cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Starting today, you’re no longer required to log into your Meta VR devices using a Facebook account. Find out all about Meta accounts and Meta Horizon profiles on our blog post. You can now set up a Meta account using your email address or Facebook account.

If you currently access Meta VR products with an Oculus account, you can continue doing so until January 1st, 2023. After that date, you’ll need to set up a Meta account to continue using your VR device.

Meta accounts give you more choice when it comes to how you log into VR and whether Facebook and Instagram are part of your experience. When you set up a Meta account, we’ll migrate your existing information (including apps, achievements, and friends) to this account so you can dive back in.

To learn more, watch our tutorial video. To get started, visit our website or open the Oculus mobile app.

76 Comments
Danamir
Protege

After creating my new Meta account via email, I can no longer log-in in to neither oculus.com websites or Oculus Desktop. My device was correctly linked to the new account, so I have my Quest app, but that's it. No more desktop VR for now. I hope the problem will be corrected soon.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Meta accounts are starting to become available today. If you can't create your account just yet or are having trouble logging in after creating your Meta account, please wait a few hours and try again. Thanks for your patience!

Danamir
Protege

Thanks. I can confirm I have now access to the Oculus Desktop and AirLink, with Meta account.

The only thing not working is the Oculus Android app, I'll try again later.

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

I just updated my firmware on the headset, but the transition process is still saying it's not up-to-date.  What version are you showing as the most recent firmware - the entire number?  Thanks.

Danamir
Protege

Hi, my firmware version is : 43.0.0.178.120.389405224 (execution version : 43.0.0.178.120.389406401).

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

Perfect!  Exactly the same.  I'll proceed now.  Thanks so much, as I'm sure it will help others too!

kojack
MVP
MVP

So far it's worked smoothly. Desktop and Quest 2 now on a Meta account with no Facebook account.

In the Quest 2, it popped up a panel asking me to sign in with facebook or oculus account. I clicked the close button on the bottom left. That brought up a code to type into meta.com/devices. Once I did that, my headset was on the Meta account and did a reboot.

Broichan
Honored Guest

After updating my Oculus developer/Facebook --> Meta.com, I've encountered the same issue. Oculus PC app won't authenticate, which leads to an unresolvable website. I uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh copy of Oculus for PC and received an error message that this version is no longer supported. Given my investment in PC VR content, I sure hope this is resolved soon.

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

Try clearing all your browser history, or at least any oculus website references (and cookies).  Worked for me.

Make sure you also allow pop-ups too, in your browser, for the oculus website, so it can redirect you back to the Oculus Desktop client.

Broichan
Honored Guest

Everything seems to be working now, I just had to go have lunch first 😉

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

Lunch always helps.  LOL.  Glad you're all set.  🙂

vax4
Explorer

Bonjour ,

ayant acquit un casque Quest 2 256Go , en occasion , comme neuf , suite a l'annonce de la création des ces comptes Méta offrant la possibilité de plus avoir besoin de compte Facebook , j'ai effectué , ce soir le transfert avec succès . La procédure est assez simple . Ayant crée un compte Facebook , juste pour me servir du casque , j'ai , ce soir , supprimer mon compte Facebook dans la foulée . On peut bien paramétrer son compte Méta sur un accès à usage personnel comme je l'avais fait pour le compte Facebook . Tout est fonctionnel , je n'avais pour l'instant pas acheter de jeux mais ma bibliothèque affiche mes applications téléchargées sur le store . 

A suivre ..................

kojack
MVP
MVP

I don't know if this is related, but my Oculus Go now won't work.

It's stuck on 3 cycling dots even after rebooting. It was working fine a few weeks ago.

Does the new meta account thing break the Go?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@kojack wrote:

I don't know if this is related, but my Oculus Go now won't work.

It's stuck on 3 cycling dots even after rebooting. It was working fine a few weeks ago.

Does the new meta account thing break the Go?

Thanks for letting know this mate (I also have a Go that I occasionally use).  I think I'll hold off updating all this new Meta stuff until the dust settles, maybe next month or two.  Only annoying thing I've noticed is that I seem to need to do an extra button press to select my Oculus account before signing into this forum.  Thanks again mate and cheers..

kojack
MVP
MVP

Progress.

I blocked my Go's mac address on my router.

After a short time it was able to start up correctly. I unblocked and restarted the Go, it's working now.

The account stuff is still the old one (shows my full name in the profile). There's an update available, I'll try that once my Go is over 50% charge (at 48%, won't let me update).

kojack
MVP
MVP

The update didn't change anything.

My Go is working fine now, except it is still on the old profile system, not the new one. The mobile app accepts it.

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

Have dinner, or something to eat, and come back to it; it worked for the other person.  😉

Buetigame
Expert Protege

I'm in, coming from my Oculus account and everything works, like it shoud.

