cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of April 27th, 2023 and will be pushed to Meta Quest Pro and Meta Quest 2 headsets. 

Parental Supervision content filters for Meta Quest Browser

We are adding the ability to block access to certain website categories  in Meta Quest Browser (examples: adult content, alcohol/tobacco, weapons, etc.). Once you’ve turned on Parental Supervision, parents can enable these content filters from the Meta Quest mobile app. 

WIFI 6E support for Meta Quest Pro

If you have a Quest Pro, you can now connect to WiFi 6 GHz networks for lower latency and faster, more consistent download and upload speeds.

Advanced camera settings leaving Experimental Features

Advanced camera settings are moving from Experimental Features to the Camera tab under Settings. You can use these advanced settings to capture VR gameplay videos at different frame rates, aspect ratios, bit rates, and with image stabilization.

Stereo audio for video recording

We are beginning to roll out stereo audio for video recording. All video captures will record stereo audio instead of monophonic audio.

Update apps during shutdown

When you shutdown your headset, you will now have the option to update apps before the headset powers off. This will help minimize the number of app updates that you have to complete the next time you want to jump into a VR app or game.

• This will be rolling out gradually. 

Text readout on system keyboard

A readout will show up when you are using the system keyboard. This will allow you to quickly glance at what you’re typing in VR and make easy edits and should reduce eye and neck strain.

Select time zone and edit time

You will now be able to select the time zone on your headset and manually edit the displayed time. To do this, select the date at the top of the Quick Settings panel.

VR notification grouping

Multiple notifications from a specific app will now be grouped together, allowing you to more efficiently interact with them. 

Twitch.tv on Meta Quest Browser

You can now log in to Twitch.tv from Meta Quest Browser. Access content, chat with friends, and watch and subscribe to your favorite Twitch streamers in VR. 

65 Comments
Stugabaranda
Adventurer

hello @Ryanality and thanks for the announcement!
net of the important improvements of which I pleasantly note,in megathread v53 ptc I reported the following problems on my Quest 2, for which unfortunately I have not received any feedback:
- sofa and desk that were no longer seen in my house,
- gray armrests are back also in direct touch mode (instead of transparent hands) -
completely disappeared mixed reality menu in guardian panel
- couch mode switch and desk mode switch disappeared.
when i got the official v51 all these problems are gone.
can you please update me on the real situation of v53?
honestly i have blocked updates but only because im worried about loosing the stability and peace i found by exiting ptc and getting the official v51 and i hope the above was just a temporary issue while testing v53 and not a radical change of the system decided by Meta, such as the one concerning the disappearance of the link to the home from the Oculus Link dashboard which took place without any notice to users and has still remained without official clarifications.

dojjah
Protege

Hello @Ryanality,

I'm on v53 and my Quest Pro will not connect to my 6GHz network.  My device is enrolled in PTC, should I expect another update which may resolve this issue before v53 is deployed to production (disabling PTC currently gives a downgrade option to v51) or should I reach out to Meta store support regarding the problem? 

I have worked with my router's support team to determine the 6GHz network is functioning properly, they have suggested there's an issue with my device, but it's unclear to me where we're at with this PTC cycle and if the current build I'm running will be the same as a final release.  Any clarity would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey dojjah! I've been chatting with the engineering team and they would like to get some logs from the Quest Pro to see if there's a band steering issue or something else causing this behavior. I'm going to have the CS team reach out to you here in PM first to create a ticket so that a technician can follow up via email.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi! I'm working on getting some more details for you around what mixed reality changes were included in v53. I'll follow up with you in our PM conversation when I've gotten any news I can share.

Buetigame
Expert Protege

No pinned release threads anymore?
Wrote this on 26th April:

I've found the (reitail!) firmware 51.0.0.182 on my headset (Q2) today...
   (along with desktop app 51.0.0.168.269 by the way)
   What's up with it?

No words on v51, updated my device and desktop app just one day before next release?
Sorry, but that's not understandable anymore.

Anyway, there are other things aroud the release of v53 mentioned:
* neues Dashboard Design
* contrast slider (also for Quest 2!)
* "lay down" mode - perfect for movies!
* display brightness compensation (Quest pro)
* native eye-tracking for VR-Chat (Quest pro)

Nothing ist metioned here... 

