cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of February 21, 2023 and will be pushed to Meta Quest Pro, Meta Quest 2 and Meta Quest headsets.

Changes for Quest 1

As we look to the future, we are grateful to the Quest 1 community and remain committed to supporting its users. If you currently use Quest 1, your headset will still be supported with a few changes. It is important to note that Quest 1 is not shutting down, and users will continue to maintain access to their existing apps and games. Here’s an overview of what’s ahead:

• You will still be able to use your Quest 1 headset and available apps.
  • We won’t be shipping new features to Quest 1 starting with v50.
  • We plan to continue maintaining the system software with critical bug fixes and security patches until 2024. You will still be able to use Quest 1 devices beyond 2024.
  • Quest 1 users will no longer be able to create or join a party.
  • Quest 1 users who currently have access to Meta Horizon Home social features will lose access to these features on March 5, 2023. You won't be able to invite others to your Home or visit someone else's Home.

We thank you and the entire Quest 1 community for helping us get to where we are today. If you have any questions about these changes or about your Quest 1 headset, we encourage you to contact Meta Store support.

2D app multitasking

When we launched Meta Quest Pro, one of our favorite new features was the ability to bring up a 2D app (like the Meta Quest Browser) without closing the game we were playing. With v50, we’re excited to bring this feature to Meta Quest 2 as well. Check your Instagram feed, look up the location of a Lost Ball in Walkabout Mini Golf, or get a bit of work done while you’re killing time in Demeo’s Heroes’ Hangout—all without leaving your current app or experience.

Direct Touch experimental feature

We are introducing a new a new way to navigate in VR. With Direct Touch, you can swipe through content like the apps in your library, and tap on objects like buttons and icons as you would on a smart phone. You can find Direct Touch in Settings > Experimental > Features.

Quick Settings panel improvements

We are adding a setting in the Quick Settings panel that allows you to switch between tablet and desktop modes for your VR menu viewing experience. Desktop mode is the default view, while tablet mode combines the universal menu and other menus you open into a single VR tablet, which is designed for using the new Direct Touch experimental feature.

We’re also adding text labels in Quick Settings to make it easier to navigate.

To open the Quick Setting panel, press the Meta Quest button on your right Touch controller to pull up your universal menu, then select the clock on the left side of the universal menu.

Improved Touch Pro controller tracking

We are improving performance on the Touch Pro controllers, reducing the time for tracking to initialize. Your controllers will be quicker to respond when you first put on your headset, and whenever you switch from hand tracking back to controllers.

60 Comments
RMMC_VR
Explorer

Any more improvements coming for users who are using oculus link on windows 11?

dougblake
Protege

Is there any way to force the update to become available / visible? My Quest 2 is on v49 and says 'no updates available'.... I've restarted the headset already but the same.

Buetigame
Expert Protege

In short... no.
It will be available to you, when it is - this lasts up to three weeks.
(rolling out as always in so called "waves")

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

As @Buetigame said, the updates will roll out starting with a smaller group of devices and cascading out over time. We've got a collection of some software related FAQs here.

Anoobizzz
Honored Guest

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but could we get any estimate on fixing the issue with Air Link speed being capped on AMD GPUs?

According to AMD it's something to fix on your side:
https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/AMF/issues/364
There is also other thread with no answer to it:
https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/PCVR-Development/AMD-Encoder-s-100Mbps-Cap/m-p/1031536

Lordubuntu
Protege

Did you make changes also to the oculus PC app lately? I can't access to my oculus home anymore from the oculus dashboard.

Jaklcide
Honored Guest

2D app multitasking

When we launched Meta Quest Pro, one of our favorite new features was the ability to bring up a 2D app (like the Meta Quest Browser) without closing the game we were playing. With v50, we’re excited to bring this feature to Meta Quest 2 as well.

It still tells me I have to close my app to use the browser so I don't know what you talking about.  I am on v50.

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

Il  live captioning,  tecnologia che consente di trascrivere in tempo reale i contenuti di una sorgente audio come  sottotitoli,  sarà presente e fruibile?

Sarebbe opportuno visto che tutt'oggi quasi tutti i contenuti sono ancora solo in inglese!

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

Fatto sta che siamo a due settimane e della possibilità di aggiornare neanche l'ombra. 

