cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest v54 is starting to roll out for Meta Quest Pro and Meta Quest 2. Thanks everyone for all your feedback!  

Let's use this thread for collecting feedback on v54. Share your impressions and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports along with posting here if you notice anything going wrong. 

Thanks again to everyone testing out PTC and sharing your feedback! We appreciate your help testing out the core functionality of software as we develop!

206 Comments
LuvinLife
Protege

It is - I used the skybox ai website to get various pics.  You can select realistic, scenic, etc. to get different styles.  Simple happies after a few firmware bumps.

VR-JoeF
Protege

!! USE THIS FEATURE WITH EXTREME CAUTION !!

I just loaded a 360 degree image and now my home environment won't load... it starts to load the image, then flashes black, then tries to load, then flashes black. A re-start did not fix it -- possibly a factory reset for me 😠

LuvinLife
Protege

Did you try to shut it down all the way and then restart?  Shutdowns seem to install updates better for me.

There is an image size requirement, but so far I have used pics from the skybox ai site and some that I already had loaded for the 360 Jigsaw game that I got from the flickr site and they work really well. I shutdown again to see if things would change and it didn't. Wondering if it is an image issue....fingers crossed for you that it is easily fixed.

VR-JoeF
Protege

Factory Reset is what it took... sad to say that they're getting easier 😪

jdawg46.1976
Protege

my first factory reset I felt like was a pain in the a$$, but i have been going back and forth between public and PTC so often its just a bit of time. I feel like at this point Im on PTC and all the features I need are working like a champ. I had most issues with the wifi 6e but not sure if going back and forth to PTC helped but I am on PTC and so far all my drops are gone. I feel like Meta is getting ready to compete with the Apple headset. 

Here is another thing, i love the quest pro but feel I will end up buying the apple headset. I hope i dont abandon the quest pro - only one love allowed.

VR-JoeF
Protege

Well, if you fall in love with the Apple... Feel free to send me your Quest Pro 😉

wade.glavine
Honored Guest

Your update has stopped the use of 3 simulators we have developed and had on the shelf for sale to the public. You guys are affect our reputation as developers as well as oculus reputation for being a usable platform for developers 

jdawg46.1976
Protege

Do you mean the "beta" update? public "test" channel? 

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

I got firmware 54.0.0.140. I feel something strange.

whity.jpg

Thumbnails displayed in each category in Explore are so whity. Store's are normal. Menu icons seem whity, too. Super unstable latency (transfer time) bug of H265 Air Link isn't solved. Also, the problem with the smart phone app, when I uploaded an image to google drive, the jpg file was converted to png. Is this an app issue or a google drive issue?

jdawg46.1976
Protege

you have a quest pro or quest 2? sorry i cant tell, i didnt get the update yet

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Quest2. Of course, this is PTC version.

jdawg46.1976
Protege

Im on PTC also, just wanted to see if i should be expecting an update. I am quest pro.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@jdawg46.1976 wrote:

Im on PTC also, just wanted to see if i should be expecting an update. I am quest pro.

I just got another v54ptc update yesterday;

version; v54.0.0.140.344

I'm pretty sure it's same as the current non-pct version.  I still haven't got any confirmation from Meta on this yet though.  All seems to be working fine so far with standalone and PCVR using Air Link.  Can't say I've noticed any significant changes so far.

Alakelele
Expert Protege

The passthrough option is still not being memorized, when we want to use passthrough, we don't want to have to check it all the time. Please bring back the possibility to remember our passthrough setting.
Thanks 

Lordubuntu
Protege

Hi, i have an amd gpu 6950xt last driver version (23.5.1)....with v54 airlink it's totally unstable, no matter the codec nor encoding. It lags a lot.

I have submitted a bug report for the following issue. I just want to raise more awareness to it here because it destroys the fun of playing anything other than standalone games.

Currently on airlink and virtual desktop, there is an issue where there are artifacts that look like bright blue sparks of the edge of my display on the right-hand side for both lenses. I did some digging to make sure the LCD screen inside was in good condition and it is. This was not an issue for me or anyone else until after the v54 update that was pushed out to normal users. I was not a PTC member, but because of what this current update did to my headset I had to reach out here. The following are links displaying many other users experiencing the exact same issue. To me this is a major problem that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Quest 3 is coming, and this is not a good look for meta. I have invested alot into games from the meta quest store and the oculus store and I really want meta to be a top gaming headset because of this. However, if this and other issues become more prevalent, then I will just write off those purchases and move to a different standalone headset platform as they become more available. I'm sure that many other users will do the same as well. However, if it works and does not cause us irritation, then I am sure that meta will be number one. Anyway, here are the links I promised to provide.

