cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v.39 is starting to roll out today. Let's use this thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports along with posting here if you notice anything wrong.

When sharing feedback, try to include as much detail as possible to help the team investigate.

198 Comments
Ligou
Honored Guest

My games have disapear but he still to exist in my Headset.

I have do a factory reset and try some things i have view on some topics but nothing have repair my Quest 2.

I still to have an empty Quest 2, but i can play to my Unkown Source game.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Login to your Facebook account on

your headset, download Sidequest on

Windows 10, update all your Oculus

Meta apps, and rock and roll!

McSpankis
Explorer

Could you elaborate a bit more?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, not now not ever!

BadBoys_HSSIXTY
Protege

What a useless post. It doesn't sound like the author has tested it himself. You also need a developer account to access the Quest2 with sidequest at all. Also, I won't change anything else on the Ouest 2 until support announces a verified procedure. It was already a big mistake to reset the Quest 2 to factory condition. Why the support can't unlock PTC for the affected users is a mystery to me. The Quest 2 has been lying around as a paperweight for a week.

BadBoys_HSSIXTY
Protege

WOW. Great news. My apps are back !!!! Just started my Quest 2. All my apps are back and I can install them. Thanks to the support. The firmware is still the 39.0.0.56, yet everything works.

lance.mccary
Heroic Explorer

Anybody try app sharing yet on v39? Is shared account still encouraged to pay for a new app and the primary account receives error message? Strange bug that typed up that error message 😅

BigFknCee
Explorer

I just checked this morning when I woke up and my apps have returned also. I am happy and hope that this doesn't happen again. Crossing my fingers that everyone else's is fixed too. 🤞

Eyanez
Honored Guest

Are you guys aware of the "Black Screan" bug? Since v39, O cant do anithing the only thing i can do is look at my controlers and hear the guardian setup theme I have contacted support about this problem and they will try and help me

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a lot of folks are going to need to buy

a new meta quest device, right click, select all, delete,

and then dive follow with em, Archive folder in App Library,

apps with ...archive... option, bingo, collect 200 monstrosities

when you pass, send me a new beta!

VR_q2_v37.0, PTC is full, I'd buy that for a dollar...

InsideCat
Explorer

Just woke up not too long ago, read the thread and hopped on to see that my apps were fixed too!

LetoDK
Explorer

App sharing is completely broken, and it's unacceptable.

This needs to be fixed ASAP. Many of us bought a second headset because of App sharing, so if this isn't fixed soon, then I foresee a class action lawsuit arising.

AngeloCarlo
Protege

I looks like they added a new environment to Oculus Home. It's called Mountain Study and it looks like it is meant to be a private virtual home office. The thing I liked the most about this new environment is that it replaces the standard appearance of your desk guardian to a nice looking oak desk with a leather pad on it! I already manage most of my standard workflow in Oculus Home (via the browser and native social media apps), so I love that I have an environment available that caters to this! This also further supports my suspicions that Horizon Workrooms was never meant to be the ultimate solo workspace, but instead an app dedicated to creating collaborative workspaces, while your solo workflow can be accomplished in your soon to come Horizon Home.

I hope that maybe this new environment is a sign that we will soon be getting the officially release of the infinite desktop that was mentioned in the press release last year! Fingers crossed for V40 to be a big feature heavy update! 

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 2.21.12 PM.png

AngeloCarlo
Protege

Welp it looks like they removed the Mountain Study from the Environment Library. Fortunately I stayed in that environment so I can still actively use it, but it looks like if I change my environment in the near future, I won't be able to go back to this one. Hopefully they bring it back soon! The work in VR/AR community has been looking forward to these type of updates! Do you have anything to share on this @Ryanality ?

saint_cow
Protege

Has the 72Hz bug been fixed? Hesitiant to install the beta as I use 120Hz for iRacing every day.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

Special thanks to everyone who has reported issues on PTC! The team is actively watching bug reports coming in and responses made on the thread here. We saw people were having trouble with their apps not being able to download or not showing up and recently published a fix targeted at the issue last week.

The team would like to look into this further if anyone is still having trouble. If you're still not able to see any apps when in headset, or recently purchased an app and it's not showing up as available to download, can you please send me a private message here on the forums so I can get some extra detais to send the team?

BubblzZz
Protege

Oculus PC App Version 39.0.0.65.369 just installed from the PTC. Any idea what's new? Hopefully fixes for the unplayable 120hz mode.

Decree17
Explorer

I lost 120 hz in experimental after upgrading to v39. I'm locked in at 72 hz. Please team, it took me several months just to get 120 hz.

Kuraray
Explorer

Seems they haven't hotfixed it yet on PTC. If the higher refresh rates do not come back on next public release, then it is possible this was an intentional feature removal.