Stugabaranda
Adventurer
I don't find it at all polite of Meta to ignore what I asked.
Can someone willing to assist users dress professionally and provide some more explanations indicating precisely the real release times and what we are talking about since it is not even clear whether it is an experimental update or a stable release?
After all it is Meta that blew up the web with the news of the release!
We are on March 10 and nothing is clear. On the web, moreover, each of the few who say they have got the update complains of different problems. There are those who have direct touch not even activated, there are those who have problems with the control system, and those who have problems with the home button that no longer opens the menus.
fiocco10
Explorer

Le clavier virtuel a perdu les accents et le verrouillage 😕

Buetigame
Expert Protege

I didn't got the update also... as I've told, it could last two or three weeks, so there is round about one week left.
And if there are problems with a new release it could last even longer...
Of course these are "retails"... "experimentals" you'll find as PTC's.

Stugabaranda
Adventurer
Forgive my ignorance. I can't access the PTC (the oculus mobile app tells me it's full). But is the v50 upgrade only for PTC members or is it being released to everyone?
M0RIATY
Adventurer

3 weeks since this thread started and the roll out began, yet still no update on either both my quest 2 or Pro, these long rollouts are a joke!

Ggizzle_s.o.g
Expert Protege

that’s good me and you we can relate

Ggizzle_s.o.g
Expert Protege

hey ya, everything just for myself

Ggizzle_s.o.g
Expert Protege

I really appreciate your IDs

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

hi, i got to update to v50 manually.
first thing: you don't miss anything, only direct touch works and badly too.
Second multitasking doesn't work for me despite being a "sold" feature as non-experimental.
Third point, you're really better off waiting for an official release that works really well.

Buetigame
Expert Protege

I've got the v50 today... and it is "official".
Features also rolled out by waves, maybe activated later after update the firmware.

Another info about this update:
- Version: 50,0,0,195,257,454885341
- Runtime: 50,0,0,195,257,454883482
- OS Vers: user-50163300257300150 (Quest2)
- OS Vers: user-49845030259200400 (Quest)

As you can see... the Quest 1 was updated to "v50", but OS-Version keeps v49.
(of course with a newer build ;-))

Everything works as it shoud, as far as I can see in some minutes testing...

Stugabaranda
Adventurer
Hi
Anche i too have this data:
Version: 5000195257454885341
Runtime version: 5000195257454883482
OS version: user-50163300257300150

the only difference is that due to my impatience I updated manually.
Please do you have any suggestions to understand the possible reasons why multitasking doesn't work for me?
I'm thinking of doing a factory reset but if it comes to waiting at this point I look inspired by you who have been rewarded by your patience.
I would really appreciate some advice
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Buetigame wrote:

I've got the v50 today... and it is "official".
Features also rolled out by waves, maybe activated later after update the firmware.

Another info about this update:
- Version: 50,0,0,195,257,454885341
- Runtime: 50,0,0,195,257,454883482
- OS Vers: user-50163300257300150 (Quest2)
- OS Vers: user-49845030259200400 (Quest)

As you can see... the Quest 1 was updated to "v50", but OS-Version keeps v49.
(of course with a newer build ;-))

Everything works as it shoud, as far as I can see in some minutes testing...

I also got v50 updates for my Q2, QPro, and the Oculus Desktop app.  All seems to be working fine but like you said, not all features (like touch) came with this.  Probably to roll out soon I guess.

Going in/out of Air Link with my QPro seems a little better now.  My Q2 was still a little cranky going back and forth with Air Link.  I found it best to go into the quick settings/settings/system/Link.  Then wait for the wifi connection things to refresh and go green.  Then use the go to link from this screen, then launch, and then it launched my Rift home (void with dashboard) ok.

Performance seems about the same (= good).  I'm always pretty happy when updates don't brick anything, lol!

Edit; using 200mbps Dynamic bitrates with both headsets (using Rift dashboard menu to set it, ODT at 0).  SteamVR apps seem to work better/smoother with dynamic bitrates for some reason?

MayGem
Honored Guest

What is the Headset Version number for this release? Mine is glitching ever since the last one and it won't update but I can't tell if it's the last one or this one? My headset Version # is 49882890235800150

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Ok, updated to v50 on my Quest 2. With Direct Touch enabled I can't seem to multi-task up to 3 - 2D apps any more.

