cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v.39 is starting to roll out today. Let's use this thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports along with posting here if you notice anything wrong.

When sharing feedback, try to include as much detail as possible to help the team investigate.

198 Comments
InsideCat
Explorer

It's definitely been discussed, as it's the reason I'm here too. I've been talking with support to absolutely zero avail, and come to find out, other people have been having the issue too.

BigFknCee
Explorer

Has this been acknowledged by support? I can't find any word from them on the issue. I'm on day 2 of not being able to use my headset because of this.

McSpankis
Explorer

Afaik this hasn’t been publicly acknowledged by oculus/meta’s team

Kota2300
Explorer

My library was also missing as soon as V39 installed. I can't install absolutely anything from the store, whether it's free or paid. If I sideload games that I own, I either can't open them, they close immediately, or like Dreadhalls it flat out tells me "Game Failed Entitlement Check". It thinks that we don't own ANYTHING, even a factory reset doesn't fix it. The ONLY apps that actually work, are the ones that come pre-installed on every quest straight out of the box. Please fix this, until then our headsets are completely and entirely useless. I know of 7 people so far including myself.

InsideCat
Explorer

For me, it doesn't even stop at pre-installed stuff because I factory reset. I only have Files, File Browser, Settings and Events. If I click from all to Installed, it'll also show the "Hands" and "Fit & Focus" tutorials. I literally lack everything else like the Oculus Browser, Oculus TV, VR Animation Player, Scoreboards, Voice Commands, Move, etc.

With that said, trying to manually install them via the store results in the same old infinite loading circle as someone else has described already.

Kota2300
Explorer

Yup that's where I'm at too, those are the default apps I was referring to. Though, before I factory reset I did have First Steps showing up at the bottom of my unknown sources for some reason, and that would allow me to open it.

However after factory resetting multiple times, it's not under any tab. I just have the apps you listed.

Jasminekiara
Protege

Same here! Been contacting support all week with no explanation!!!! So annoying. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Discount, Refund! Store Credit, Beta!

erkut.ekinci.7
Honored Guest

hi
oculus quest 2 how to downgrade versions
PTC V39 MEGATHREAD I installed the version but it doesn't see the remotes. can i go back to the old version

Anonymous
Not applicable

After,

No Updates Available,

Toggle button Oculus Logo,

With all Gear to Quest 2 final os releases and

PTC is releases, from day 1, all on Quest 2 v39+,

change No Updates Available to Update, and

send a Notification, when final releases are

available to download, with feature text log

description and activate download toggle,

That's my only hope!

Onward!

Blinky_SNEP
Honored Guest

For this update I found out you can change everything except Turning Guardian off it fails to restart into the menu. I have to leave guardian on the only way to fix is a factory reset. Once I did this and left Guardian on it was fine doing restarts of the headset. 

NAJBOX
Explorer

My Quest 2 is unusable since the V39 update, I can no longer install an application from the Store.

I've been in this situation for more than 3 days now. These are Alpha updates and not beta...

NAJBOX
Explorer

This shows that your DRM system is excessive, what is the point of protecting applications that are free like the internet browser.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

So no W11 support anytime soon - most likely never. What's the matter, can't afford to hire competent developers?

AngeloCarlo
Protege

Just something I wanted to bring up and I hope my opinion doesn't cause too much drama in this community forum. I just wanted you all to take a second and consider why you opted in to the PTC. Is it because your a content creator and you want to get a heads up on new features so you can share the news with your followers, are you a developer looking to stay current on new changes to the firmware that can affect what you are creating or what you have already created on the platform, are you the good samaritan who is invested into the success of Meta that you just want to be able to give your feedback on new releases (good or bad) to help better the product, or are you just a consumer of VR content that just likes having updates early for no particular reason besides the fact that you are impatient when comes to waiting for the progress of new things that interest you? 