I love higher refresh rates, which is super important in the context of VR immersion. I was hoping it would finally graduate experimental to default settings. I never expected it to be expelled.

They might be locking to 72Hz as an effort to standardize the performance and experience for all developers and users.

Decree17
Explorer

I find that highly unlikely but it would be great if @Ryanality could address this for many of us.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Kuraray
Explorer

Are you still on PTC branch for updates? Can you update on this thread if there is any hotfix that restores higher refresh rate functionality?

I got off the PTC and last I checked it was full, so I'll update if it gets fixed on next regular branch release.

AngeloCarlo
Protege

It looks like Mountain Study is back up with the new Desk Guardian design and I also noticed that the new Desk Guardian design was in the Studio environment as well. 👍

Decree17
Explorer

Unfortunately, still nothing on the higher refresh rates. The 120 hz experimental setting is still missing. I even tried a test to see if I could lower it to 60 hz to match a test media file and it didn't work. It's just locked at 72 hz. The desktop app only shows 72 hz as the one setting under Graphics Preferences.

Andis3D
Protege

Most of PTC Users wait for a official Update and then, they are not longer a PTC User.

but hat´s no problem, because PTC is full.

Meanwhile Virtual Desktop is better. 😉

rodrigo.negri.83
Explorer

I was having the smae problem as some of you ( no guardian appears, guardian music plays,can only see hands and places to teleport to and that is it )

I tried doing a factory reset, and it came back to me, only for me to turn it off later and turn it on back to the same loop.

I tried doing what this guy suggested ( follow at your own risk ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIZGoDyv7c8&ab_channel=OPENPCreviews and I tried installing v38 ( I believe I was on version 39 ) and after the update finished, it gave me a message that I was on a newer firmware already and it didn't go through ( that was after I had done a factory reset )

And I reconfigured everything, did a power off and on just to see If I would get the same problem that I ran into from before ( did a factory reset, configured everything, turned off headset and on  just to be stuck at the beggining again) and this time it just worked.

It might be the fact that I have set the guardian after the factory reset when I still had control ( first boot, drawing the floor and **bleep** ) but after the power off and on cycle, it is still working.

I guess we can't disable the guardian at least for now ( I hate this **bleep** ) or otherwise it will try to enable it for you after the boot but something is wrong with it at the new v39 firmware.

My version now is 39.0.0.88.336.363807235  system version 26242800497100000

Hopefully it can help someone out there who might run across this error.

C ya all and if it happens again I will update you all in here.

Izumi_Mizuha
Honored Guest

Perhaps due to the version upgrade, the home screen is dark except for the controller being displayed, and I can no longer launch or operate apps.
I searched for people with the same symptoms on twitter, and it seems that there are a certain number of them. Also, there is some information that it seems to be cured by restoring the device to the factory default state, but when it is restored from sleep, it becomes pitch black again. Currently, the only solution seems to be to make it possible to launch the Quest application from the smartphone application.

rodrigo.negri.83
Explorer

Yeah, it is weird. So far my headset is still working, but I am definitely afraid of turning the guardian off and getting stuck in the loop again.

Meanwhile, this was the response the official support from meta gave me:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Rodrigo,

I hope you're safe and sound.

Thank you so much for getting us back at Oculus Support.

I appreciate your effort in trying to do some troubleshooting steps provided. You're awesome!

To begin with, I would like to thank you for your utmost cooperation while working on this with us. We value customer's satisfaction and will be more than happy to assist you in sorting this out.

While I look into this further for you, I would like to collect some additional information:

• Full name
  • Shipping address
  • Phone number
  • Preferred email address to receive labels
  • Oculus username and/or email address associated with your account
  • Headset serial number: which is located under the left strap and starts with "1WMHH"
  • Unit serial number, which can be located on the bottom of the box and starts with "1WMVR"
  • Retail receipt or invoice including item, retailer, price, and date -OR- Oculus order number

We'll be looking forward to you response  at your most convenient time .

Have a great day ahead

Kind regards,

Vincent
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why would I need to provide all this info for apparently no reason at all?

Such a weird response ( maybe not that weird considering facebook/meta ) but I definitely won't be giving my info away like this because it makes no sense, AFAIK in helping me with my problem and everyone else's problem.

If I get a new reply or something I will update you all.

C ya.

rodrigo.negri.83
Explorer

This is what I was getting ( I am pretty sure it is the same for everybody else with this problem )

https://youtu.be/x7tynURTjWo

If you need to factory reset, just try to make sure you don't disable it after the initial config ( which is what I do most of the time )

It really seems like they are forcing the guardian settings at the beginning and it doesn't know what to do when it is disabled.

Decree17
Explorer

I've been talking with support and received a similar request from them @rodrigo.negri.83.

There's issues with refresh rates and black screening with v39.

Anyone else having refresh rate problems?