Also how do you 2D multi-task from a 3D app/game. I started a 3D games like Bait!, opened the universal menu, opened app library and clicked on Browser and it tells me I have to quit the app (Bait!).

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

I also noticed that with the small direct touch panel you can't open 3 tabs. if you want the three tabs without totally disabling the direct touch you have to go to the quick settings menu and tap on "more windows" button, you'll notice, i think it's new as a button.

. It will revert to large panels, you can use three as before, and you will only be able to use direct touch on the dock buttons.... although i noticed that it works also on the big panels too and I found it a lot of fun to jump in and dive in to use direct touch that too.
Multitasking doesn't work for me either. I also wrote it this morning but everything is silent and I'm interfacing with assistance.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Ok, thanks for the info on the "more windows" settings.

Since Meta usually rolls out new features in a piecemeal fashion perhaps we just have to wait for the 2D app multi-tasking.

I wish we would get notifications when some bit has been added.

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

Not at all. we hope to receive satisfaction as soon as possible. after all, I don't think I paid any less for the Quest 2 than someone already enjoying the fully functional upgrade. some clarity on when we will have a stable release would be appreciated. Thanks

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Ghost hands are back!

For now if you enable the Direct Touch option on the Quest 2.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Changes to Quick Access:

Universal Menu shows on 2D apps that you have run. Explore shows on 3D apps.

Meta has always rolled out updates in pieces. In some case For instance recently the changes to environments. In the case of the pin app to universal menu feature it was delayed in roll out and then later taken away in the same release. Personally I liked that feature.

Buetigame
Expert Protege

"Edit; using 200mbps Dynamic bitrates with both headsets (using Rift dashboard menu to set it, ODT at 0).  SteamVR apps seem to work better/smoother with dynamic bitrates for some reason?"

That's my favorite setting and it works as good as always :up:

Also 2D Multitask while playing in 3D works very well, but it's some kind of useless for me. Also direct touch is no option for me under "experimental" (or elsewhere), so we have to wait 😉

Fyaun
Honored Guest

edit: after writing this I realized that pressing the Oculus menu button again will snap the panel to your new position in room scale.

Loving Direct Touch, but Tablet Mode panel positioning is a bit awkward. I'd like to be able to move it freely, but it seems tethered to the center of the guardian space.

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

hi, yesterday I accessed the PTC from the Meta Quest mobile app. Considering that I have v50 but multitasking doesn't want to work I would like to know if with a factory reset I could be lucky enough to also get multitasking since the servers should see that they are in the PTC?

Benjabah
Honored Guest

yes, same

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Is it me or is v50 unstable. Apps just seem to freeze up or crash out to my home/universal memory. Mostly use Video viewers like Skybox, Pigasus, DeoVR, Moon VR and Play'a VR. All of them will crash ever so often when playing a video. These were fairly stable before v50 and rarely crashed.

Bladerah
Expert Protege

2D app multitasking is not working for me at all and I’m now even on the v51 update. Anyone else missing this? I’m always missing something.

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

Ciao, anch'io sono nella stessa situazione.
Ormai sono giunto alla triste consapevolezza che i nostri dispositivi non sono realmente nostri ma vengono utilizzati da Meta per i loro esperimenti.
Ma io dico... ma non hanno i visori per fare i loro test prima di rilasciare gli aggiornamenti? È davvero assurdo che un utente debba avere un dispositivo semifunzionante e per di più debba anche aspettare tempi indefiniti per far funzionare quanto messo per iscritto dallo stesso Meta. oltre a questo anche la beffa di ritrovarsi con la versione 51 e senza tutte le funzioni della v50. Roba da matti! It is true that being part of the PTC you are aware of receiving beta versions of the firmware, but it is also true that anyone who agrees to transform their viewer into a laboratory guinea pig should also receive support. For example, I contacted the assistance center reporting the multitasking problem, they said they would take care of it and have you seen them more than ten days ago?

Bladerah
Expert Protege

This is so disappointing. I likely won’t have any indication that it works so I will have to keep checking indefinitely since there is no setting to turn off or on.

