cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v47 is starting to roll out. Meta Quest Pro is not included in the PTC at this time. Let's use this thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports along with posting here if you notice anything going wrong.

Thanks to everyone testing out PTC and sharing your feedback! We appreciate your help testing out the core functionality of software as we develop!

89 Comments
tanubon
Heroic Explorer

I haven't received any reports of Pro controller working with Quest2. I've seen reports that it didn't work. Even though Pro controller support is listed in the v47 update. WTF.

DoctorHoundinit
Honored Guest

I have heard it from one source that it could be a sequentially rolled out feature, working with some that have V47, and not others, and that it will be added in time for launch on the 7th, but this is just one large Youtuber, so second hand information from someone supposedly at Meta. It's pretty ridiculous to be in the dark as we are. I have purchased the pro controllers for Quest 2 for £300, and I have no idea if I will be able to use them come Wednesday.

petey-grk
Honored Guest

I have quest 1, was working perfect up to v.45, After forced v.46 update headset takes 6 minutes to turn on, and apps crash a few times before they work and take a couple of minutes to start, PTC updated to v.47 but still the same problem, did factory reset which did not fix anything. This problem had also occured v.39- v.42. And v.43 fixed everything.. thankyou

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Why color space setting was gone? Still app library filter / sort setting are missing.

ghkgjgjhjh
Explorer

I'm writing in the v47 post. Like indicate in the first comment of the administrator.

If v47 has an issue, I write this! I don't understand your problem if I write the issue of link cable. This is so serious problem because pcvr don't work like v46.

xuliang75
Explorer

In my case, GPU Dynamic Boost was causing the issue. I have a Lenovo Legion 5 pro with 150W TDP. Using Lenovo Legion Toolkit, I played with different settings. The frame drop stops if I put dynamic boost to zero in Power Modes. Indeed, the frame drops is way worse on Performance Mode than on Balanced Mode (more dynamic boost in Performance mode to reach 150W...).

Buetigame
Expert Protege

So you got a problem with a mobile GPU RTX 3060 and a feature called "Max-Q dynamic boost" (at least a power sharing feature between CPU and GPU, activated by default). Could it be confimed, that these problems only appear on mobile GPU?

@topic: the problem is, that the discussion about the PTC merges with the Release-Channel because the PTC released to public... maybe by mistake. So it is perfectly understandable to discuss problems occurring in the release channel here.

I was never on TPC with my Quest 2 and got
- 47.0.0.263 at 2nd Dec
- 47.0.0.266 at 3rd Dec

With my desktop PC (5900X CPU and RTX 2080) there where no "spiking" or other problems with (Air-)Link.

Also read this:
New Meta Quest Update Adds Background Audio Playback, Mixed Reality Capture, Shareable Wishlists, an...

No word's about using the pro controller with quest 2... and it's not sure, that you can use them, originally bundled with Quest Pro. Maybe only the separate ordered controller (not available yet) can be used with Quest 2... but this is speculation.

My opinion about that: this feature comes available, when the controller are available.
Wait for friday (estimated availability), keep your Quest 2 "online" and maybe it will work then 😉

DoctorHoundinit
Honored Guest

The Pro controllers are ship to customers tomorrow, I think the official release date is the day after, certainly either Tuesday or Wednesday is the release date, not Friday. Also the Pro controllers were already confirmed to be Quest 2 compatible by Meta themselves, and indeed this is included in their advertised listing on the Meta store where it says they will work with an update coming in December. Elsewhere Meta confirmed that V47 is the last update of the year, but some people have stated that they have the controllers and V47, but the controllers do not work.

^ As customers we haven't been able to get any clarity on the matter out of Meta themselves, that in a nutshell is the issue.

There is no other matter associated with this update where people have paid out £300, have a product arriving on their doorstep within a day, where they have no idea whether it will work or not in any capacity, and where Meta are offering nothing whatsoever in the way of clarity.

It's a huge deal.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone! Thanks for testing. Meta Quest software version 47 is now live and available to everyone. I've posted the release notes for it here. It does include support for the Quest Pro Touch Controllers with Quest 2 devices. If anyone is having trouble with getting them working, some basic steps are to try rebooting your Quest 2, making sure you're on the wifi network, and checking for updates in your headset and mobile device.

If none of that works, there's always a trusty factory reset to clean out any weird configuration issues or files that might be causing trouble.

Otherwise, it'd probably be best to contact the support team directly to work on the situation, in case there's something specific to your setup that might be causing the problem.

cheeeze
Explorer

On 47.0.0.264.341

Device is suffering from Air link stutters as other people mentionned. It seems somehow better than v46 but the issue is still ongoing . Awaiting for a fix.

my device has been unusable for a couple weeks now. I'm even starting to wonder if this is a legal matter. Selling a couple hundred dollars worth non-working device is just plain wrong.

kzolee216
Protege

Link and Airlink stutters. (72-120hz)

ghkgjgjhjh
Explorer

There will be a patch for resolve the issues about link cable and air link connection for pcvr?

Aren360
Honored Guest

I hope a representative from Quest can respond to the questions on this thread.

DoctorHoundinit
Honored Guest

Thx for the clarity re the touch pro controllers on Quest 2!

fatal88
Expert Protege

For me, the stuttering is almost completely gone, but framedrops are still there, so it's weird. Something happened with the encoder that's for sure, because my old (and untouched) OBS presets can't record with nvenc anymore, encoder fps goes down if I turn it on. I only record Beat Saber so I've set the recording to CPU now, which works but energy efficiency would be better with GPU encoding.