Dosker
Explorer

The native eye-tracking of VR-Chat is a update of VRChat, not from this update. 

And Eye-Tracking was already working before v53 PTC, any app or game can make updates to suport it.

M0RIATY
Adventurer

I'm on the PTC for v53 and as far as anyone there is concerned it's far from ready for release so what gives with this thread ? People have reported lots of bugs and glitch's since the second V53 was pushed out in the PTC and yet we haven't received another update since ? Have these bugs been fixed ? When will we get another update ? Does anyone connected to meta bother to read these threads anymore ?

dojjah
Protege

I just got another v53 update today by disabling PTC in the mobile app and checking for update in headset, which I believe to be the "final" release version.  Be careful though, if you disable PTC in the PC app it will downgrade to v51 which does not work with v53 in headset - learned that the hard way.

All of that said, my issues still persist - it will not connect to my 6e 6GHz network and some apps/games have terrible performance, RE4VR is unplayable running very choppy/low frame rate.  I am working with Meta support on the 6e issue.

dojjah
Protege

Hi @Ryanality ,

As an update to this, the Meta support person who is currently working on my ticket has just suggested that I'll have a better experience trying to use a USB-C cable with my PC in regard to my Wifi 6e issue...

I hope you can understand that saying I'm frustrated with this is an extreme understatement.  I agree with your thoughts this is a band steering issue - I'd really like to help you and the dev team solve this problem as currently your Wifi 6e implementation is broke, but support is telling me not to use it instead.

The release notes of v53 clearly state Quest Pro now supports Wifi 6e, is it a non-standard implementation?  Do I have a defective Quest Pro which can't connect to 6GHz networks?  Is support implying that the Quest Pro only works with certain Wifi 6e routers?  Which routers if that's the case?  Clarity would be appreciated, from myself and others.  Thank you.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @dojjah, that's a little odd I must say, but likely they meant it as a "to get things working while this is being investigated". I'll check out the ticket and see what's going on there. I have a few folks on the engineering side looking into this too. My suspicion, shared with the team investigating is that it's a problem with how the bandwidth steering is taking place. I think that this is likely a software or network configuration issue, not a problem with your headset itself.

You could test that out if you have the ability to connect to a 6GHz wireless network which has its own unique SSID and doesn't rely on the bandwidth steering, which is where I suspect the issue is cropping up.

But I'll let you know as soon as I have an update from the team investigating. 

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Version number of official v53? I'm on PTC now, does it update automatically to official v53 version?

ohdubya
Honored Guest

So frustrating. V53 is causing issues with proximity sensor on my Quest Pro. I have to physically cover it, or disable it via ODH.

Issues first started with V53 PTC, but went back to normal with V51 Public, which caused a factory reset. Then I got V53 Public got pushed onto my HMD and proximity sensor is acting up again. I re-enrolled in PTC to see if there'd be an improvement, but it wiped my headset again and the proximity sensor issues continue.

Controller tracking also seems inconsistent and often appear offset through multiple sleep/wakes. My lighting has been consistent since buying QP at launch. Sooo frustrating.

Cookies-N-Scream
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

I found an article about PTC and updates, if you wanna check it out here. Basically, if you're on PTC you'll be ahead of or equivalent to public release.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @ohdubya, there's a fix for a proximity sensor issue rolling out now for v53 users now. It's slowly rolling out, so just make sure your headset is powered up and on the charger and it should get the update automatically when it's deployed to your Quest Pro.

Buetigame
Expert Protege

My Quest2 updated to v53, Desktop-App stays at v51 and everything works like it should.
Both release channel, no PTC. So I don't know, what you are taking about?

Got no issues, but also no features except of the new menu design.
I really would change the time, which is 2h off... since release of the Q2.
(a matter of a wrong timezone which is fixed to UTC obviously)

But where are the features of the v53, as I've mentioned before:
* contrast slider (also for Quest 2!)
* "lay down" mode - perfect for movies!

Very stange...

ImXL
Protege

I am having the same issue. Couch disappeared after V53, along with the Mixed Reality setting altogether.

