cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest v54 is starting to roll out for Meta Quest Pro and Meta Quest 2. Thanks everyone for all your feedback!  

Let's use this thread for collecting feedback on v54. Share your impressions and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports along with posting here if you notice anything going wrong. 

Thanks again to everyone testing out PTC and sharing your feedback! We appreciate your help testing out the core functionality of software as we develop!

206 Comments
sibir.lupus
Explorer

That's completely understood, and it is a problem. But shouting at someone due to an issue is never the way to get it resolved. Software is never going to be 100% stable for everyone, but I do agree that Meta should be putting a little more "polish" on some of the general updates to minimize user issues. Document issue(s), address it in a respectful way with support, then wait for the fix. Those are the proper steps to getting things resolved :). 

ArcAngel115
Protege

heres the thing. v51 WAS 100 percent stable for me.  And to not provide me the option to maintain that stability is wrong.  Does Nvidia or AMD restrict what drivers we chose to use? No, we can maintain a funtional configuration even after driver updates come out.  We are ALL having a degraded experence , just most people dont realize it or dont care.  Its those of us here who are vocal about it because we have some technical knowlage and its out duty to gripe so the silent masses are properly served.  

Meta needs to realize that the reason that the quest 2 sold so well was one simple thing.  PCVR WORKED!  As a stand alone unit, the quest 2 is just meh.  Again, yes, standalone was drove masses to the quest 2.  Then it drove many of those masses to invest in a quality multi-thousand dollar gaming PC after realizing how crap stand alone was.  Stand alone got them in the door, both the end user and Meta, but PCVR gives the quest 2 its legs and longevity.  

ArcAngel115
Protege

BTW, some people here have talked about sideloading v50 and it not working.  That makes sense.  BUT, in theory v51 should work because its android 12.  I want to try it but I cant for the life of me find a v51 zip to give it a shot.  I want v51 and dont care about new features, my PC can handle features with virtual desktop or ALXR/ALVR  just give us the dam firmware that worked! We will do the rest

jdawg46.1976
Protege

I opted out of PTC today, factory reset, could not find my right controller for 10 minutes, not a fun experience

sibir.lupus
Explorer

For you, yes. For others it may not have been stable. The real points here are that this is an effort from multiple parties to have continuous updates be a thing for our Quest headsets. So to sit on an update and refuse to move from it helps no one and leaves the device open to possible future issues. Also, this is about how you respond and address things. You are yelling at "Meta" to fix things, but your are really yelling at actual people that make and support this hardware/software. The phrase "You get more flies with honey than with vinegar" really holds true. 

Ggizzle_s.o.g
Expert Protege

important message

ArcAngel115
Protege

we tried honey in the v53 ptc thread, we got no flies.  and how i'm responding is appropriate because i spent money period.  just ask budlight if that's important. updates are good, choice is better and the right thing to do.  using smalls words so you'll understand  -.-

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

I got new PTC version of both. Umm... super high transfer time problem on H265 isn't solved.

https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Announcements/PTC-v53-Release-Megathread/m-p/1045115/highlight...

pitchBLAK
Explorer

Hey mate, are you OldAndSlowDev? If so, I've validated what you're referring to using task manager on both QPro and Q2, my network throughput is the same when I set fixed to 100 and 150... If anything, my Q2 throughput is actually higher from the PC, which makes the whole thing worse, as Q2 is pumping more data, yet the transfer latency is lower + viewed quality in headset having less compression. Have a look:
Q2-100-Fixed-TaskManagerQ2-100-Fixed-TaskManagerQPro-100-Fixed-TaskManagerQPro-100-Fixed-TaskManagerQ2-150-Fixed-TaskManagerQ2-150-Fixed-TaskManagerQPro-150-Fixed-TaskManagerQPro-150-Fixed-TaskManager

You can set the fixed bitrate either within headset via the dash, but for demonstration purposes, I have done it via the debug tool, so you can see it in screenshot (result is the same and performance overlay shows the change in headset)

pitchBLAK
Explorer

Haha yeah over in Oz, so it was 9:30pm for me when I replied =P!
I haven't done a router power cycle, but worth giving it a go to see!

OldTarget
Protege

OldTarget and OldAndSlowDev are indeed my two nicknames 🙂
Thank you very much for providing such detailed screenshots. 
From what I see you provide all evidences about the fact there are some spikes on the transmit time (that I actually solve by using dynamic bitrate, but it's maybe only a workaround), and the fact the photo latency is higher on the QuestPro (the 10ms increase in latency).