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

I advise you not to keep checking. rather enjoy the device for what it is and without expectations. and don't expect help..., here apparently we only play whoever has it longer (the oculus link cable).

Bladerah
Expert Protege

I understand where you are coming from and normally that is how I see things. I have just had some bad issues with their support as a whole when it comes to updates and features missing. I feel like I need to be vigilant about it to have a chance at a fix.

yura.khaltin
Honored Guest

I need in-game multitasking so badly, but on my Meta Quest 2 it doesn't work yet... Any information about getting it? Do I need to do something to get it? Thanks!

Benjabah
Honored Guest

Hallo Stugabaranda,

That the multitasking doesnt work is because of a setting or because of the date you made your Account. I factory Rosetten my quest and it didnt work. The only think that the meta Support told me that i can do is to wait.

Have a nice day,

Benjabah

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

Ciao @Benjaba

ciao, ne sono a conoscenza. Sinceramente non mi interessa sapere perché non funziona perché sono un utente e mi interessa solo che funzioni tutto e vorrei che Meta prendesse nota delle nostre segnalazioni e lo facesse senza far finta di niente. non prendetemi in giro con "l'attesa" perché nei contesti seri le scadenze sono fissate e qui siamo nel limbo totale. come già accennato, sono sempre più convinto che Meta si arroghi il diritto di testare il firmware sui dispositivi delle persone e poi abbandoni chi come noi si trova in difficoltà ai propri dispositivi. grazie per la spiegazione sulla data di creazione dell'account ma per me tutto questo non ha una logica. se viene rilasciato un aggiornamento, tutto ciò che si aspetta deve funzionare, punto.il multitasking nella missione 2 non è nemmeno specificato come funzionalità sperimentale, quindi se Come previsto con v50 deve funzionare per me. non solo non funziona qui (e sono anche su v51) ma vedo che tutti quelli che si lamentano dello stesso problema vengono ignorati. ora capisco la tendenza e da consumatrice non posso fare altro che trarre le mie conclusioni e adeguarmi al futuro nella scelta e nel consigliare i prodotti Meta ad amici e parenti. l'unica cosa di valore che ho visto finora è il servizio di assistenza che probabilmente è consapevole delle mancanze tecniche e almeno sa "addolcire" la situazione con la cortesia e qualche dolcetto.Vi farò sapere se e quando il problema sarà risolto ma non credo ci sarà modo di spiegare come visto che è chiaro che con Meta I'm not given to know and understand what they are doing with MY device.
Good day to you too

Stugabaranda

Think you I will try and get that done 

• this sounds really crazy to me 
  • Do you mind explaining alittle more to me before I say what I was going to replay to your comments on.

What is you don't have a way to use the windows 11 

I wish there was but as far as I know there is no way to make it go any faster then it already is 

Only three weeks what's the point in that then I really would like to know thanks 

yura.khaltin
Honored Guest

My Quest 2 updated to v51 today. Now in-game multitasking works. I can check browser while Quest 2 native game runs.

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

hello, I wanted to let you know that this morning I found the 2d multitaskig working. unfortunately I can not explain why this was possible because I turned on the device, I tried to open the browser and this time it opened while I was running a 3d app. obviously it would be nice of Meta to notify the user when he is about to get his hands on the device, but now it is useless to argue since this is their way of doing things.
I can't even tell you if multitasking now works for me as a result of the many complaints I've made to the assistance center because despite it working I haven't received any emails confirming that they've taken steps to resolve the malfunction. I hope that you too and all those who were without multitask have now seen that the v50 has been an official release for almost a month and it would be absurd that today there are still people who cannot enjoy its functions.

Buetigame
Expert Protege

Mine is v50.0.0.195... and 3D/2D multitasking works as it schould.
Also direct touch, no arms anymore, fluid change between controller and hands and more.

But not with update to v50 - some weeks later.

So these changes have nothing to do with the update to v51 on your device.

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

Maybe you misunderstood. I don't think I wrote that v51 is needed to have 2d multitasking, in fact I wrote that I don't even know why and how I find it now.
I just wanted to warn the other user that I now have the feature, period.
I don't know what you are referring to and what you wanted to call me back on with "these changes have nothing to do with upgrading to v51".