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

I noticed and reported this already weeks ago, when i got the first ptc v53...
Knowing the problem, as soon as I received official v51 I immediately disabled the automatic updates of my Quest 2.
I personally will make sure to stay on v51 as much as possible. v53 for my personal needs has nothing worth upgrading for, especially if its implementation involves a loss of mixed reality experimental functions for a fixed or indefinite period. moreover, the inclusion of a sofa and a desk weren't experimental features, but there has always been a "mixed reality" section within the guardian settings, which had nothing to do with the room setup in "experimental features"
I advise those who are still on v51 and who care about to still see your sofa and desk in the home, to inform themselves and decide to try to stay on v51 until there is time since the official v53 is now arriving on all devices.
I precise that I only have a Quest 2 and I don't know if v53 has had these effects on the Quest Pro as well.

ImXL
Protege

I noticed this in PTC as well, but hoped (too optimistically) that the full release would not have this problem. I submitted this bug during PTC. I guess nobody is reading them. What is the point of PTC then?

I am using a Quest Pro.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone! There are some changes in the works with room setups and with v53, the experimental desk and couch setup options were removed in favor of a more complete room setup. Room setup allows a user to draw the walls of their room and add objects into it.

I know this is disappointing news for everyone who enjoyed the earlier versions, but we hope you enjoy using the new options that are rolling out. It's always difficult when we have to make the call to change or remove experimental features. 

I've made sure the team knows that some of you have mentioned missing the desk and couch features, and that you're hoping for their return, but updated and compatible with the new framework being deployed.

ImXL
Protege

NOOOO! The room setup is so time consuming. Few people are going to use it unless it becomes automatic.

Right now, a simple couch is all we need. After a tiring standing session, I want to sit down without taking off my headset, and continue using it. I don't want to setup the walls in my oddly shaped room just to get the couch back. Couch and desk are actually useful. What's the point of those walls? Are there any apps taking advantage of it?

Buetigame
Expert Protege

A complete room setup is much better than put some furniture somewhere.

After a tiring standing session, I just doubletap the HMD to activate pass through.
You may walk through the whole building and find again your playspace easy.
(without putting off your HMD of course)

The combination of v53 firmware and v51 desktop app works very well.

RinkZea
Explorer

Some Quest Pro users (including me) have been experiencing issus with the controllers not being able to connect to the headset at all since v51 PTC, which still isn't fixed in v53 Release.

I am pretty sure it is not a hardware problem because: 1. I have tried to pair these controllers with my Quest 2 and everything is working perfectly after several sleeps/reboots. 2. Ppl who have replace their device with a brand new one through RMA still experiencing the same problem.

Hope Meta could locate the problem and fix it asap while I am currently not living in a country where I can get RMA.

you can find them in these threads:

https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Announcements/PTC-v53-Release-Megathread/m-p/1047315/highlight...

https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Announcements/PTC-v53-Release-Megathread/m-p/1044478/highlight...

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/126nddy/v51_update_broke_quest_pro_controllers/

https://www.reddit.com/r/QuestPro/comments/12pw45s/quest_pro_v51_controllers_will_not_communicate/

ImXL
Protege

A complete room setup for what? What do you use those walls for? And it looks like you aren't even using the couch, the only useful furniture in the room.

jdawg46.1976
Protege

Anyone that is posting anything about that they got a version update but is not posting the version they have. Stop it. Like how hard is it to check? 

TheodonKhel
Expert Protege

After v53 got released officially my controllers went haywire. They freeze often for 2,3 seconds making any game unplayable. Happens in standalone apps, Air Link and VD. Guardian clearing, pairing controllers again, factory resets didnt solve this issue. Nothing in my environment has changed (light, WiFi, PC software etc)

jdawg46.1976
Protege

Finally got the v54 update. Will keep an eye out for release notes. Not sure what has changed just yet.