Dev-account, new Meta account, "old" Horizon profile, Q2, Desktop-App and also AirLink.

Nice work Meta!

@Broichan : you'll led to an authentication website, wich call's the Desktop-App with an extension.

Even my Script/Ad-Blocker let them do their thing 😉

almightyzacpac
Explorer

It appears the developer account used in my organisation had its API token revoked after the migration. Also, there seems to be issues with generating API tokens from the command-line using the OVR Platform Utility. Is anyone else having this issue?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@almightyzacpac wrote:

It appears the developer account used in my organisation had its API token revoked after the migration. Also, there seems to be issues with generating API tokens from the command-line using the OVR Platform Utility. Is anyone else having this issue?

Not really relevant to most users imho.  Maybe contact oculus support and/or see if you can get any help within the Developers forum by starting a new thread there.  I see that you have requested for mods to move it but there should be nothing stopping you from reposting it there.

almightyzacpac
Explorer

It appears I yet again posted in the wrong area. Disregard, will repost in the developer area where it should've originally been.

brandoncainpl
Honored Guest

HI.

I've created meta account. But now I'm going to buy Quest 2. How to do it if I have to still log via facebook to finalise transaction?

SloT24rus
Honored Guest

Hello! I successfully transferred my account to Meta, but now my oculus pc is not logged into my account it says that the version of the application is not supported, reinstalling did not help

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@SloT24rus wrote:

Hello! I successfully transferred my account to Meta, but now my oculus pc is not logged into my account it says that the version of the application is not supported, reinstalling did not help

I also made the mistake of converting over to a Meta account too soon and now I cannot even access Air Link.  Unbelievable, lol!

jorisw
Honored Guest

My problem is that the oculus software tells me its no longer supported after I transferred to a Meta account. Had a screen once to login through a browser but that didn't work. Have installed PC software fresh and now get the following message: Screenshot 2022-08-24 153038.png

OldTC
Explorer

Yup same with me. The PC app no longer works. It's the app I used the most. Says version of app not supported but unable to find an update. I need link to work. This is annoying trying to keep all these log ins. Even with this forum not sure what to use the Oculus, Facebook, or now Meta log in? What a mess.

oddrationale
Honored Guest

With the introduction of Meta Accounts, has there been any change in how Test Users are created?

I created a new Test User yesterday (2022-08-23) and noticed I was not able to log in with Facebook with the new test user, even though the documentation mentions that a Facebook Test User account is automatically created. It appears that only a Meta Account is created now? Can you confirm?

I have the opposite situation with Test Users created before 2022-08-23. They have a Facebook Test User account. But when creating the new Meta Account, I can't associate the Test User email to the Meta Account.

markrlomas
Honored Guest

@Ryanality After converting to a meta account, why is it that the only way I can log into any oculus/vr services is still by being forced to "log in with facebook". Wasn't the whole point in this meant to be to seperate the accounts.. What is the difference of having this new meta login if the only way to log in is still via facebook?

This still means if I ever lost access to my facebook account I'm still locked out of any vr experiences and devices

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

As I stated earlier in the thread, I had an error the first time I tried to open the PC desktop app, after it tried to authenticate via the browser.  I cleared all my browser's history and it immediately worked.  I'm not saying that's your problem.  You might have had an older version of the app when you upgraded, but it's a quick test, so give it a try.

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

If you are doing it correctly, clicking the correct means of login (the bottom tab, login with email), it should authenticate through meta, not facebook, and you should be able to login with your email address, not via FB account.

Make sure everything (headset, phone app, and desktop app are up-to-date) before proceeding with the upgrade, as stated in the instructions. 

markrlomas
Honored Guest

It doesn't. all it says is

Login failure

Your email address or password is incorrect.

So the only way to sign in is still by having to use the facebook option
Ocunoob1010101
Protege

You are talking about when it redirects you to the browser for login, correct?

markrlomas
Honored Guest

Yes. Or say you visit the oculus store using a web browser and want to log in the only working login method is logging in with FB

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

I would clear cookies, and all history, personally, because the only glitch I ran into was solved with that simple move.  But, if that doesn't work, I'd say "forgot password", change it so you are absolutely positive you didn't make a mistake when entering it.  Also, confirm you are using the email that was associated with your oculus account - an easy oversight for those that have multiple emails they juggle.  Asking to correct the password will solve both potential issues, as it will be sent to the associated email.

markrlomas
Honored Guest

I converted to a meta account from a FB account which is how I was signing in previously. I know the password is correct because when I try to change it I get a message saying new password can't be the same as old password, and I can see the e-mail address on the account so all info is correct

cainpl
Explorer

Hey, @Ryanality how to buy Quest 2 without facebook login? Shopping cart still tells me that I have to log in to Facebook.

