cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v47 is starting to roll out. Meta Quest Pro is not included in the PTC at this time. Let's use this thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports along with posting here if you notice anything going wrong.

Thanks to everyone testing out PTC and sharing your feedback! We appreciate your help testing out the core functionality of software as we develop!

89 Comments
fatal88
Expert Protege

Still encoder framedrops with link and air link, but air link became even worse now. I've already sent a support ticket, but they're only suggesting basic things I already tried.

There are more people with this issue, started with v46. There is also a reddit post and a forum thread here.

Please fix it, something is changed for encoding on the Quest 2.

Edit: I've only use the PTC on the PC software, because it's full for the Quest, so I can't try what happens when updating to the PTC version of the headset itself. But I don't think it's matter, encoding is done on the PC.

dopamaniac
Explorer

Thanks for the heads up! Any beta release notes available and/or specific/new things to look for or test?

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

@fatal88, thanks for reporting! I've reached out to the engineering team on this and confirmed that they're working on this. It helps to get the flag from PTC too, so I appreciate you jumping in!

@dopamaniac, we don't currently publish specific release notes for PTC. Sometimes the features that will be in the release aren't enabled yet and we're often using PTC to test out bug fixes, and to find new problems that might have appeared in the build. Also, the team sometimes likes seeing what features people might notice without being told to go looking.

fatal88
Expert Protege

@RyanalityThat's great news! Thanks!

I would test with the PTC version on the headset as well (to be on the same version), but unfortunately can't join PTC because it's full.

jeff.mcgee.56027
Explorer

I'm facing the same issue as @fatal88. Dropped frames and visible stutters. The GPU is not dropping frames. Application frames dropped and compositor frames dropped in ODT both do NOT increment when it stutters. The dropped frames counter in Link Details does correspond to the visible stutter, along with a momentary drop in frame rate. Happens all the time regardless of game, system utilization or sitting idle.

Here are videos that show the issue:

kzolee216
Protege

This is exactly the same issue.

fatal88
Expert Protege

Yes, this is the issue. Those blue spikes at the top left are non-existant in air link, but dropped frames are more, and framerate is dropping more frequently to 87.5 (I've tested at 80hz, it's 77.5 there, and 69.5 on 72hz) and dropping more frames (the two event is connected imo, so it's dropping frame rate hz for encoding, therefore it's dropping frames).

fatal88
Expert Protege

@Ryanality

Any news, could the engineering team found out what causes the issue?

Can I access v47 sideload zip somehow? I would be happy to test, but the PTC is full, so I can't join.

BoringEagle
Protege

Same exact issue im having here. constant stutter/tear that wasnt there before. Delightfully headache inducing.

sobakaralf39
Explorer

Hello, I want to say that with the release of hand tracking 2.0, my quest 2 started having big problems with this tracking. Everything is fine in the oculus home, but in any game that uses hand tracking, there are problems with the quality of work. Hands are constantly lost, gestures work very poorly, it is almost impossible to take any object in the game, hands seem to be sluggish and everything falls out of them. And the opposite happens. I can pick up an object and my hand won't taw it, I can fully open my hand to a flat state, but in the game the hand is still clenched or not fully unclenched. If you stretch your hand forward, then the hand is most often lost or gestures are very poorly defined. And this is in all games with this tracking. When was the tracking of the first version I didn't have any problems with him. And now it's impossible to play these games, all games with such problems

Spookydimmys
Honored Guest

This encoder stuttering is literally killing any love I have for Airlink. Any game requiring aiming is so difficult with the hands constantly jumping around due to these hitches. PLEASE prioritise this.

fatal88
Expert Protege

@RyanalityAny news about the encoder issue?

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

There was official information that the touch pro controller will be compatible with Quest2 in December (v47), someone please confirm if it is available.

kzolee216
Protege

@Ryanality: Any news about the stutter issue?

When can we expect the next update?

kzolee216
Protege

I get close to the wall (Guardian Boundary) during the game, then Oculus Link dropped frames unexplainable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR8y3Lf_BL8

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Was there a new update? My Quest battery was depleted this morning (from fully charged last night), which often happens when an update installs (Quest stays on afterwards due to my lens cover triggering the sensor). I would check, but I'm waiting to get enough charge to start the headset.

