cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v.38 is starting to roll out today. Let's use his thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports along with posting in this thread you notice anything wrong.

When sharing feedback, try to include as much detail as possible to help the team investigate.

85 Comments
Amazing_Pug
Honored Guest

Hello, my headset updated automatically to v38, and as I would guess many people are, I am kind of disappointed about the logo change on startup. Other than that, the only difference that I’ve noticed is that some things in the UI are more spaced out and it looks much cleaner in my opinion.

bowman9991
Protege

Device bricked with v38 PTC. The firmware uploads (firmware icon and green bar completes) but when it reboots the logo just keeps flashing. If I power on again, the green bar loads again and it goes back to the flashing logo. Have tried multiple reboots,  hard reboots, factory resets, wifi router reboot, powering down from Android menu, etc. Looks like its bricked my device!  Any suggestions welcome. Thanks. John.

bowman9991
Protege

It's the old logo still, so looks like the firmware update never makes it.

Rapierarch
Explorer

Does this update provide fix for blurry vision due to incorrect CA compensation which is introduced with V37?

nabelo
Protege

Got the firmware today. Also after the firmware update i got an update for the "SocialPlattform" app.
Since then "SocialPlattform" is crashing everytime if i try to open a chat trough the Messenger icon.

anyone else?

RetroActive84
Expert Protege

@Amazing_Pug wrote:

Hello, my headset updated automatically to v38, and as I would guess many people are, I am kind of disappointed about the logo change on startup. Other than that, the only difference that I’ve noticed is that some things in the UI are more spaced out and it looks much cleaner in my opinion.

I have it finished too, and so far like you the only change I noticed is the logo... out side of that and having to re select my environment, I haven't noticed any difference from v37, mine is still blurry, I have tried all the visual settings for the EyePiece as for 1,2, and 3 but 2 is still the best of the 3 and still blurry. I feel dissapointed as well, as I haven't gotten anything new or different at all other than a logo change.

Minibattle
Protege

Any idea if oculus link discharge will ever be resolved? The headset used to charge during link but now it always discharges, no matter what adapters and powered hubs I use.

LetoDK
Explorer

Maybe sharing what has changed will increase the chance of getting useful feedback. Otherwise I might assume a given bug is an old bug, or that a new feature is a bug etc.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I'm now kinda glad I opted out of the Quest Beta a few weeks ago.  Feedback did not seem to make much difference with beta v37 anyway and there is no way to roll back until the next public release.  Very silly imho, lol!

RetroActive84
Expert Protege

You know how some grocery stores have carts you have to pay a quarter to get, I feel the same about the updates, you pretty much get your leg caught in a bear trap and cant open it to release your leg unless you pay a quarter... you are trapped with the updates untill HOPEFULLY the public release, but then 37 shows us that even then you are sometimes in that bear trap and dont have a quarter to spend.

Chefschweisser
Explorer

The V37 fixed that already if you opted into Ptc on your mobile

IsaiahH146
Explorer

Can we get a list of new features?

ShocksVR
Superstar

I'm liking the new 'Settings Tab'; makes it more similar to a Windows experience. 

So far PTC v38 is running fine for me. I'll keep this post updated if I encounter any issues.

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

How about CA & ghosting problem?

ShocksVR
Superstar

the increased Chromatic Aberration (CA) was fixed via a v37-hotfix many weeks ago.

ShocksVR
Superstar

If you still have increased CA then contact Oculus Support.

For 99.9% of Quest users, the CA has been fixed for many weeks.  It's why there's been no posts about CA complaints on Reddit for quite some time.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@tanubon  Nothing that Meta does is ever going to fix everything for everyone imho.  Users will always find something to complain and rant about, lol!

bowman9991
Protege

Hi Ryan, or anyone out there. Is it likely that my device will be recoverable when new firmware versions are released - or have I permanently bricked it? 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@bowman9991  Just contact Oculus support to see what can be done.

https://support.oculus.com/

revanmj
Protege

Today for the first time since getting Quest (more than a year ago), I've experienced what seemed like overheating (Quest kept going to sleep every few minutes while I was using it without any prior notice).

v38 installed yesterday, Quest was connected to USB charger. Bug report submitted.

