cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta Quest build v42 release notes

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of July 11th, 2022.

Move 2.0

We’ve been listening to your suggestions to improve Move in order to make it easier to track your VR fitness progress. Last month, we began to roll out tracking and viewing your VR fitness stats on your phone. iOS users also had the option to sync with Apple Health. Today, we’re sharing a couple new improvements to Oculus Move:

• Earn Move Achievements for hitting your fitness goals. In the Move app, find the dedicated tab to track your fitness milestones, like 5000 calories burned or 100 daily goals completed, no matter what game or app you’re moving in.
  • Visualize your fitness progress compared to the previous week with Move Trends.
    • And for those interested in more fitness stats, check out your peak and average intensity (calories burned per minute).
  • If you haven’t used Move yet, learn more about Move and how it can help you track your VR fitness goals.

Messenger

While in VR, you can now see how many unread Messenger chats you have directly from the app icon.

Air Link

Air Link is moving out of the experimental settings panel and will now be available under system settings. We’ve also made the following improvements:

• We’ve added a Connection benchmarking tool to help understand and improve the quality of your wireless connection.
  • We’ve improved the UI to simplify the number of steps required to set up Link and Air Link.
  • Previously, we announced the beta release of Air Link Windows 11 compatibility. With this release, Air Link is now fully compatible with Windows 11.

Parental Supervision

We’ve added the ability for parents to enable and disable social features for any teens that they supervise. Turning on social feature supervision will prevent teens from:

• Creating and joining parties.
  • Visiting or watching VR content together in anyone's Meta Horizon Home.
  • Sending/receiving chat messages on Oculus Chat and Messenger in VR.
  • Posting on Facebook from the VR share option.

We’re also adding a new notification for when a teen ages out of a content rating.

Display Contrast

We’ve introduced a contrast slider to help improve overall visibility while in VR. This includes text, controls, backgrounds etc.

• You can adjust your display contrast from your Meta Quest headset by selecting Apps > Settings > Accessibility and then moving the slider to your desired contrast level.
Help others find great discussions and answers by adding kudos and marking solutions to your questions.
87 REPLIES 87

BubblzZz
Level 4

With both my PC and Headset on V42 now, Airlink has much improved. 120hz finally works again without constant stutter and glitching.....but now regular cabled link is totally broken. Sigh. Constantly disconnecting, stutter and glitching...Fixing one thing always seems to break something else. Oculus PCVR software is so unreliable that I'm considering just buying a Valve Index at this point.  

AlexiTQ
Level 6

Oh hey, have you fixed any long standing issues yet or are you still ignoring them? That's a rhetorical question by the way. What I really mean is, **bleep** you. 

TomCgcmfc
Level 15

I now have non-beta v42 on both my Q2 and pc app.  Both Link and Air Link work ok but I found I needed to drop the bitrates on both down a bit to avoid stuttering.  For link 300mbps and for air link 110mbps dynamic.  The net results are ok but distant objects are not quite as good and/or pop in later.  Starting to make me appreciate my dedicated PCVR Vive Pro a bit more, lol!

i9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

loSvelto
Level 4

At least you were able to fix the stutters! I've tried every bitrate setting from 0 (man does compression look bad on low bitrate) to 500 but the stutters are there. Subtle, random but frequent. It's so annoying!
It was working flawlessly, smooth and with good performance, then I've updated the PC software to V42. After the micro-stuttering started, I've updated the Quest 2 firmware to V42 hoping it would fix it. nay...

It looks exactly the same kind of stuttering I observed whenever I tried Windows 11 (and then had to revert back to Windows 10 for the same reason)

Meta, stop adding stuff, we don't need new features. Or at least give us the possiblity to choose the software version.
This is the last hybrid VR headset I buy. I believe 99% of PCVR users would agree.

MSI Z690 A DDR4 - i7 12700KF - Gainward RTX 3080 Phantom GS - 32GB DDR4 3600MHz

TaaberMan
Level 4

Oculus PC Software v42, Oculus Quest 2 v42

Same sh1t, different day.

Core i7-12700KF

Asus GeForce RTX 3070 DUAL

G.Skill 32GB Trident Z RGB

Samsung 1TB 980 M.2

Asus RT-AX55 Dual-band -WiFi 6

99% of people have this RIGHT? This stutter? Right? I uploaded new video what happend on versio 42.

https://youtube.com/shorts/OEdpjDUUGj4 

Core i7-12700KF, Asus GeForce RTX 3090 OC, G.Skill 32GB Trident Z RGB, Samsung 1TB 980 M.2

Yup, couldn't agree more. I use my Quest 2 for PCVR probably 99% of the time, and I'd say 99% of the time it gives me some sort of issue where I have to restart it just to connect to Airlink/Link, disconnects randomly mid game, frequent and consistent micro stuttering with high end PC specs and wifi 6 router, microphone issues. I kid you not, every time there some new issue that happens that I have to deal with. Can't wait for the next dedicated PCVR headset to come out, whatever it will be, never again buying a hybrid from "Meta".      

Got the updates too. Have to say, I'm not getting any of the stuttering that others are reporting. I normally run the Quest at maximum resolution, 72Hz and bitrate locked at 200 Mbps. I cranked the refresh to 90Hz and ran the Half Life Alex scene that TaaberMan illustrated in his video clip...no stutters or dropped frames for me. Go figure.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

May I ask, what is your full Oculus PC software version?
Do you apply any setting in the NVidia panel or Debug tool?

MSI Z690 A DDR4 - i7 12700KF - Gainward RTX 3080 Phantom GS - 32GB DDR4 3600MHz

lensmandave

Are you kidding me 🤯

I think me and coulpe more people appreciate if you can help us telling couple thinks in you setup.

Oculus pc ver?

Steamvr ver?

Nvdia or amd driver ver - and setting if you have made change?

Are you using airlink/link? Virtualdesktop?

Windows ver? In windows Graphich performance mode on or off?

DebucTool if you have chage something?

Core i7-12700KF, Asus GeForce RTX 3090 OC, G.Skill 32GB Trident Z RGB, Samsung 1TB 980 M.2

Here you go ..

Oculus pc app - 42.0.0.136.285
Steam vr - 1.22.13
Nvidia ver - 512.77
Using AirLink via dedicated WiFi 6 router
Windows 10 pro version 10.0.19043.1826
Performance mode off
Debug tool default settings
Oculus Tray Tool - force ASW off
Nvidia control panel - default except power / prefer maximum performance

Pleased to help with any other info 🙂

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.