After v39, my device can no longer adjust the refresh rate. It's hard locked at 72 hz. It's not related to link or airlink because I'm having the issue with Virtual Desktop being unable to adjust my device's refresh rate. I'm unable to adjust the refresh rate with apps on the device itself. I can't even lower it to 60 hz. I'm also getting two strange black screens during the install process.

1st Black screen: Occurs always at the start of the installation process when you first hear the music. The new Oculus logo blinks for a second and then it goes to a black screen. To fix or get passed it, you can take the headset off and put it back on.

2nd Black Screen: Occurs after the 10 second countdown to restart in the install process. The new Oculus logo blinks for a second and then goes to a black screen. I then see three dots on my screen not advancing in the process, darkened, not moving. To fix again or get passed it, I'll take the headset off and put it back on.
Kuraray
Explorer

The locked 72Hz and the black screen issues are same for me. I'm patiently waiting to receive the rolled out public v39 release to see if they fix those issues. Good luck on the PTC branch.

Decree17
Explorer

Support seems to think it's perhaps related to an issue with link/air link or windows. I've had to explain to them I'm having the issue with on-device applications not being able to adjust refresh rate.

I take it you're still missing the 120 hz in experimental settings?

Kuraray
Explorer

Yes, still missing 120Hz in experimental.

It's like all the variable refresh rate options have been removed and device only reports capable of 72Hz. Doesn't matter whether it's in native quest apps or PCVR stuff.

Just blind hoping that it gets fixed because not getting much communication from Oculus on this, and it looks like support is out of the loop too.

tndm2
Explorer

Updated one headset, won’t recognize update on newer headset yet. The secondary account user of Puzzling Places (on updated headset) has lost all progress on all puzzles as well as the new puzzle purchases. Once the other headset updates (we keep checking but hasn’t allowed us yet), will this be fixed? 

xou130
Honored Guest

Got same problems, the 72 hz refresh rate ruined my weekend. 

xou130
Honored Guest

The locked 72Hz issue is same for me, and 120Hz option is missing from experimental settings.

peti.gyuros
Honored Guest

After the update 120hz option gone from experimental settings and PC app is locked to 72hz with all other options gone. Support was unable to assist me. This is infuriating. I understand this is a test channel but now I cannot even revert to a different version to fix this. I enjoy testing new features even if they are rough but it absolutely is not worth it with the risk of features getting taken away without notice or reason.

Screenshot 2022-04-17 192819.png

Please fix this ASAP.

rodrigo.negri.83
Explorer

BTW, they just closed the ticket and didn't really do anything to help, they just wanted my data and info and that is it....

Here is the response:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Rodrigo,

Thank you so much for getting back to us and for letting us know that this has been resolved for you.

I will be closing this ticket, please do not hesitate to reach back out to us again in the future for any questions or concerns that you may have. We are always happy to help!

Have a wonderful week,

Jonathan

Tsc tsc tsc...]

And by resolved, He meant that I can't ever turn off the guardian and turn off the headset. I need to turn on the headset, disable the guardian use the headset and reenable the guardian to turn it off..........

rodrigo.negri.83
Explorer

rodrigo.negri.83
Explorer

Ok, I think I have a "definitive" solution to the screen only showing the controller and playing the guardian music ( which happens when you restart or turn the headset off and on when the guardian is disabled ) on version 39.

I did a factory reset due to the above circumstances and I got my headset back. Turned it off and on with guardian disabled and back to the loop...

Did it again, enabled guardian mode ( which I hate btw ) and the headset is ok after going to sleep, after restarts and after turning it off an on.

Like the **bleep** that I am, I disabled the guardian ( again, hate this **bleep**, so annoying )and I forgot top reenable it and I did a restart because I was having problems with the air link connection not working and.... Back to being stuck.................

Then I tried these things:

1: Messing with the settings on the oculus app to see if there was anything that could reenable the guardian through there and I found nothing.

2: While messing with the settings, I have set and unlocking pattern just for the sake of it, the unlocking pattern was asked on the headset and that accomplished nothing ( or so I thought )

2: Went into Sidequest, clicked device settings and tools and ticked on Experimental mode and guardian settings.

And after a reset, it worked, after drawing the unlock pattern ( while pugged to the pc ) then from there, you just enable the guardian on the quest 2 settings and never, EVER turn it off ( because if you forget to turn it on again to turn off your headset you get back into the loop )

Now I tried messing with all of those settings again to see what actually helped the headset go into the main menu like it should, and I think the whole go into the Sidequest and enabling experimental mode and guardian mode do not make a difference.

What seems to make it go through the initial blockage, is just enabling a mother **bleep**ing pattern os the mobile app, and having the headset pugged into the pc, if I do those 2 things and after drawing the pattern inside the headset a new message appears as follows.