PapoMester
Honored Guest

Hi. I got the old 64GB Quest 2. Last week was working fine with v51. Today I saw many new things when started the device and the whole performance went out of the window. I checked and it was updated to v53. The whole device is unusable now. I played Resident Evil 4 last week with very good performance. Now it feels like 5 fps at max. Is there any way to go back to v51 until v53 gets fixed?

eden.437170
Explorer

On the v53 PTC, many bugs and glitches have been reported, but there hasn't been an update since the second release. It's unclear if these issues have been resolved, and people are questioning if Meta still reads these threads.

readthis13
Honored Guest

I'm on version v54, and my Quest Pro (that's 1.5 weeks old) cannot see the SSID for the 6Ghz network. I have a SSID setup for it specifically, with only the 6Ghz channel enabled (so no band steering needed), and my MacBook Pro M2 connects just fine (and is what I'm currently using to write this). 

I have no issues seeing the SSID and connecting to the 5Ghz WiFi 6 SSID on the Quest Pro. I've tried a number of channels on the 6Ghz network (37 and 53), but again, the Quest Pro doesn't even see the SSID. And, the MBP does without issue. Not sure what else to do here, but it would seem as though 6e does not work at this time (at least for me).

The network device is a Ubiquiti U6 Enterprise In-Wall.

jdawg46.1976
Protege

join the club. yet...we dont get much back from Meta on this issue. consider yourself lucky, my quest pro sees my 6ghz network fine, but it will disconnect a few minutes after I get into an airlink session. then it wont see it for up to 5 minutes, but if it does still happen to see it, it tells me the access point is temporarily full- which its not. I bought a new router that will arrive Saturday just so i can test it, but I expect the same **bleep** results. I wish meta would say "we are still working on 6e connectivity" instead of letting us believe its all good. i put in a meta support request and the guy pretty much said that, but you may not see anything official on that.

readthis13
Honored Guest

Being that this is in public beta, I suppose some of this is to be expected. I'm guessing they have some issues to work through, and the more people that speak up, the better chance we'll be at getting a fix. I know there's a 6e bug in Android 12 (I'm not sure what the Quest Pro is running or if it's related), and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this, but my AP does broadcast a "wifi6e-control" SSID that is hidden, and can't be connected to. Ubiquiti has said (within their forums) that this is by design due to the bug (which they don't explain), but doesn't cause any issues. This post was written about it, but it's only accessible if you have Early Access (and an account). I mention it as maybe it'll help with Meta's troubleshooting. 

I'd have been fine w/ the 5Ghz connection as I'm seeing 1700-2500 Mbps, but I'm having repeated tracking issues w/ the controllers when connected to a PC via Airlink & Remote Desktop (I've tried 2 now, both with 4090's, both on Ethernet w/ one on a 10Gb switch). I'm not sure what I'll do here, and might consider trying a USB to see if that helps matters, but I might need to consider returning the Quest Pro altogether. I can deal with a lot of issues, but repeated failures in tracking isn't one of them... 

jdawg46.1976
Protege

quest pro is running android 12 as of v53, glad you mentioned that about the bug. Will do some research although i am sure i wont find a fix, good to know its a known issue. i also have a 4090, running on my 5ghz and getting good response and no tracking issues, so Im good for now, but I spent $600 on my router just for the 6e. oh well, i have wasted more money than that on dumb **bleep**...

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Recently updated to v53. I don't see much different from previous release.

Different graphics on the power/battery icon and I can drag and drop apps from the app library panel to one of the multi-task panels and the File Browser app removed is about it.

The last few release seem to have so little changes why not call them "dot" releases?

Artins
Protege

After updating to v53 I am noticing some strange artifacts at the very right edge of the FOV (right eye) when using Oculus Link over USB.
They happen only when turning the headset quickly from side to side and they look like white static noise, like the noise you would get on an old analog TV without signal.
I confirmed that it doesn't happen in native Quest apps, so far I tried to reinstall the PC client but it didn't solve the issue. The PC is running an Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti with the latest drivers.

jdawg46.1976
Protege

hey all people with the 6e connectivity problem. Some guy on reddit noticed that he was having trouble with wifi 6(5ghz) on his controllers but felt like the problem was to do with wpa3, so he set it to wpa2, and his problems went away. Another guy made a suggestion about 6e, but you can only have wpa3 or open enhanced(no authentication) on 6e. I then set my router to do open enhanced on my 6e, and mac address authentication and did not have any drops so far. Going to test further, but if your router can do it(should be able if its a 6e). So far so good. Give it a shot the people with wifi 6e issues.

readthis13
Honored Guest

Wifi 6e is 6Ghz, and that's what I'm having issues with. No issues w/ 5Ghz. Aside from controller tracking issues. No way I can get 100% on any Beatsaber song. The controller will just stop, or lag, or freeze in mid swing (just staying on screen in one place), and so on. This is while I'm connected at 2000Mbps+ WiFi 6 connection.