Anyway, it's playable now at me. I reduced Air Link bitrate to fixed 125 mbps (in V44 it was on fixed 170) and I'm using 90hz.

n9yty
Explorer

v47 afflicted my headset with the "won't charge over ~55%" unless you are in the boot loader. Nice. No way to resolve this from what I have read, but it surely seems like a software issue. Some had mentioned that it started working again after a subsequent update, but I have no way to re-apply v47 or do much of anything until the next update comes out, if that even fixes it. Frustrating that this bug is still circulating.

kzolee216
Protege

Quest 2 is unplayable Link and Airlink connection. Terreible link connection and dropped frames in 72 hz - 120 hz.

My spec:

I7 9700K

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X

16 Gig

Asus 3080 TUF OC

When can we expect solution?

Multyspeed
Honored Guest

I have the same issue as kzolee216 with a similar PC

I7 - 9700K

Asrock Z390 Extreme4

32GB RAM

Asus 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC

It's really horrible experience. I have tried factory resetting and overclocking the GPU and the CPU (no difference). I reinstalled the Oculus app on the PC (Windows 10) with the latest Nvidia drivers, and older drivers ... no difference at all ...

AlphaEndgame
Explorer

Can you give us some feedback on the possibility of disabling the new arms and just use the previous ghost hands? I would much prefer continuing to use the ghost hands.

Fretbol
Honored Guest

Since v47 extreme stuttering and glitching in racegames like Project Cars 2 and Automobilista 2 on Quest 2 with link cable. Everything worked fine on v46. Please fix this, at the moment racing in VR is simply impossible!

xuliang75
Explorer

My laptop is a Legion 5 pro with an RTX 3070 Ti. 30XX series don't have "Max-Q dynamic boost", they use a different type of dynamic power boost apparently.

To get rid of the issue, I use a custom power mode in Lenovo Legion Toolkit, and set dynamic boost to "zero" (see below). I'm losing a bit of extra power, but it solves the constant frame drop issue, as seen in the screenshot from one of my previous post.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 230335.png

kzolee216
Protege

I have a PC. Your solution is not good.

Dagfal
Explorer

For the love of Christ give us a way to revert back to V46 from V47.

I have read enough post and so called solutions over the past three days to make my eyes bleed. Its clear V47 is a problem for many of us using the link cable , its also clear many of us only use the quest 2 only for pcvr and our headsets are just sitting on our desk taking up space.

This is the kind of mess that means our next headsets we purchase will be someone else's product.

Do better. Much Much better.

AlphaEndgame
Explorer

I wish I knew I could block updates before all this mess. I would have never updated. Why can't I just downgrade the firmware of a device I payed hundreds of euros for?

fatal88
Expert Protege

For a lot of us issue started with v46. V47 made it better for me, I hope there is no new update which will ruin everything (although it's still far from perfect) for the holiday season. V47 and 44 was perfect, I don't understand why I can't downgrade. I don't give a crap about the new features when PCVR is ruined.

Multyspeed
Honored Guest

I hope there is new update before the holidays, so all of us that can't play now, enjoy the holidays. The V46 was way better than V47.

fatal88
Expert Protege

Yeah if it fixes, sure. But someone wrote that there was an update yesterday which made things worse.

I think some rolling release feature ruin things, but not activated for everyone in the same version. So a lot of you getting it now with v47 and some of us got it earlier in v46 because v46 was the worst for me, it was unplayable.

MAX.I.CAN
Honored Guest

I have the exact same problem , since the update I cant play Population One , everytime my guardian appears it starts stuttering , and even when it doesnt the game sttutering makes it unplayable , headache included , I wish I could downgrade to V46 , I dont care about the new features I just want to enjoy my headset , Im about ot buy and Index by now

MAX.I.CAN
Honored Guest

youve been working on this for 4 weeks , let us downgrade to v46 until you fix your problems

MAX.I.CAN
Honored Guest

same , I tried to update the Intel drivers and it seems to work better now , V47 is the worst update Ive seen

MAX.I.CAN
Honored Guest

same , and I want to think its not my PC , I got a 13th gen I9 , RTX3080Ti , and 64 RAM , Z690 GAMING X

fatal88
Expert Protege

The encoder still lags and causing stuttering on the lateset update.

Also, if I put down my headset for 10 minutes, air link disconnects itself. Why? This wasn't the case before and totally unnecessary.

Also these new hands in standalone mode are crazy **bleep**, sometimes it's all over the place if the controllers are moving. Why can't we turn them off to restore the ghost hands? It's totally useless anyway.

Multyspeed
Honored Guest

After several returning to factory settings, reinstalling oculus app on my PC, I have manage to make it work with the link cable.

I have lowered the encoder bitrate to 280 from 300. Now its way better.

But the first 2-3 times it didn't work.

Steveoz32x
Explorer

I am having the same problem, I only play PCVR. Before I could stream half life Alyx on ultra no problem @ 1.6x, now on airlink I cannot even navigate the oculus menu without lag and then it grinding to a complete halt. Link cable does the same, stops functioning and just a static screen with the stupid black tunnels after about a minute, so the quest is now a paperweight for me.

I have tried a factory reset of quest 2 and reinstalled the desktop software, but its still broken 😞 I am so angry with them for rolling out this update that breaks my device!!!!

Steveoz32x
Explorer

Horrendous isn't it. I've thrown my quest on the chair in the corner, I literally cannot play PCVR any more. I need to go back to v46 😕

Multyspeed
Honored Guest

Did you try lowering the encoders bitrate ? It worked for me. Now it is ok and Im using it only for PCVR.

Dagfal
Explorer

I also have been able to use my link cable by lowering the encoder bitrate. ( I was maxed at 500 and just dropped to zero) There does seem to be a minor drop is the image quality. But I can walk around in Skyrim again..

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Some people already got PTC v49. Have you been slow to post recently?

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

I was out taking some time off, so the announcement post was delayed. I've published it now here