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

Did you clear your history?  If so, then the next thing I would try is a complete reboot of everything (phone, PC, headset).  Also, compare your headset firmware version with what was listed on the first page of this thread.

vax4
Explorer

Bonjour ,

pour l'acheter sur le site officiel , effectivement un compte Facebook est indispensable 🤔.

Alors que si on l'achète, en occasion ,  on a  plus besoin de compte Facebook pour l'utiliser ‌ ‌👍.

Je ne regrette pas mon achat , en , occasion ‌ 👌.

Il serait bien que Méta apporte une solution à cette très bonne remarque  👍.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. I only ever played on the PC via link and now all my games have gone and it's saying I need to re-buy them!?!?

OldTC
Explorer

Ok I now got the Oculus app on the P.C. to work along with link. I could not log into it or connect to it. I did a repair install to the app and then it worked. The funny thing is I was logged out of it and it did not ask me to log back in. Also it still says "friends" on the side column but in settings it say options for "followers". I have 1 friend request in the P.C. app but 5 follow requests on the headset itself. Between having 3 different log ins and different friend/following terms with disappearing requests I have no idea what's going on though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ryan - I have linked my Facebook account to the new Meta account and now my Oculus PC library is now empty and saying I need to re-buy my old games!?!?

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

Meta, for this announcement, should have explicitly stated the (minimal) versions, for the headset, the desktop app, and the phone, that one needed to have before transitioning.  Even if you think you have the most recent version of the firmware, many times there is still a newer version that still hasn't been pushed to you.  I asked a fellow user for his firmware version of the headset on page 1, so that helps.  People are going to have panic attacks that all their games are suddenly gone, when in fact it's just a version incapability with the new system.  They are not going to lose their games.  Worst case is they need to factory reset their headset, or do what you did.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I switched over yesterday after getting the email. Went relatively smoothly, and am now decoupled from Facebook and logged into my Meta account on both Quests, the phone app, and the PC app (I haven’t tried my Go, which hasn’t been used in quite a long time).

The only thing not currently working is the (hardware) store, which doesn’t give the option of signing in with anything other than Facebook.

RudySka
Explorer
Licht2047
Explorer

Hi there, after I successfully migrated my Fackbook to my new Meta account. I also managed to upgrade the Oculus PC APP and Quest2 to version V43. Everything worked fine for the first day, I could open the Oculus PC APP and use the Oculus Link normally.

But after one restart of the Oculus PC APP there was an exception:

1. The old login page appears when logging in, and when logging in with the Meta account, an error appears:
"The version of the app you are using is no longer supported. Please download the latest version to continue operation".

Licht2047_1-1661383591613.png

So, where can I download the latest version of the Oculus PC APP if I try to reinstall it? I have already tried to reinstall it by downloading the installer from https://store.facebook.com/quest/setup/. The problem is still there.

Licht2047_2-1661383832398.png

After repeated attempts, the Oculus PC APP opens to a blank inoperable state:.

Licht2047_3-1661383912965.png

HELP! HELP! HELP! 😭

Buetigame
Expert Protege

Aus you've posted in the v43 megathread on tuesday, you got the versions:

- HMD firmware: 43.0.0.178.120

- Desktop App: 43.0.0.192.173

(both non-PTC)

So I do... and it work's like a charm.

It should be no version problem on your side!

Buetigame
Expert Protege

Buy the Quest elsewhere... where is the problem?

They will fix it "anytime", but it's not as important, as the account move, right?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Buetigame wrote:

Aus you've posted in the v43 megathread on tuesday, you got the versions:

- HMD firmware: 43.0.0.178.120

- Desktop App: 43.0.0.192.173

(both non-PTC)

So I do... and it work's like a charm.

It should be no version problem on your side!

OK, finally got it all to work again by switching the preferred language a few times until I got the correct sign in panel with the Meta sign in with email option.  Selected that and now all's well.  Cheers.

BrandenZazen
Explorer

I was hoping to be able to transfer my (unfairly) disabled Facebook account to a Meta account, because all my purchased games are connected to that. It seems I cannot, so my $200 worth of purchases remain stuck in limbo. Frankly, I am so pissed off! Plus, since updating the software on my headset, I can no longer charge it beyond 53%. I know others are having exactly the same issue. 

I am really starting to think that anything linked to Meta is really not worth spending anymore time or money on. 

Buetigame
Expert Protege

With the new account concept, this couldn't happen anymore...

And I didn't regret any single Euro spent to Mata/Oculus 😉

(since 2016 three headsets und a whole bunch of games/apps)

Try to open a ticket with Oculus support and hopefully they will help you.

Only thing they have to do, is to unlink your email from FB account.