I have sadly nothing more to propose to try. I haven't used a Quest 2 so I am now "used" to the Quest Pro behavior and the 50-60ms latency. I focused on having a good image quality and no latency spikes so my go to settings for the Quest Pro is dynamic bitrate 200Mbps with Dynamic Bitrate Offset set to 50Mbps.

I hope what you found is actually a "bug" and can be improve, but I tend to think it's what the hardware is...

pitchBLAK
Explorer

Tried the power cycle... no difference sadly =(! Have also tried dynamic with an offset, but it doesn't fix the latency. Outside of reformatting my PC (which no one should have to do in order to have a good experience after 1 update), I'm not sure what else to try =/. I just hope meta devs see all these posts and can gleam some helpful info from it and come up with a fix... Pretty frustrating personally, as I spent the money on the QPro to be a PCVR headset (wirelessly)... having it perform like this really suffocates the experience (all respect to the meta devs and their hard work under no doubt difficult conditions)... would be nice if we had some comms acknowledging the issue at the very least and that it's being investigated.

M0RIATY
Adventurer

Have you a friend that doesn't have a quest pro / quest 2 with a laptop that has at least a 1660 ti GPU that you can borrow for 30 mins to install the Oculus PCVR software and connect in in place of your PC, this will then maybe prove it's an issue with your PC or with the Quest Pro ? (Yes I also have a gaming laptop which is another reason I found it was windows and not the Quest Pro as this is what made me go down the reinstall windows route)

jdawg46.1976
Protege

was there a new v54 pushed via PTC or is it still the original? I opted out of PTC yesterday due to all the wifi 6e problems but would like to go back if there are some fixes. So far have no issues on v53 stable release.

ObserverVR
Explorer

I got a new PTC build today. It updated from System version 50542050022700150 to 50542050028800150.

• The search icon in the Universal Menu is still not functional
  • Move app is still broken
  • Lying Down mode is still missing from the accessbillity settings
  • Still can't access the Quest 2 storage when plugged into a PC via MTP. The file system won't load.

Can't say anything about Wi-Fi or AirLink issues.

jdawg46.1976
Protege

Thank you, going to test now.  Will post my updates on the wifi 6e issues that I experienced in the original v54. Hopefully the voices on that issue reached someone's ears. Will post updates by the end of the day if not sooner.

jdawg46.1976
Protege

well...i didnt get any drops but it immediately started the problem of telling me my airlink "meets some requirements" told me my wifi is average, but if i go into wifi itself - tells me the wifi connection is excellent. A bit disappointed that is not being addressed but it may just be cosmetic. Will do further testing but can confirm on v53 i didnt see that the entire day and it only came back after going to v54, did not drop me yet but will post a new update if i see that. Also my version is slightly different than what you posted. 

System version 50031110029800330
Version 54.0.0.107.344.474388434
Runtime Version 54.0.0.112.348.475264658
OS Version SQ3A.220605.009.A1

Do you have the quest pro or the quest 2?

ObserverVR
Explorer

I have a Quest 2. OS builds for Quest Pro and Quest 2 devices have different version numbers.

jdawg46.1976
Protege

yes sorry i read your 4th bullet point and saw you meant quest 2. thank you. 

jdawg46.1976
Protege

anyone have the version numbers of the v54 that first came out? specifically for the quest pro? want to see if we got the newer version of 54 or still riding on the old. The problems i saw on the version i got last week seem to still be present. 

OldTarget
Protege

Got a newer version of 54 and airlink is totally broken once again, the encoder isn't able to maintain 30fps so don't even think doing VR with that. I am done with PTC. Detecting complex issues to help dev team is normal. But testing basic features instead of a proper QC isn't.

VR-JoeF
Protege

Hey, I'm new to the PTC... I have 54. I like the new look of the App Library, except for the removal of the time stamp that told me how long its been since I last used the app. I found that very useful. Anyone considering bringing that back, or putting the information somewhere else handy?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@jdawg46.1976 wrote:

well...i didnt get any drops but it immediately started the problem of telling me my airlink "meets some requirements" told me my wifi is average, but if i go into wifi itself - tells me the wifi connection is excellent. A bit disappointed that is not being addressed but it may just be cosmetic. Will do further testing but can confirm on v53 i didnt see that the entire day and it only came back after going to v54, did not drop me yet but will post a new update if i see that. Also my version is slightly different than what you posted. 

System version 50031110029800330
Version 54.0.0.107.344.474388434
Runtime Version 54.0.0.112.348.475264658
OS Version SQ3A.220605.009.A1

Do you have the quest pro or the quest 2?