Basti564
Explorer

v38 has been great so far, with the exception of the Android Settings. Some panels like Account Section don't work. This is a problem since the Account Section is used by some 2D Android apps to log out / manage the account associated with an app.
After some investigation it seems like this piece of code in Settings.apk (com.android.settings.accounts.AccountPreferenceController) is the culprit as there was an additional check added in the Settings app from

public boolean isAvailable() {
        return !this.mUm.isManagedProfile();
}

in v37 to 

public boolean isAvailable() {
        if (!this.mContext.getResources().getBoolean(R.bool.config_enable_account_dashboard)) {
                return false;
        }
        return !this.mUm.isManagedProfile();
}

in v38.

Is this supposed to be in the final version of v38 and will there be a way for me to  manually set config_enable_account_dashboard to true in the future? Also what is the reason for this check to be added? Thanks!

IsaiahH146
Explorer

Bro out here fixing Oculus' crappy programming for them 💀

BigToeSmallShoe
Explorer

All good here!

bowman9991
Protege

Yep. Just what I did. 

JP_Fr
Protege

I think it's a shame that there is nothing to test or that we don't know what to test at each update. Version 37 brought blur to the headset and v38 a new Meta logo...

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Are you going to fix any long standing issues and add support for Windows 11, or is this another release with some new features and where you break things further?

ShocksVR
Superstar

The PTC v38 PC-app has been released.

A few tid bits worth pointing out.

A new 'Mobile ASW' option which is set to Auto (I'm on a Quest2).  And PC-ASW is now disabled by default, and has been given the PC tag.

Attached image of the changes.  I'm curious if anyone had the chance to try Link and if they notice anything different to their ASW/Reprojection experience

Mobile ASWMobile ASW

Anonymous
Not applicable

I still don't understand what the point of pushing out a test release and seeking feedback is without publishing at least a basic change log so testers have some idea of what's changed and where to direct their scrutiny. Facebook's Meta's development methodology continues to be baffling with the results, of course, speaking for themselves in the number of broken (and non-revertable) updates that have been pushed out to the general user base since release.

That said, since the v38 update my headset now has to be fully powered off when not in use because if left in standby mode, it will randomly power up. This behaviour so far only seems to occur when with a lens cover in place (essential to provent sun damage in a house with a lot of open windows), so I assume something has been screwed up with the proximity sensor.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I got v38 over the weekend, and every time I go to use my Quest 2 since then, the battery is dead. This typically happens when an update has just been installed, because I keep my headset in standby, with a lens protector on. The headset wakes during the update process, and then stays on (because the proximity sensor sees the lens protector) until the battery is drained. I don't think there have been further updates since the initial one (I haven't noticed a change in the version number), but something is causing my headset to wake from standby every day now under v38. Rather inconvenient--I guess maybe I need to cut a hole in my lens cover to prevent triggering the sensor.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks @Anonymous and @nalex66! That's just the sort of feedback we have the PTC for, and what the PTC team is looking to identify early. I've brought this to the attention of the team to investigate.

And thanks to everyone for providing your feedback so far.

CactusCowboy
Adventurer

> I've brought this to the attention of the team to investigate.

So it will take like >= 5 months to get fixed like the Win 11 support?

nabelo
Protege

>>So it will take like >= 5 months to get fixed like the Win 11 support?

It is fixed??? 😉

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey guys, I appreciate the sentiment, but let's try and keep focused threads like this helpful and constructive. Windows 11 certification being worked on by the team, but it's a much different task from bug fixes that might be found during PTC.

CactusCowboy
Adventurer

Sure. I'll be back reminding you when the bugs discovered during PTC get rolled out live.... gradually... so it can be stopped,... but won't....