Links:

v54, encoder seems better but white pixels in left eye : r/OculusQuest (reddit.com)

Meta Oculus Quest 2 Flashing pixel artifacts & White pixels flash : u/sezzce (reddit.com)

Also, I have attempted a factory reset of the quest 2 and that did not work, which was obvious it would not. Since this is an issue of Quest 2 and Quest pro since the update. Some have even seen this issue in v53, although I did not personally experience it then. 

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Respectfully,

Robert A.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@007xSlayerx007   You can submit all the bug reports you want to mate.  However these never seem to make much difference with the final non-ptc updates imho.

AS1C
Protege

Have the same issue from v53(

john.79
Explorer

@Ryanality 

I am having issues with guardian when i turn my headet on it is saying create your guardian area then when i click to create a new one it is showing my old one and asking me to confirm play area how can an update get this messed up also controllers are taking a while to connect and also when leaving games i get a black screen and cannot do anything i can hear home enviroment and pressing oculus button but have to reboot to be able to continue playing as i cannot get off the black screen.

AS1C
Protege

photo_2023-05-11_16-38-56 (2).jpg

I checked that even when not connected to a PC, these artifacts are still there. You can see them either in the game or when you quickly change virtual environments. And yes, the factory reset did not work, I tried it two times when moving to PTC and back to the release version. So now I wait like a Hachiko for V55 PTC and hope Meta will fix this problem.

ArcAngel115
Protege

I noticed this too.  It happens a lot when exiting software and more so when passthrough home is enabled it seems as well as in game periodically using local software (standalone apps).  The ALXR app I'm using also has a passthrough feature running in the background and that's where I'm seeing it the most .  This is definitely an issue from v53 and up and was not present prior. I was able to go back to v.51 for a while and the issue absolutely went away until the forced update. 

The issue is also mitigated when using ADB to force thr quest 2 into 120hz mode.

This feels like an overloaded decoder.

If they can track down the issue, maybe they can put a switch in experimental features or something that allows enabling or disabling whatever feature or change is actually causing a problem. 

Thanks again.  Please pass this on to the software team.  I've spent weeks testing this which is how I stumbled across the ADB refresh rate workaround.

Alakelele
Expert Protege

@TomCgcmfc Do we ever get feedback on error reports or on this forum, it feels like shouting into the void
@Ryanality 

M0RIATY
Adventurer

Nope...! I've reported loads and never had a reply.!!!

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Alakelele, thanks for reporting! Bug reports put in through the reporting system won't get responses from the team, but there are folks who spend all day sifting through them. Those bug reports don't even record any contact information from the person submitting them. As to those posted on the forums, we're here keeping track of what's shared and making sure it goes up to the team!

Thank you Ryan, this recent bug is just a really unfun one. It is great to know that they are being taken into account. Have a great day/night man!

Thanks for the tip my man. Although I still really do hope that someone looks into the artifacts because they are pretty hard to ignore in game. 

Takumori
Explorer

Been a good few weeks now since this graphical issue has first started to occur due to the new update and still no new patch...

AS1C
Protege

I personally encountered this problem on 05.05.2023, after updating to v53. I submitted a ticket to Meta Support a few days later.
18.05.23 I got the mail from Meta Support: "Our engineers were already aware of this issue, and they are currently working on a fix as we speak.
As of now, we are soliciting your extended patience in regards to this matter. No worries, as once we receive an update from our team, we will let you know in no time".

jdawg46.1976
Protege

i got an update this morning on my quest pro, PTC 

Version 54.0.0.147.344.479709274

So far cant tell all the changed but my wifi has not dropped which sometimes randomly does. Will keep an eye out

M0RIATY
Adventurer

Noticed a problem/bug within the home environment a new home was introduced today with the latest update, what I have noticed is more visible when in tablet mode, if you move your head side to side the text becomes very blurry (sort of like motion lag) it's a lot less noticeable on multi window mode on this new home, I then switched to various other home environment's and started to notice it to a lesser degree ? Now I not sure if it's something to do with the animations having an effect on the whole system as it seems more visible with homes that have more animations than others.   

