of issue where I have to restart it just to connect to Airlink/Link, disconnects randomly mid game, frequent and consistent micro stuttering with high end PC specs and wifi 6 router, microphone issues. I kid you not, every time there some new issue that happens that I have to deal with. Can't wait for the next dedicated PCVR headset to come out, whatever it will be, never again buying a hybrid from "Meta".      

lensmandave
Superstar

Got the updates too. Have to say, I'm not getting any of the stuttering that others are reporting. I normally run the Quest at maximum resolution, 72Hz and bitrate locked at 200 Mbps. I cranked the refresh to 90Hz and ran the Half Life Alex scene that TaaberMan illustrated in his video clip...no stutters or dropped frames for me. Go figure.

loSvelto
Explorer

May I ask, what is your full Oculus PC software version?
Do you apply any setting in the NVidia panel or Debug tool?

TaaberMan
Explorer

lensmandave

Are you kidding me 🤯

I think me and coulpe more people appreciate if you can help us telling couple thinks in you setup.

Oculus pc ver?

Steamvr ver?

Nvdia or amd driver ver - and setting if you have made change?

Are you using airlink/link? Virtualdesktop?

Windows ver? In windows Graphich performance mode on or off?

DebucTool if you have chage something?

lensmandave
Superstar

Here you go ..

Oculus pc app - 42.0.0.136.285
Steam vr - 1.22.13
Nvidia ver - 512.77
Using AirLink via dedicated WiFi 6 router
Windows 10 pro version 10.0.19043.1826
Performance mode off
Debug tool default settings
Oculus Tray Tool - force ASW off
Nvidia control panel - default except power / prefer maximum performance

Pleased to help with any other info 🙂

TaaberMan
Explorer

First of all wery thanks for quick answer 👍

Second, something good happend in here. Those mega spikes disappears. ODT Hud graphic are more stable. BUT, ou yeah theres a BUT. There are little stutter what i can see and feel. Those are not showing in graphics. I know im those people ho are sensitive for this kind of micro stutters and lags. 

But wery thanks for your answer, this is path for better direction. What cause the spike, i just dont know.

Tested this Airlink 200mb stand 90hz and your advise settings.

loSvelto
Explorer

I was able to determine what causes the stutter in my system.

Whenever an instance of the ExperTool software is running, the issue occurs.
This software is a GPU Led control/overclocking tool for Gainward Nvidia GPUs.

It doesn’t matter the GPU overclock, the issue occurs whenever this software is running, even reduced to tray.

As soon as I close the software, the video stream in my headset is perfectly smooth, no random lost frames.

BubblzZz
Protege

So you use both the Oculus Debug Tool, and the Oculus Tray Tool (downloaded separately)?

lensmandave
Superstar

I use the tray tool to turn off ASW and also to experiment with 'per game' profiles. I just check out the debug tool after each Oculus update but at the moment it's left at it's default settings.

lensmandave
Superstar

Yep, way to go. Just turn off all the fluff that is not absolutely essential for your games to run 🙂

BubblzZz
Protege

Thanks for the reply! I've never used the OTT, only the ODT, so maybe that's the step I'm missing. I noticed that setting ASW to Disabled in ODT never holds, and always goes right back to Auto upon restarting the software. 

QDOGG29
Honored Guest

I have a slight problem for this update, yes I can connect to it, but I lag to all hell when it connects, like it delays my movement by like 5 seconds and I do not know any more fixes, please help me.

huliqan
Adventurer

Oculus HOME v.42 & 43 PTC works incorrect!!!

I can't launch HOME if usb link HMD connected and I can't connect to devices(Quest2) until I disable the network card.

But in HOME v.40.105 all works Perfect!

What was added in v.42(43)  versions that I can’t to use Link(wired) now ???

Wi-Fi always disable.I don't use airlink at all !!!

lensmandave
Superstar

You should check the 43 PTC thread. This is the 42 public release thread.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@lensmandave  Ya, it's not really clear what @huliqan  is actually having problems with?  He said earlier that the latest v42 on Quest and Oculus desktop pc app were working fine with both Link and Air Link.  So, either he has now got the latest Quest v43 PTC and/or he has opted into the Oculus desktop pc app beta PTC (v43).

For me, with non-beta V42 on both OS, everything is working ok.  I don't think it's a good idea to opt into the Oculus desktop app PTC (currently v43) if you are still on non-beta Quest v42.  Also, I've found that if I swap around beta/non-beta on the oculus desktop app a few times I've notice some instability and then need to download the app from the support website and run a Repair.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Great, just when you think the user experience can't get any worse you're forced an update that completely breaks tracking. At this point the headset is just a paper weight. Completely unusable. And as per usual, fat chance of Oculus taking responsibility and dealing with issues...

