cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v43 is starting to roll out. Let's use this thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports along with posting here if you notice anything going wrong.

Thanks to everyone testing out PTC and sharing your feedback! We appreciate your help testing out the core functionality of software as we develop!

137 Comments
Skuzz420
Explorer

I thought I'd try Pavlov VR and go for some of the smaller maps with less people on them.

But now I keep getting a lot of  'Authentication Timed Out' messages when trying to join servers, about 75% of the time it fails. It's never been like this.

This 'update' really has broken PC-VR gaming.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, there's a fix for the CPU usage issue which some people are experiencing that's being tested right now. It's going to roll out gradually so that the team can monitor its performance. Keep an eye out for the PC build 43.0.0.188.173 which has the potential fix. If you don't have it yet, just wait a few more days and check again (I don't have the exact timeline for 100% deploy since it'll depend on how performance goes, but it shouldn't be too long). 

Skuzz420
Explorer

Hi Ryan, no change for me.

On PC, In Oculus > Settings > General tab, at the bottom it says Oculus App Version 43.0.0.189.173 (43.0.0.188.173)

Does it matter that the non-bracketed version says .189. which is higher than the other?

Grotale
Honored Guest

My PC also got updated version 43.0.0.189.173 (43.0.0.188.173) but CPU usage problem still exists.

Grotale
Honored Guest

I tried to send feedback via Oculus App just in case it would provide some usefull info to developers, but feedback functions seems to fail. I get error message when I'm closing the app.

Grotale_0-1660934589318.png

Papu_Papu
Explorer

I just got this update. No change for me. The CPU usage is still high.

Oculus app version 43.0.0.189.173 (43.0.0.188.173)

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Skuzz420 and @Grotale, if you're still having trouble, could you stop and then restart the OVRService and let us know if that helps the CPU usage?

EDIT: Another thing to try is logging out of your account on the PC app and logging back in.

Grotale
Honored Guest

I first tried service restart, but that didn't change anything.

It seems that logging out (and new login) solved CPU load problem!

Running Oculus App Version 43.0.0.189.173 (43.0.0.188.173). No other changes done on computer.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to hear! I'll let the team know. If anyone else is still having trouble after getting the new build, go ahead and try logging out and back in and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for reporting and testing with us, everyone!

Skuzz420
Explorer

Stopping and restarting OVRService doesn't help.

Logging out drops CPU to 3%, but as soon as I log back in it jumps back up to 34%

astrotol
Honored Guest

Same here, no fix after the update. Service restart or relog doesn't help. 

Rascal5688
Honored Guest

60% CPU usage at idle!!!! What the heck is this client doing? Mining bitcoins? All my VR is lagging and losing headset tracking. 

WarTourist
Explorer

Logging out and back in for from the desktop app did the trick! Thanks!

Kroink144
Explorer

Yes logging out and in works!

total_jabroni
Explorer

I can also confirm logging out and back in worked for me.  

Go to Settings>Account>Log Out

mateusperes
Explorer

For me it solved for the time very grateful.

Papu_Papu
Explorer

Just wanna update, Logging out and back in fixed the issue for me too on the latest v43 build.

astrotol
Honored Guest

The issue is only with the Oculus account, when I used the Facebook account to log in with the Oculus app the issue was fixed. CPU usage with Oculus account is still 70%!

Skuzz420
Explorer

Hi astrotol, I can confirm this works!!! Thanks!

@RyanalityNot happy at having to finally merge Oculus/Facebook to get past this bug, but CPU is now idling at 3-4%!

What on Earth is going on inside the Oculus App with after an Oculus login?

Please do tell when you find out! 🙂

TY!

APaps
Honored Guest

This did not work for me. Still same issue with CPU usage being very high

Skuzz420
Explorer

Did you use the Facebook login option? The bug is only there if I use Oculus login option.

Fabrikanes
Honored Guest

OculusClient.exe
Desktop version 43.0.0.175.173 (43.0.0.175.173)

CPU was at rest 13%-15%
Logged out, use the Facebook login (relog, restart)
Became 0%-0.3%
Works fine

APaps
Honored Guest

Ah I did not know this! I will give it ago tonight! Thanks guys 

jay4405
Expert Protege

I wanted to report an annoying bug when setting bitrate for Airlink.  It will throttle down to 23 mps and shoot back up to the 150 range causing it to feel like your hitting a brick wall. Easy workaround is using the debug tool and manually setting bitrate. Hopefully this helps others. Happy Gaming!!

Mr_Sukebe
Protege

Can you please provide a URL link to the download for v43.

I've looked in the store page, i.e. https://store.facebook.com/gb/en/quest/setup/

The "download" links in there point to the older Oculus install.

iMight404
Retired Support

This thread is for the public test build of V43. V43 should be rolling out to users as we speak if it hasn't already.  There's an article on how to update your Quest software here.

Mr_Sukebe
Protege

There is NO link at the location you mention to download the latest version of the App.

iMight404
Retired Support

You need to opt into the PTC for Quest software. Once you're enrolled, and confirmed as enrolled into the PTC, your headset should automatically be receiving updates from the development branch instead of the release branch. There's no links to downloads, access to PTC is on an opt-in basis and is done automatically.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're inquiring about and this isn't regarding the PTC.

Mr_Sukebe
Protege

Naw, you're right, I'm not meant to be in the test group.

I'm just a normal user with a Rift S.

Either way, the download does NOT give me the correct version of the App.

iMight404
Retired Support

If you're in the test group and want to update to a release version of the software instead, you'll need to opt out of the PTC and wait until the next release version hits your headset. There isn't currently a way to roll back updates or install release builds over a PTC build

pawelox123
Honored Guest

I got v44 on pc 😮
Oculus app version 44.0.0.137.455 (44.0.0.137.455)

studlygoorite
Expert Protege

FYI, I received v44 today on my PC (Headset is still on v43) and my favorite game Virtual Pinball VR is not working anymore. Regular PC VR Apps are working fine. Hopefully things will be better when my headset updates.

Update, sorry the issue was with my VP software and not with v44

SwooshStackz
Protege

I’ll wait for the phone app to update!

mattneidert
Honored Guest

v44 just showed up on my Quest 2 this morning. Besides some minor tweaks to showing the button icons instead of oculus/menu buttons and referring to them as Meta Quest apps, I can’t say I’ve noticed anything else that’s different yet.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

You guys beat me to it! I've spun up the new thread here

Thanks everyone for testing out v43 and reporting bugs! It helped the team identify and resolve several issues before the official launch. 

SlyTrooper25
Honored Guest

Having the same Airlink problem as everyone else, Flickering image 

SlyTrooper25
Honored Guest

Disregard previous comment