Enable Oculus Link

Access Rift apps while your quest is plugged into your PC. You can enable/disable this from Quick Settings at any time.

Then 2 options appear below the message: "Enable" and "Not Now"  and below that there is a "Don't show again" option also.

At this point it doesn't matter what options you click, but I would suggest not clicking on the "Don't show again" as this pop-up might be the entire reason why the headset is going back to the menu at all.

I am sorry for the bible that I just wrote, but that is what I found so far and it seems to help.

TLDR: Seems to be: enable an unlock pattern on oculus app on your phone ( whick enables the pattern on the headset ) turn off the headset, plug it on your pc, turn on the headset, draw the pattern and select any of the 2 options regarding enabling the Oculus Link. and you should be back to the main menu. After this enable the guardian in the settings inside the quest 2 by going to: Settings, System, Developer and ticking on the Guardian option.

Phew, hopefully I can help some of you out there. ( If you want you can send this message to the occulus support team if you want, I am tired of these a holes )

edit: I did some more testing, and it seems that even after I disabled the guardian inside the quest settings by going to these options:  Setings, System, Developer and ticking off the Guardian option; the Guardian "state" shows as roomscale for me when I click on the square box on the left showing the time, battery percentage and wi-fi status but it is actually not getting in the way, because I didn't draw the roomscale thing that it asks for when you enable it, and by going to: Setings, System and Developer, the guardian settings is still set to off.

So, just to make sure, I did a restart just now, drew the pattern and it didnt ask me to set the guardian and it is just like I described above. The key seems to be the pattern drawing by the looks of it.

I think that is all for now and sorry if I mistyped something as english isn't my main language ( I am from Brasil ) and I type looking at the keyboard, LUL so I probably mistyped something somewhere, but I don't feel like checking/correcting it right now. Feel free to share this on any posts about these problems that you all may find as I am not versed enough to find the main sites/apps that people posts usually about those problems.

C ya.

RaygeH
Explorer

Since the Quest 2 automatically installed this update I can't control the refresh rate anymore. It is hard locked to 72hz and all options to change that are gone. Doesn't matter if it's native on the Quest 2 or using airlink. Everything is locked to 72hz. Also the screen sometimes stays black. This update absolutely made things worse. It's horrible.

Silveralho
Honored Guest

The exact same thing happened to me.
Got home and my headset was updating, went to play Eleven Table Tennis (where the frame rate is important for better reaction time) and was locked at 70.
Got out of the game and go to the headset settings and no more 120hz experimental options, conected my pc with link to try and see my grafic options and only had 72hz.

At 9 of march i lost my games due to a server issue for 11 days, now this, what are oculus/meta people doing ?!

asmilenotmeantforme
Honored Guest

They released this update even after seeing this... Guess nobody reads here. I lost all my data because of this.

bionicspine
Honored Guest

Fix for “Guardian” Bug

My Details : I only use the headset for a meditation app so my overall experience is limited.  Last night I found that I could only see visuals of my hand controllers and hear a space age music.  After many reboots, hard resets and button combos I posted on Reddit asking for help and went to bed.

My Settings Before this : Since it’s hard to use a meditation app from bed with guardian, I signed my company up for a developer account and disabled it long ago.  

My Fix Variation : before heading to bed one Reddit user suggested a factory reset and though I performed one holding the volume down button and power button at the same time while the unit was in a powered off state, it brought me back to the same issue and as a result I do not know if this intentional factory reset may have been needed.

After the factory reset I had to use the iOS app to re-pair the unit and begin setup.  As noted above, after I did this it rebooted and brought me right back to the same issue.

I then opened the iOS app again to see it still asking me to finish setup.  Once I clicked the option to finish setup again, I was alive and well.

Note that I didn’t have to intentionally disable guardian and in fact it was already reenabled after that factory reset.

DrGibs
Honored Guest

Does the v39 update support the original quest 1? Or is this a quest 2 only update?

Decree17
Explorer

For those with refresh rates missing, I received a response this morning from support and was told, "I have been advised that there is an update coming soon that should be resolving this issue." Just making this post to inform those with this issue.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey DrGibs! The v39 update is also on the original Quest 1! The update will rollout to all devices over some time, and you can check to see if you have an update by following the steps outline in the article linked here: How do I update my Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest software? We hope this helps! 

Pitoupi
Protege

Fix the 72hzs problem !!!!

Silveralho
Honored Guest

Is there any time estimate of how long will it take to solve the 72hz lock ?

jfeelders
Explorer

My Querst2 just received update 39.0.0.88.336.363807235 (runtime 39.00.100.369.363650567) and I'm able to disable Guardian and don't get a black screen after reboot. As a PCVR simracer strapped in my motionrig there's no need at all to use the Guardian. Happy to report that it can be turned off again.