I currently have the same update #'s on my Quest Pro.  I haven't noticed any updates since mine updated from v53ptc.

My Oculus Desktop PC app public beta seems to have got an update yesterday.  It's now;

Not sure if this helps you or not but all's working very well with my Quest Pro/rtx4090 with Air Link at 200mbps Dynamic bitrate.  I'm not using Link right now so I can't say how its working.  Cheers.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@OldTarget wrote:

Got a newer version of 54 and airlink is totally broken once again, the encoder isn't able to maintain 30fps so don't even think doing VR with that. I am done with PTC. Detecting complex issues to help dev team is normal. But testing basic features instead of a proper QC isn't.

I did get a v54ptc update on my Q2/rtx4090 today.  All seems to work fine with Air Link at 200mbps Dynamic and recommended router/wifi 5Ghz..  I did seem to need to do a couple of restarts in order to get things stable though.  Also, cleared guardian as usual.  Task manager shows about 170mbps, but varies a bit depending on the game/sim.

The version #'s are the same as my earlier post for my Quest Pro except for;

software version; 50542050028800150

runtime version; 54.0.0.110.348.475023458

I also got an update as already noted earlier for my oculus desktop app public beta v54.0.0.110.284

Note sure why you are having problems mate.  Probably best to contact Meta support including your log files I guess.

Edit;  Power management on my Quest 2 is still broken since after v51.  No matter how long I leave the headset charging I never get a green light and it never goes higher than 89%.  Same thing happens if I connect my Elite battery strap and charge it.  Never gets green light.  Strap battery reaches 100% but not the headset (88-89% max).  This all started happening when the OS changed to android 12.  I've bug reported this soooo many times now but nothing seems to get this fixed.  Pretty disappointing imho.

pitchBLAK
Explorer

Sigh!!!! I do... I have a Razer Blade 15 laptop with a 3060 in it. I just installed the Oculus software on it (first ever time it has had it installed)... and low and behold, with the same settings (direct connection to router, same res, etc, etc.)... dynamic is reaching around 130mb with 5ms transfer... and I can pump it all the way to 200mb fixed and the transfer stays nice and steady at around 5-6ms... what the actual heck!!

I might try do a full fresh uninstall of the desktop app and see if that works on my main PC... otherwise I might wait to see if a later update comes through and fixes the issue before going down the path of backing everything up and doing a full system reformat (errgghhh). Thanks for the suggestion, what a pain though!

pitchBLAK
Explorer

No luck on a fresh install of Oculus PC app... guess I'm left with waiting to see if a later update fixes it and if not... a windows reformat (still crazy that is needed though).... Meta! Please see these posts and have a look at what is going on with the drivers or what not on the PC side that is causing high transfer times. Cheers for all your help Okuda, I won't bother you further!

M0RIATY
Adventurer

Hate to say I told you so..!! 🙄 What I believe has happened at some point in the past when the Oculus software has been updated it has corrupted a system file (god knows which one!) they more than likely know but won't say anything as this would make them libel for lazy coding and messing up people's pc's they have now fixed the bug in later versions of PTC or release versions we will never know. At least you have a possible solution. glad to have pointed you in the right direction.

M0RIATY
Adventurer

Happy to help any time, all I ask is pay it forward (do someone else a solid sometime) 😁

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ryanality 

is it possible if you could confirm if the issue i posted about has been passed to the dev team 

Because as of the v51 update for Oculus headsets, drag events are not functioning for whatever reason.

It seems that starting drag and drop doesn't send events. Touch events up are also not being sent.

when starting drag and drop shadowbox shows but nothing else

App has been ran on emulators on android 12 (api 31), 12L (api 32) and even android 13 on real hardware (api 33) and drag-and-drop still works fine. This an issue with quest specifically.

OldTarget
Protege

Was working perfectly well with v54 prior to System version 50031110029800330
Fast controller detecting/start, perfect AirLink performance.
With System version 50031110029800330 the Encoder was varying between 20-90fps even in Oculus Home...

jdawg46.1976
Protege

I wonder how we all get mixed results. For me airlink, while it still displays the message that I only meet some requirements, has not dropped me off wifi or disconnected me from airlink to my PC since this new v54. This may prove hard to fix if the devs are not able to produce problems with airlink or wifi 6e.

TastyChimera
Explorer

@OldTarget wrote:

Detecting complex issues to help dev team is normal. But testing basic features instead of a proper QC isn't.