I bring this up because if your are the later, you are probably setting yourself up for a lot of headaches and being a part of the PTC is probably not worth the apparent agony you feel when your pre-release download bugs out and you are kept from playing your favorite game. My understanding of what the working relationship is with this channel is that it is very much "give and take". Your given the opportunity to get early releases so you can work WITH Meta to better the product while taking on some of the bugs that can be expected in getting an early release. Keep in mind that when you come across issues with an early release, you are expected to report it, but you also have a responsibility in giving productive feedback on what you like and/or what can be better in the new features that are provided in these early releases. To make my point clear, the main objective of this channel is NOT to just be a customer service/technical support channel, but really more of an early release FEEDBACK channel. Notice my use of the word feedback, that is because there is a substantial difference between feedback and a complaint. COMPLAINTS ARE REACTIVE AND (EARLY) FEEDBACK IS PROACTIVE. By being are part of this channel you are in a position to prevent future complaints by giving constructive feedback on new releases before they go public.

What this community seems to be clouded with at the moment are people who are way to emotionally invested in the product working for them regularly that they flood the threads with rants about how much they are displeased with the Oculus team. Now to those of you that are partaking in such things, does being a part of the PTC ultimately better your experience with this product or has it made you bitter and frustrated with something you once loved? My advice to you is to take a step back, remember why you started consuming VR content and maybe consider opting out of this channel to preserve your once beloved experience.  

Hope you all hear what I am trying to communicate here. I promise you that I am not trying come at anyone in particular. This is all peace and love!

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Oculus is know to ignore both feedback and complaints and roll out broken updates anyway, so your point is kind of moot. 

AngeloCarlo
Protege

The response to both feedback and complaints are never as simple as you think at this scale. It's easy to play Monday Morning Quarterback, but if you don't understand all of the variables that go into addressing a single issue along with a thousand others at scale, then it's hard to really make a informed performance evaluation on how they are doing. 

The balance between fixing issues and launching new features is a delicate tightrope to walk. If the product is not dependable it creates resentment, but if the product is not innovative it can be left behind. In my opinion it is impossible to be innovative without risking dependability. New things cause new problems, it has been like this since the beginning of time.

My advice for all of you navigating this new frontier... have grace!

Banana4Bananas
Heroic Explorer

Look at that. I got hit with the black void bug because my guardian was disabled ( hate guardian, I have a dedicated play area for a reason don't need software to tell me that )

BigFknCee
Explorer

I understand what your trying to say about using beta software but this bug affects v38 also. So it isn't just a v39 PTC thing....it's seems like an account thing.

Kota2300
Explorer

It is most definitely an account thing, as when you add a second account to the headset, it functions as normal, completely. Until however, you enable game sharing. So this made us think "hmmm... What if we factory reset, login with our second account as the admin, then after the quest is setup, login to our MAIN account as the second account, but keep game sharing off? However this doesn't work, because as soon as you login to your main account, it acts the same as it has been; no games and you can't download ANYTHING.

Kota2300
Explorer

I am NOT in the PTC and I've never signed up for PTC. Even when I go into the oculus app it tells me there are no free PTC enrollment slots and to check back later.

AngeloCarlo
Protege

I get where you're coming from with the account issues. This was a big one that has lasted an uncomfortable amount of time, but I do feel like this is a reasonable response (view image below). Again we just don't know what's going on behind the scenes, so I tend to fall on the side of grace with this stuff.

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 1.30.30 PM.png

AngeloCarlo
Protege

Are you reporting your issues here or on support channels? Because if it's here, than this is exactly my point. I just feel like this community should stay on task. With all do respect, this a V39 thread and if your not in PTC and your posting complaints on here (I don't know if you are) that are not really relevant to the purpose of this specific thread then you are essentially hindering its effectiveness in accomplishing its objective. Now if you want to view the content of this thread to know if you can expect a fix to your problem in the next update then that is fine, because it is available to the public eye, but again keep in mind that this not a support/customer service channel. 

Kota2300
Explorer

If it means anything, I've never tried to unlink or link my Facebook/oculus account. And the second account I created for testing purposes was immediately deleted when we discovered it didn't work anyway, as there was no point in keeping a second account, especially when it's against ToS.. we're just desperate for a fix and are trying every solution we can think of. We thought we were close with that one

AngeloCarlo
Protege

Man I are really sorry that some of your still going through this, but what I recommend you all do is use the proper support channels, that are detailed in the community guidelines. Here is the link: https://support.oculus.com/ . The community guidelines state that feedback channels (like this one) are one sided and there is no obligation for there to be a response to your post and it also states in the community guidelines (in rule #10) that community members are to stay on topic for every thread you post in. Since this isn't a support thread, any post that is not relevant to the early PTC release of new software is not relevant to the thread and is breaking community guidelines. I don't mean to be the thread police, but I am just saying that there are channels in place to to help with your issue and this channel is not it.