Edit: I think there was... I'm on 47.0.0.263... and I think it was 47.0.0.235 yesterday. Also, I now suddenly have avatar hands and arms in Quest Home, rather than just floating controllers.

fatal88
Expert Protege

I don't see a new version, although my headset is on v46. But I noticed that the tracking and frame drop problem is not as bad as it was before (still there). I will also check this guardian issue mentioned by @kzolee216

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Yeah sorry, I meant an update to the PTC v47 release that this thread is about. It looks like they pushed out a small incremental update.

fatal88
Expert Protege

Something happened, because I'm on the PTC with the PC app and it was updated in the morning, so maybe the headset's software was updated as well. I can't say for sure because I can't enroll to the PTC on the Quest itself, enfillment is full.

Edit: The PC app's new version number is 47.0.0.264.341, the old one was 47.0.0.236.341

bronney
Explorer

Confirmed version number, still drops tho 😛 I am testing everyday hehehe.

JerryJKSN
Explorer

Hi @Ryanality — I received the v47 Quest Pro update this evening. Is there information available for this update?

Thank you

fatal88
Expert Protege

Yes, same here. Tracking is better though, it's not unplayable now, but still not good due to drops. Although I only updated the PC app, still can't enter the PTC enrollment on the headset. But probably the update will be released soon and we will see if it affects the bug.

I played some ETT yesterday in standalon mode and it was strange, it was stuttering sometimes the same way as it is in PCVR. There is no encoding there so it's weird, maybe an issue causing stuttering on the headset and it is causing the encoder lag in PCVR, and not the other way around?

VanderAGSN
Explorer

I really hate avatar with hands in v47, so really hope there is will be option to disable it... Please. In the Oculus TV application when the controllers appear the hands behave inappropriately, also when the controllers are far away from you and you take them the IK hands begin to shake so much, which I really don't like. Given that it is impossible to rollback to the update earlier so I have to wait and hope that this feature can be disabled in options like in experimental or so on

Hallucinogen
Protege

Just automatically updated to firmware 47.263 and it has broken the 90hz framerate option on the app Skybox.

There is now only the options of 60hz, 72hz and Auto with 90hz now missing.

Meaning anything i watch has a flicker and causes headaches and eye strain and possibly seizures in some users.

Also the homescreen has gigantic fonts in the UI that look terrible.

Yay !

5ephir0th
Explorer

It looks like Meta has proposed to kill the PCVR and they are getting good at it! No way i buy an Meta HMD again, his software releases are just a joke...

alternativeN0c
Honored Guest

v47 appears to have bricked my quest 2. air link doesn't work, shop doesn't work, logging in doesn't work, accounts don't work, library doesn't work. can't even revert back to an older version, meta is trying their best to kill the q2, especially with the PTC version I got.

alternativeN0c
Honored Guest

v47 bricked my quest 2. nothing works and i can't go back to v46. i need help

fatal88
Expert Protege

Did you tried to factory reset it via the mobile app or via the recovery menu? Maybe it will help.

vladu.razvan.costel
Honored Guest

hey had the same issues when it updated to v 47.264, factory reset power button + volume down fixed most of my issues, I still have a problem with Air Link, no matter what I do massive frame drop can barely navigate to exit, and nasty visual artifacts if I move my head, like the pixels are collapsing in to virtual black hole, cat find any fix, Virtual desktop work perfect no issues what so ever...

argcoreduo
Honored Guest

I' ve restored to Factory defaults and automatically install v47. I've checked that develop mode is disabled. I cant enable It with the app mobile even with MQDH

DrakoRex11
Explorer

When is face/hand/eye tracking coming to steamvr, and when can I use passthrough in airlink? Would like to actually use my quest pro but there's no firmware for it yet.

No one wants to run ****ty standalone apps.

VanderAGSN
Explorer

Got update to v47.. 266, still no any hints for option to disable avatar in Quest Home. Also quest link still have some stutters, which was didn't exist in v46. That's sad

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@RyanalitySince v47 is now being rolled out (non-beta) it may be a good idea to start a new v47 thread with release notes. I now have v47 on both my Q2 and QP./rtx3090 So far, everything seems to be working very well. Even wireless PCVR with Air Link seems a little smoother now. Cheers.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

I did not opt in to the PTC yet once again my apps and headset have updated, this time to v47.