That outlook isn't based in reality. You're literally TESTING...  They make a change, YOU test it out and report back. They can't know how a change will affect users until it's out in the wild with their millions of different hardware configurations...

Alakelele
Expert Protege

Hello there and thank you for sharing those notes, one thing that has been bugging me on this release is the fact that passthrough is reset at every start of the device.
It used to remember your settings when it was restarting but it's no longer the case. Could you help us out on this topic @Ryanality ?

okeyone
Protege

Version 53 Bricked my Pro so it's getting replaced should be back next week.

okeyone
Protege

My Quest 2 after update 54 the controller buttons A B X Y don't work properly. Some games B is now Y and B doesn't work. Some shooting games to reload you press A but nothing. Some games X or Y are menus but don't work. I unpaired and repaired with same results. What else can I try without a factory reset. Wait for a patch?

Thanks 

VR-JoeF
Protege

Could it be a sign a battery degradation on your quest...? My Quest 2 has a green charging light right now -- I'm on 54.

okeyone
Protege

Maybe but I was playing around and found if I push a button then pull the trigger while holding the button it does what it's supposed to do. Before the update 54 the buttons worked the way the games had them programmed.

Exius86
Expert Protege

Got second 54 update (actually it updated only the controllers) and it seems to fix the tracking issue for Pro controllers (regularly disconnecting every couple of minutes with W-Fi 5 connected)! Meta Move is still broken but I believe it can be solved with a Move app update, without firmware updating. So, it's good to see that Meta finally starts fixing things!

Alakelele
Expert Protege

Also, please please, let users disbale guardian while in Passthrough....
Why do we need a guardian while in passthrough ? Since we can see everything around us, this seems a little silly (Big friction point as mentioned in other forums)
Thank you 

VR-JoeF
Protege

Update: I found the last run time stamps on the App Filter Screen... not ideal, but glad I can still find them.

VR-JoeF
Protege

my current numbers are...

Version: 54.0.0.107.344.474388434

Runtime: 54.0.0.110.348.475023458

The 1st 54 I got was...

Version: 54.0.0.60.344.470142692

Runtime: 54.0.0.83.348.472599660

LuvinLife
Protege

Thanks for sharing those version numbers, I was wondering what the newer number was.  I still have the 1st 54 you listed, which doesn't have the new skybox function. When did you get the newer version?

I usually get the updates pretty fast (on/1 day after release) and this one seems to be taking a while.  Thought being part of the PTC would have it rolling faster...  

jdawg46.1976
Protege

that is odd you still have the older v54. i think most of us got the newer v54 last Thursday or Friday. have not seen anyone stuck on the older v54 till you mention it today.

LuvinLife
Protege

I thought it was odd too since I usually get them pretty fast after release (even before I was part of the PTC). Out of curiosity I turned off the PTC option for my PC app back yesterday and it rolled back to V53.  I put it back on the PTC and it bumped back up to a version of 54, but not sure if it is the current one: Oculus App Version 54.0.0.110.284 (54.0.0.110.284)

I have a Q2 and use Q Pro controllers, not sure if that matters aka if releases are hitting the Pro headset first now...

LuvinLife
Protege

I just looked today and I have the version you have now.  It still doesn't have the skybox feature so guessing we will see another update soon that will have that option.  Or so I hope, I think that is a fun option to play with.  🙂

ObserverVR
Explorer

I just checked and Skybox is finally available for me, but it's an experimental feature, you need to turn it on in Experimental Settings and then you'll find it in the Personalization -> Virtual Environment settings, down at the bottom.

LuvinLife
Protege

I just shut down again and it is finally there for me too! Now to see if it works!  🙂

Guessing the new Blue Hill Gold Mine home environment I have seen others have may be a Pro only addition since I don't have it or not yet.

ObserverVR
Explorer

I'm on a Quest 2 and I had the Blue Hill Gold Mine environment for about a day, then the next day I booted my Quest and I was suddenly in a different environment, I checked and noticed that it disappeared from my list of available virtual environments. So, yeah. Odd. Maybe it'll come back one day.

VR-JoeF
Protege

I don't have the Skybox feature yet either... can't wait, sounds cool 🙂

**EDITED** I RESET my Experimental features back to default, which caused a system restart. After the restart, I had the Skybox feature in Experimental, yay 🎉

JohSm67
Rising Star

Did try to use Apple TV+ in the ”Meta Quest Browser” in full screen mode!

It works on the Quest Pro, but video is not stable as you get some strange flickering!
Works fine on the ”Firefox Reality” web browser, so I guess it`s within the Meta Quest Browser that the issue resides 🙂