The Support Channel that I linked above allows you to not only see common complaints and the response to those complaints, but it also allows you to create a support ticket, that will get you a response, and make your complaint official. 

Kota2300
Explorer

Not trying to sound rude here, but what are we supposed to do on that page? All we've got are generic fixes for problems we aren't having, and a "contact us" button at the bottom that has us either send an email, or talk to support agents that get us to do stuff we've already done, then tell us they're "escalating" the issue to someone. It's an endless loop. How can we get this information to the right people to get this fixed asap? Some of us are going on 4 days that our $300 headset and hundreds of dollars in games are completely and utterly useless.

AngeloCarlo
Protege

What you can do is wait... that's all you can do. If there isn't a solution, then there isn't a solution. You and a whole bunch of others have done all you can do. You can't will your way into fixing an issue of this scale by continuing to complain about it. Everyone at Meta knows, there is no one you can talk to at Meta right now that isn't aware of this problem. Sorry, that may be the ugly truth, but it is the truth.

Kota2300
Explorer

Well you might want to brief your support staff then buddy, because I've talked to  SIX of them over the course of 3 days and not a single one of them had a clue what was wrong or going on. They were clueless for me and for everyone I've talked to that's having this issue.

Telling people that use your service to "just wait" and to "stop complaining" when they can't use something they've spent hundreds on is disgusting. 100% switching to the first available competitor the first chance I get, even if it means spending $1,500 on a PC. I'm done with oculus/"MeTa" after this.

BigFknCee
Explorer

I agree 100%. This is not being addressed the way it should and telling people to just "wait" doesn't help with the device (and software) you paid money for and now cannot use. No update should cause basic functionality to stop working and it's ridiculous that this isn't acknowledged and support should be aware of it.

AngeloCarlo
Protege

I don't work for Meta @Kota2300 , I am just talking human to human here, trying to hear and understand your perspective in your response to my post. By all means if changing to a competitor is what you want to eventually do, then that is your right as an adult. I'm not really trying to make a case for whether or not the public or private response from Meta to your issue should be tolerated or accepted by you. That is for you to decide as an adult. I am just letting you know that this ain't the thread to voice those concerns. With all due respect you are barking up the wrong tree...

AngeloCarlo
Protege

Again, I don't work for Meta and this thread is not the place for support issues. I am just a community member that would like to keep this thread on topic and want to make sure you all know where the best places are to go to voice your concerns. Whether those options are acceptable to you or are not, is not my problem, but I will tell you this, THIS THREAD AIN'T THE ONE!

Kota2300
Explorer

"The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v.39 is starting to roll out today. Let's use this thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports along with posting here if you notice anything wrong"

Yes, that is exactly what this forum is for. And we're here telling them what's wrong, and trying our best to find out as much about it as we can, and they're dead silent. Just give us a "we're looking into it" at the bare minimum. The number of affected users is growing and there has been NOTHING from them.

AngeloCarlo
Protege

If your looking for a response to a support issue this is still the wrong thread. Again, a feedback channel and support channel are two different things and this is why: 

22AB3045-2024-40E3-ABB6-48732B39089F.jpeg

BigFknCee
Explorer

What? Support literally asked me to post here about this. Why are you trying to police this if you're aren't affected? As many people as possible should be aware of this so that they can (try to) avoid it and it's can be acknowledged and fixed by the people in charge. It's not hard to ignore things that don't concern you.

AngeloCarlo
Protege

It’s one thing to inquire about whether or not this issue is fixed with the new update and it’s a whole other to complain without ceasing while demanding a response/resolution in a channel that has no power or obligation to respond to you or fix your problem.

And yes it does effect me. I have to go through 9 pages of people negatively talking about the same issue like it’s a Reddit forum, when it’s really not meant to be that. What about new features and what about actual V39 issues that are caused by the PTC update and are exclusive to the PTC update?

If they asked you to post within this community to express your issue and it’s not related to the new PTC update then there are plenty of other threads that address your issue. If your post is relevant and hasn’t been covered in this specific thread already then I got no problem with you sharing your issue in a respectful way. What I can’t stand are people that aren’t even a part of PTC and just dumping there same complaints on this thread over and over again.

