cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta Quest build v42 release notes

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of July 11th, 2022.

Move 2.0

We’ve been listening to your suggestions to improve Move in order to make it easier to track your VR fitness progress. Last month, we began to roll out tracking and viewing your VR fitness stats on your phone. iOS users also had the option to sync with Apple Health. Today, we’re sharing a couple new improvements to Oculus Move:

• Earn Move Achievements for hitting your fitness goals. In the Move app, find the dedicated tab to track your fitness milestones, like 5000 calories burned or 100 daily goals completed, no matter what game or app you’re moving in.
  • Visualize your fitness progress compared to the previous week with Move Trends.
    • And for those interested in more fitness stats, check out your peak and average intensity (calories burned per minute).
  • If you haven’t used Move yet, learn more about Move and how it can help you track your VR fitness goals.

Messenger

While in VR, you can now see how many unread Messenger chats you have directly from the app icon.

Air Link

Air Link is moving out of the experimental settings panel and will now be available under system settings. We’ve also made the following improvements:

• We’ve added a Connection benchmarking tool to help understand and improve the quality of your wireless connection.
  • We’ve improved the UI to simplify the number of steps required to set up Link and Air Link.
  • Previously, we announced the beta release of Air Link Windows 11 compatibility. With this release, Air Link is now fully compatible with Windows 11.

Parental Supervision

We’ve added the ability for parents to enable and disable social features for any teens that they supervise. Turning on social feature supervision will prevent teens from:

• Creating and joining parties.
  • Visiting or watching VR content together in anyone's Meta Horizon Home.
  • Sending/receiving chat messages on Oculus Chat and Messenger in VR.
  • Posting on Facebook from the VR share option.

We’re also adding a new notification for when a teen ages out of a content rating.

Display Contrast

We’ve introduced a contrast slider to help improve overall visibility while in VR. This includes text, controls, backgrounds etc.

• You can adjust your display contrast from your Meta Quest headset by selecting Apps > Settings > Accessibility and then moving the slider to your desired contrast level.
Help others find great discussions and answers by adding kudos and marking solutions to your questions.
87 REPLIES 87

Is there an open issue too  for the bad performance stutter/lag from pc link since update v41

@chriscath666  I normally use Air Link with my Q2/rtx3090 and this seems to be working fine with v42 (still v41 on desktop pc app though).  I did seem to need to drop my Air Link bitrate down to 150mbps, Dynamic in order to minimise latency.  Everything still works very well.

I tried Link yesterday with v42 and it also worked great.  I found 350mbps bitrate (in ODT) worked best for me.  Overall a bit better distant visuals and completely stutter-free, without any screen tearing, no matter how fast I turned in games/sims.  Also, overall latency with all my games/sims was pretty well consistently 10ms lower than with Air Link (40-50ms vs 50-60ms).  I still prefer the freedom of wireless with Air Link though.

I was pleasantly surprised that after initially pairing my headset with Air Link, then going to Link, and then going back to Air Link I did not need to pair the headset again like I've normally needed to do.  Also, I tested out and found that Link worked fine without wifi, although this is not what I normally worry about.  Just note that if you disable Link in the system settings link menu and then enable it again, you'll need to pair it again.

The main 2x things I still seem to be missing with v42 are the personalisation settings to allow you to select a default for how your apps are presented in your app panel and also missing is the Display Contrast option.  Maybe these are still being rolled out?  I also have not seen the desktop non-beta v42 update.  Probably not going to happen until v42 on the Quest is rolled out to all.

The new system settings for Quest Link that gives you a performance output for Air Link is interesting but I think it's still work in progress.  The network latency it displays for me still varies from 1ms to 300ms and I know my actual network latency is more like 4ms (from Virtual Desktop stats).  Also, since yesterday's mini v42 update (42.0.0.130.250) it now says my Ethernet connection is N/A when I know it's fine.  Also, the network latency has a N/A designation.  It all works fine so maybe as work in progress N/A means currently not available?

i9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

tanubon
Level 7

I got v42 on "Quest1". Air Link works very strangely. Bitrate doesn't reach more than 25Mbps on dynamic bitrate 200Mbps. And if I use higher bitrate on fixed bitrate, it makes lag. WTF.

@tanubon  Your Q1/Air Link results sounds like it may be caused by problem(s) with your router settings.  Make sure you are using a dedicated 5Ghz channel (I use ch36) and disable 2.4/5Ghz band steering.  Also check your 5Ghz bandwidth is set at 80Hz.  You probably should be using the Oculus desktop pc app non-beta (v41) as well and initially set all your ODT settings to defaults/zeros/auto to begin with.

With your Q1 you may also want to try using Virtual Desktop.  I found I got better results with my old (now retired) Q1 with VD compared to Air Link.  Plus you can get some good performance numbers using it to try to hone in on your problem(s).  Good luck mate and cheers.

i9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Oops, I forgot to change to 5Ghz. Wait, still almost the same on 5Ghz. No lag, though. In the first place, there is a problem that the bitrate of dynamic bitrate stays low since v41. Not only on Quest1. 200Mbps dynamic bitrate, but it often goes below 100Mbps & around 120-130Mbps basically on Quest2. Before v41, there wasn't such a problem. Average bitrate was much higher.

@tanubon  Ya, Air Link Dynamic bitrates are lower, like you said, since v41.  I get about the same values as you and I've now found that if I set my dynamic above 150mbps I start to pick up more latency and lost frames.  So, for now I've set it to 150mbps dynamic and this seems to work fine for now.  I tried a number of fixed bitrates (between 70-200) but these seemed to create more stutter, especially with SteamVR.  I think that this is a problem that Meta should have addressed prior to taking Air Link out of experimental.  I filed a bug report back in v41 but nothing seems to have been done to fix this.  Maybe you can file another one for v42.  Cheers.

TaaberMan
Level 4

Screenshot_20220716-134612_Gallery.jpg

 The spike. The lag. The stutter is here and stays. I have done everything what posible can do and nothing change. Oculus killer tool, uninstall/install, just spend 100€ for router wifi6, used link cable, nvidia drivers, ext. Ext. Ext. That spike comes.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ynBz_zY-6ao?feature=share 

Clarification. AirLink 10mb - 200mb bitrate dynamic or stable tested. Virtual Desktop tested. Link cable 2.8Gbps tested. PC Oculus soft 42.0.0.136. Quest 2 soft 41.0.0.124. No update for now in finland to v42.

And in the video what i uploaded, i only looking at SteamVr desk. Nothing runs a backround even. Steamvr 1.23.6

Core i7-12700KF, Asus GeForce RTX 3090 OC, G.Skill 32GB Trident Z RGB, Samsung 1TB 980 M.2

@TaaberMan   Maybe try opting out of the oculus desktop pc app public beta and go back to non-beta v41.  It seems to work better for me.  Lower latency and fewer stutters, even with my Q2 on v42.

Allright. I just uninstalled oculus pc soft. Clean registery. Install oculus. But, when istalling is finnish, coulpe seconds the software updates itself and the versio goes 42. Very end of installing i checked the versio was 41. This "spike" i have on versio 41 too. About month ago when i bought quest 2 and the versio 41 just come out, this spike every sens. I have been contact with Amanda Watson VR Software Engineer on Meta and trying to solve this Major problem what it seems to be lots of people having. 

Core i7-12700KF, Asus GeForce RTX 3090 OC, G.Skill 32GB Trident Z RGB, Samsung 1TB 980 M.2

@TaaberMan  I read that another person found that if you disable gpu scaling in ODT that this prevents these spikes.  You need to redo this after every restart though.  Also disable mobile asw option.