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@AlexiTQ  Sorry to hear that after the latest v.42 update your Quest is still in the Brick Sheethouse.  That really stinks mate, lol!

shredhed64
Explorer

Ever since 42 whenever i try to launch an Applab game i get a popup that says "Cannot open app, turn on tracking" with an option to to turn it on.  But the tracking is already on.  It doesn't happen on all games just seems like its applab games.  Is this a bug or do i need to grant some permissions somewhere ?

Thanks

huliqan
Adventurer

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

@lensmandave  Ya, it's not really clear what @huliqan  is actually having problems with?  He said earlier that the latest v42 on Quest and Oculus desktop pc app were working fine with both Link and Air Link.  So, either he has now got the latest Quest v43 PTC and/or he has opted into the Oculus desktop pc app beta PTC (v43).

For me, with non-beta V42 on both OS, everything is working ok.  I don't think it's a good idea to opt into the Oculus desktop app PTC (currently v43) if you are still on non-beta Quest v42.  Also, I've found that if I swap around beta/non-beta on the oculus desktop app a few times I've notice some instability and then need to download the app from the support website and run a Repair.

I wrote about the 42 firmware version for Quest2, I wrote about wired-Link connect without Wi-Fi.

But issue with home 42 has always been

...here facebook and oculus servers are blocked and I need to use vpn to fully support oculus home content

Shards632
Protege

Not mentioned in the v42 release notes is that Files->Sync has been restored. Was removed in v41.

fiocco10
Explorer

Can you finaly add the button ON/OFF missing for Space Sense in the next update ? 😔

SwooshStackz
Protege

Very good, thank you!

Fully functional headset here.

Most notable feature was the Lock option.

Good feature, but wrong location. That

needs to go in Settings along with an

option to hide from Library, thoughts?

LordDamien
Explorer

Are you guys gonna fix the air link/link issues? Would be cool to be able to play Pcvr again. 

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Been on the v42 release a week or two now. No major issues. I like how I can switch between Air Link (WiFi) and Line (cable) without having to re-pair the headset for WiFi.

Only minor issues I've been having is after waking up from standby of an extended length of time the headset locks up (becomes unresponsive to any input - controllers, buttons on headset) for a few seconds. Happens a two or three times at most until the next standby period. The other issue following a long standby period Air Link won't see the connection and I have to reboot the HMD.

lensmandave
Superstar

Yep, performing well for me too. I also get that Air Link dropping the connection and requiring a Headset reboot.

fiocco10
Explorer
Finaly, now you can turn OFF Space Sence because smooth update in v42.
Go to Guardian then Roomscale and turn off this f%£à?&# Space Sense !

Say goodbye to all those horrible purple streaks in play.

SwooshStackz
Protege

v.43 here, bye 42, a u d I o s !

lensmandave
Superstar

Is anyone actually getting any of these new features yet? My Quest has already updated to v43 and no sign of the ability to link Move fitness to my iPhone. Has anyone got the Display contrast feature yet?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@lensmandave   No mate I haven’t seen the contrast option yet.  I’m still on non-beta v42 (Q2 and PC).  I still haven’t even seen the app sorting option that was supposed to be included with v41, lol!  Cheers 

dinhthaihoang090
Honored Guest
Buetigame
Expert Protege

Also got v43(.0.0.167.120.387708xxx) on my Q2, Desktop is v42.

(Air-)Link works as always... perfect 😉

Hopefully the battery drain will be fixed with it... present since v40 I think.

(HMD lies around, next time I try to use, it's empty :()

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Buetigame wrote:

Also got v43(.0.0.167.120.387708xxx) on my Q2, Desktop is v42.

(Air-)Link works as always... perfect 😉

Hopefully the battery drain will be fixed with it... present since v40 I think.

(HMD lies around, next time I try to use, it's empty :()

@Buetigame  Is that the v43 Public Test Beta on your Q2?  If so, maybe you should be posting this on the PTC v43 Thread mate.  Also, have your tried the ptc v43 on the Oculus Desktop pc app?

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Announcements-and-Releases/PTC-v43-Release-Megathread/td-p/974676

Not sure what battery drain issue you are talking about.  Is this with the Elite strap with battery draining if you leave it connected overnight or when you do not fully shutdown and leave it in sleep mode, or something else?

Buetigame
Expert Protege

No PTC... nor at HMD or desktop - so this is the right thread, right?

And your linked thread maybe is the reason why the desktop wasn't updated 😉

And battery drain, leaving it in sleep mode, of course.

Why should it drain battery, when its shut down?