I noticed when in my home environment there are arms and a torso connected to the hands now.

The only glitch so far that I can find is in the Settings - About. Network and Device are blank. In version 46 the MAC address was blank as well.

xuliang75
Explorer

v47 didn't fix the stuttering issue for me. I have one frame dropped every 2-3 seconds or so. Same as before. It causes micro-stuttering. Frame drops happen even in the lobby of SteamVR, so it's not performance/GPU related, as described by many other users.

OculusScreenshot1670055851.jpeg

xuliang75
Explorer

By the way, this happens both with Air Link and wired Link cable...

Buetigame
Expert Protege

What about the Release Notes for v47 (.0.0.263)?
Got it within the release channel... (nonPTC-)Desktop-App stayed with v46(.0.0.230).

Found something from yesterday:

New Meta Quest Update Adds Background Audio Playback, Mixed Reality Capture, Shareable Wishlists, an...

ThatLuna
Honored Guest

alright I'm bored so ill just give every feature i noticed in the update a rating
avatar hands in home: 2/5 sound good on paper, in practice wastes battery life, and breaks immersion due to the avatars being generally clunky and widely disliked.

messenger app: 1/5 i don't like my headsets space being wasted by apps ill never use.

meta quest move overlay re-haul: 4.5/5 no real complaints, i actually like this one, far more pleasing than the original.

things worth noting: I've had issues with 2D apps after the update, that's it really.

Buetigame
Expert Protege

Got another Update to 47.0.0.266 and now I've got "arms" 😉
Don't know if I like that, schould be optional.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Ok, we're supposed to be able to pin apps to the universal menu.

How is this done?

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Hands and arms need work. If the left controller is inactive for a few seconds the left hand "lets go" and the controller floats on its own as before. Move the left controller a bit and the left hand grabs it. Kind of lame watching the left hand drop away and grab out again repeatedly.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Ok, this hands and arms business needs lots of work.

I took my Quest 2 off to take a break and eat some lunch. I put it back on and the hands come up in hand tracking mode even though I have the auto-switch disabled. As a consequence the controllers aren't showing in HMD and I have to tap to pass through mode to locate the controllers.

There doesn't seem to be an option to disable the hands and arms.

How can I go back to v46?

Buetigame
Expert Protege

"How can I go back to v46?"

No way...

AlphaEndgame
Explorer

I also want to express my desire to disable the new arms. They look and feel terrible and I much preferred the ghost hands. Please add a toggle option so we can go back to just using the hands.

DoctorHoundinit
Honored Guest

Why can't any answer this crucial question? How hard can it be for someone to try an pair their pro controllers with a Quest 2 and either confirm or deny!?

Come of guys this is a huge issue given the impending release is literally days away.

Are the controllers supported or not?

ghkgjgjhjh
Explorer

This v47 so is a public beta testing without possibility to say no?!?, I don't want to try something that have many issues! Now oculus link cable doesn't run like v46. It is terrible! How can I return to v46?? Not possible? Why??? Resolve this issue!! No comment about this idea!!! Oculus quest pro some firmware of quest2?! Two product cdifferenr with some firmware??? I want mi quest2 with link cable like v46!

VanderAGSN
Explorer

I hope they will make this switchable in the upcoming patches and updates. This avatar looks really inappropriate and laggy in terms of IK

DoctorHoundinit
Honored Guest

Nobody is asking "you" whoever you are, to test this, or answer this question. This is a question to the community as a whole, NOT you as an individual. You have other concerns, fine! They are NOT my concerns, neither are they my question - so please address your concerns elsewhere!!!

ghkgjgjhjh
Explorer

I can't use my headset because with the new update link cable does not working fine! Now I see that this v47 is a beta and this problem on v46 there wasn't. All new updates of firmware, as of today, were official version and not beta! Nobody asked me if I agreed with the test of v47. Thi is the real problem!!

DoctorHoundinit
Honored Guest

You are writing your comments in the WRONG place!!! I am commenting on another comment, both of which are asking about the pro controllers and their compatibility with this update.

You can go post your specific concerns/comments and complaints anywhere else in this entire thread where they will be appropriate. You have commented on the ONLY part of the thread that is about the pro controllers. Post elsewhere!!!