AngeloCarlo
Protege

Desk and Couch guardians are now in guardian setting and no longer an experimental feature. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

@nalex66 wrote:

I got v38 over the weekend, and every time I go to use my Quest 2 since then, the battery is dead. This typically happens when an update has just been installed, because I keep my headset in standby, with a lens protector on. The headset wakes during the update process, and then stays on (because the proximity sensor sees the lens protector) until the battery is drained. I don't think there have been further updates since the initial one (I haven't noticed a change in the version number), but something is causing my headset to wake from standby every day now under v38. Rather inconvenient--I guess maybe I need to cut a hole in my lens cover to prevent triggering the sensor.

On further investigation, it might just be poor battery management. I just checked my headset, and it’s lost 15% in standby from a full charge 5 hours ago. This is definitely not typical behaviour. 

Edit: Yeah, my battery is just draining too fast in standby with v38. I checked it again this morning, and I’m at 54% at 14 hours of standby after a full charge. I’m losing a little over 3% per hour. I used to lose 5 to 10% over 24 hours of standby.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't remember if I left manually or if it was automatic after a reset so you might want to confirm that before if you are in and plan to do a reset, so I'm out and my kudos this round goes to putting the desk and couch feature in the guardian setting.

timbobdavis
Explorer

On Initial boot... Meta icon and 3 dots appear center of screen regardless of orientation, either laying down or sitting upright,  however when room lights are off,  the warning image that follows with confirmation box is not center of screen vertically,  making you have to sit back up to select confirmation button,  also the pointer dot randomly starts un-aligned with controller,  even after pressing Oculus button to attempt alignment,  sometimes you have to point in very odd direction to select.  After confirming the lights are dim and tracking is being turned off, you are notfied a second time in the home environment... a tad annoying...

I like the animation tweaks in the Space Station Home Environment,  but the ships pass behind the starfield so the stars are closer than the ships.  The ships also pass thu each other like Tie Fighters 😉

JP_Fr
Protege

Hi, following my initial post on v37 which made the rendering blurred and chromatic aberrations the 37.0.0.147 patch had partially solved the problem and removed much blur. With the version 38 I find the blur of the beginning of the v37 😐.

harrythecoolb
Protege

i think its not a v 38 issue as i have that issue and im not using v38 same with lots of people

harrythecoolb
Protege

that was fixed ages ago mate

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get this resolved? Ive had 3 of them do the same exact thing. It wasnt during an update or anything. Just random, i put it on after playing for a bit and all i have is the fading O logo. Is your unit new or a refurb? Ive read on another thread its a hardware issue. Some ribbon cable that doesnt sit snug on the mobo comes disconected

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Mine is randomly powering up as well without any lens cover.

First noticed I had to replace controller batteries sooner than daylight saving time.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Yes, it's a thing.

Any word on this?

Rogod
Explorer

It would seem there is some audio issue with v38.

I used to keep my Rift CV1's volume level in Windows (10) at 70% because 100% was painful.
But now after the latest update, setting the volume to 100% is still too quiet - it's off-putting to play something like BeatSaber so quietly lol

100% on v38 feels more like 50% from v37 now 😞

I have tried going via Oculus support, but they're unable to help me downgrade my version so I'm stuck now - no amount of fiddling with audio settings in Windows is letting me up that volume any higher (and I can tell something's being throttled because the device test sound effect is very loud when I click it)

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

I do believe a hotfix came as early as this morning.

My headset is now staying in standby while idle and I do believe the version changed, so hats off to the team!

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good eyes! And you're correct, there's an update rolling out for PTC which should correct the idle issues reported here. 

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Rogod, thanks for reporting! I haven't heard of any changes in the PTC for PC which might have changed any volume settings, but I've brought it up with the team in case there's any change that I hadn't seen. If you haven't yet, it'd also be good to put in a bug report with your details.

Rogod
Explorer

Not sure where I'd be reporting this as a bug - I can't see anything that lets me do this 😞