RuinerD
Honored Guest

Same here! Glitchy snow / static using Airlink or VD. Just happens in the right side of the headset, but is fairly distracting. Emerged after this update. Also have a 3080ti.

AxylMaverick
Honored Guest

I am also having this problem and its soooo frustrating. Same thing for me, right side lens 😵. I have an RTX 2060.... I sent Meta a support request. Let me know if it is fixed because I'm putting mine away until it is.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Well the ghost hands are gone in Direct Touch. I knew it was too good to last. No reason for me to use Direct Touch now.

I noticed since updating to v53 when I want to quit an app by pressing the Oculus button the headset freezes up and the Universal Menu and Quit/Resume screen doesn't show. After a while and "App is not responding - Close App or Wait" screen pops up and I can close the app and continue. Sometimes I have to restart the headset to continue.

rockcat
Explorer

They weren't experimental features.

AMidnightSoul
Honored Guest

You’re right, the simple couch and desk setups were NOT experimental features. Not sure why @Ryanality  said that, but the whole room setup is an experimental feature and does not work well in a large non-square space with vaulted ceilings.  The couch set up is also different because you have to start tracing at the floor and work up, which doesn’t work well with sectionals or chaise lounges. It’s definitely a loss of usability for me. 

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

HI. what you say is more than accurate because the sofa and desk could be added regardless of the experimental functions and the "mixed reality" menu, which was previously present in the guardian panel.
With v53 "mixed reality" reappears only if you perform the room setup in sperental functions, but it allows you to see only the borders of the elements you add, and only the borders of the desk and sofa that are no longer visible.
I absolutely agree that it was very annoying to map L-shaped sofas (I did it but with a lot of imagination and letting you imagine the bad results).
From the v54 release notes it looks like they are working on it.
Moreover, on reddit we read that it seems that the developer of Custom Home Mapper is collaborating with Meta so we could expect some concrete improvements, considering the excellent work he has done with spatial anchors and the mapping of multiple rooms, possibile in his app.

Mizyks301
Honored Guest

my quest 2 started to have microstutters since the new update. it's weird. it's really bad at 72hz and playable with 120hz. i do simracing and really can't play with microstutters. really frustrated when update comes and pretty much ruins your device...

ImXL
Protege

Please vote to bring Couch and Desk back.

https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Ideas/Bring-Back-the-Couch-and-Desk-in-Virtual-Reality/idi-p/1...

Room Setup is for mixed reality; Couch and Desk is to bring real objects into virtual reality. Given that Quest 2 is NOT a mixed reality device, we need the later, not the former. Meta is probably already thinking about Quest 3. But you should not leave Quest 2 users behind.

Nubash
Explorer

[Quest Pro]I have white pixel artefacts on buttom of display. they flicker randomly in dark areas. Could you fix this Devs please?

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

same on my quest 2 updated on official v53. this problem has been widely reported by other users during the distribution of ptc v53. I hope that with v54 Meta has taken this into account because you have the feeling of having a broken display on the right side of the point of view.

vaizor
Protege

Hello, v53 introduced heavy glitching/artifacting to the displays when using Airlink/Quest link. I bought this device only last Wednesday and it basically is broken due to this issue. Please fix this

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi! I can confirm the team is aware of that issue and are actively working on it.

vaizor
Protege

Thank you for your response. Where would be the best place to keep an eye out for when this fix goes live? The releases don't really seem to mention bugfixes in the announcements. 

AxylMaverick
Honored Guest

You the man Ryan! Thank you for acknowledging our reports on this forum! Please let us know when it’s fixed.