COYG316
Honored Guest

When should we be getting version 54. Still nothing? 

jdawg46.1976
Protege

v54 on non PTC? is that still not out yet? or do you mean v55? I think it will after June 4, or even as late as June 11th before v55 is on PTC.

COYG316
Honored Guest

Yes I mean V54 as I'm still on V53. 

Ggizzle_s.o.g
Expert Protege

hey turn off and on

Ggizzle_s.o.g
Expert Protege

hey turn off for 10 munite

Alakelele
Expert Protege

Cool, well maybe there's room for improvement then because if we (Power Users) feel that we are not heard or taken into account I wonder how regular users feel.

dMs
Explorer

@Ryanality can you acknowledge that WiFi stability issues in v53 and v54 are known to your devs?

Mike666exe
Explorer

was there some minor update to the v54 ptc?? ive been on the ptc since meta has forced me to be due to v53 bricking my system.

anyway i wanted to report an issue that for no apparent reason virtual desktop was running flawlessly on v54 just 2 days ago with 1-4 of lag on any game with my 1200mbs wifi 6 router. although now simply viewing the desktop on VD moving the mouse takes 999+ ms. 

im aware this is not the VD support but i went to VD and all signs point to meta being meta again... ive tried restarting, reinstalling do i have to seriously factory reset AGAIN?
pcvr looks like dog doo doo with oculus dash, the oculus dash looks like ive had the top of corneas removed even tho my rtx3060 has no problems running anything, still no changes no matter what settings i chose. would you guys just give virtual desktop low level access so quest users can use their **bleep** headset. **bleep** man

LunchAndJosh
Expert Protege

Like the comments said, V54 is giving network stutter issues, most prominent in VD and Airlink. Please fix this in the next update thank you!

VensJem
Honored Guest
I just hate my quest pro now. It is unbearable!

Starting with some 50+ firmware in some applications white pixels sparkling on a dark background

v53
Controllers are literally unusable, turning off every 5 seconds.
Sparkling pixels not fixed.

v54
Controllers fixed. Hooray!
WiFi just doesn't work anymore, with any movement of the head the speed drops to 0.
Sparkling pixels STILL not fixed...

DO SOMETHING!
jdawg46.1976
Protege

im with you on the Wifi. i have gone through 3 different routers to try and get a solid stable connection. they keep releasing "new features" but introduce problems as they do. I think the wifi problems are to do with android 12 and the drivers meta built into the code. I have a new router coming tomorrow and will have it as a stand alone access point instead of trying to get a full on router that runs my whole house. Will use this just for my quest pro. If I stay on 5ghz its a little more bearable, but still has its issues. Wish they would tell us they are working on the wifi stability though. 

VensJem
Honored Guest

I have a separate wifi 6 router specifically for quest, almost no interfirience. I also tried different routers and even 2.4ghz. It does not change anything. I had to roll back the firmware to v53 and now the controllers.... 😫

okeyone
Protege

The new updates " ver 53" bricked my Pro had to replace it. Killed my controllers on my Q2 had to buy new ones. I think going from android 10 to 12 created some issues that are being worked out. I took them off the PTC until it gets a little better. So far all is better. 

markhollis
Expert Protege

someone has stuttering with v54 and airlink?

sibir.lupus
Explorer

Are these reported Wifi issues with the V54 PTC the reason we've yet to see the official V54 update start to roll out? 

g0dmak3r
Protege

Keep it up guys! The last few PTC updates have had issues with HAGS and airlink for me in windows 11. Cannot view desktop when playing a game, stutter, lag, etc. I'm using a 3090. It's fine with it off but may be something to look into since a lot of people use HAGS.

dMs
Explorer

I'm praying that's the case! 

LunchAndJosh
Expert Protege

No, because I have the public  release of V54 (non ptc) and still getting issues 

jdawg46.1976
Protege

Not sure if this applies to you, but if you were on the PTC and then got the public release you may have files that are still buggy. the solution posted in reddit is to factory reset your quest 2 or quest pro and install fresh the public release of v54 and your issues should be gone? hoping i get the ptc v55 soon to test it, but may do the factory reset 

LunchAndJosh
Expert Protege

Already did a factory reset twice, once with PTC, once fresh install without PTC, the issue is still here. Kinda silly that we have to factory reset just to get a problem fixed which shouldn't even be there in the first place... Yeah hope Oculus fixes this in V55!