But I said my peace and now I am just gonna mind my own business. 

Kota2300
Explorer

Honestly at this point, you're crying more than we are, and at least we have a **bleep** good reason to be complaining. You're just crying because you want to read about what features people want..?

How about the feature of me being able to use my quest? That'd be a dooooope feature.

AngeloCarlo
Protege

I am literally just replying. It’s not like I’m out here complaining about this issue unsolicited.
But messaged received. I’ll shut the hell up now and continue to enjoy my Quest 2.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone! I can confirm that the team is currently working on the issue that's been reported here and elsewhere that some people have been unable to see their library on certain PTC builds. They're working on that now and as soon as a fix is pushed out for that PTC build, I'll let you all know. The team is also aware that anyone who factory reset their headset in an attempt to fix this was removed from PTC, though they are still running PTC software. They'll be considering a solution for these folks as well and I'll update you all as soon as there's news.

Thanks for your patience!

BigFknCee
Explorer

Dude, I am in the PTC and I'm posting where support directed me to. You're the only one here complaining about this. We aren't all going to suddenly get quiet and go away about this because you don't like skimming through a forum that took me seconds to read. Turn off the notifications if it bothers you so much, but I'm not going anywhere until this is addressed and fixed. It's easy to not care about this if it doesn't affect you but it's even easier to just ignore things that's don't concern you. 

Kota2300
Explorer

Hallelujah, that's how it's done. Thank you very much. Now I can calmy wait in peace, knowing that there is absolutely a solution in the works and that I'm not just sitting in the dark waiting.

BigFknCee
Explorer

Thank you for finally acknowledging this issue. It was getting tiresome to argue with someone trying to tell people they shouldn't post about a problem they have with their headset. 

AngeloCarlo
Protege

Nope, not falling for the bait. 😃 All the best to you and yours! Peace and Love!

Banana4Bananas
Heroic Explorer

Where's the team update about being stuck in unusable Black screen if you get updated to 39 while having guardian disabled, effectively making the device a useless brick

BigFknCee
Explorer

...and all the best to you and yours also. Happy Questing.🙂

Nebouxii
Protege

Was playing Skyrim VR and had a notification sound on Windows 10 followed by an overlay box popping up up stating something about Death Unchained season 2 something or other. Never had this happen before. Is it new? I did have app updates enabled in my notification settings on the PC client. Has it always been this way or is this a new feature? Seems like in game advertising. No biggy if I can disable it. I toggled the switch off so will see if I get it again.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Or,

**bleep** Organize **bleep**

Accumulate **bleep** Hierarchy

**bleep** Mutilate **bleep**

Add an Archive option in App Library for

unused apps, folder at bottom, that

should take seconds!

VRCoP
Honored Guest

It's a shame that formatting is precisely what support insisted on repeatedly, they changed my associated email, password, unlinked my oculus account from Facebook and linked again and after a week waiting with the problem I don't have answer, and also right now I can't access the beta channel, I've been having to release content for a week and I don't have a solution.

And now you are telling me not to format, honestly they should have told support because I never opted for that option.

Now that it won't let me join the PTC, what am I supposed to do?

Waiting helplessly with a paperweight while the content I need to create for different studios and publishers is piling up?

InsideCat
Explorer

It's sad because this is basically the exact situation I went through. I factory reset (NUMEROUS times due to various support contacts), tried everything underneath, above, around and inside the sun, then unlinked and linked again, and still nothing. I also haven't received another email since then.

Bladerah
Expert Protege

I have had an issue with games I bought not able to download and after factor reset all my purchases are the same. Loading circle on all bought items and no downloads. Is this part of the known issue?

InsideCat
Explorer

It is, yes. Unfortunately since you've factory reset, you're likely to be stuck even if within PTC builds it's fixed, unless they come up with a solution as they said they would. If it's of any help, you're definitely not alone, as there's quite a few us of in that predicament as well due to trying to fix the issue in the first place.

@Oculus_RyanS wrote:

The team is also aware that anyone who factory reset their headset in an attempt to fix this was removed from PTC, though they are still running PTC software. They'll be considering a solution for these folks as well and I'll update you all as soon as there's news.