cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of April 19th, 2021.

Bring Your Desk into VR

• We’ve added the ability to place a virtual desk on your real desk to use while you’re in VR. You can see and use this Desk in the Oculus Home environment.
  • We recommend staying seated while using the Desk.
  • To opt in to this experimental feature, open your universal menu, select Settings, then select Experimental Features. Select Bring Your Desk Into VR to enable your virtual desk.

Pair Your Physical Keyboard with your Quest 2

• We’ve added the ability to pair a Logitech K830 keyboard to your Oculus Quest 2. When you pair your keyboard to your Quest 2, you’ll see a 3D representation of your hands and keyboard within VR for easy text entry and system navigation while in your Home environment.
  • To begin using your K830 keyboard with Quest 2, open your universal menu, select Settings, then select Experimental Features. Select Pair next to Bluetooth Pairing.

Oculus Air Link

• Oculus Air Link allows you to discover and pair your Oculus Quest 2 headset to your Oculus-ready PC over a secure Wi-Fi network.
  • You can opt in to this experimental feature from the Experimental Features section of Settings. Follow the instructions on our support site to set up Oculus Air Link.
  • Note: Air Link is part of v28 but it requires that both your headset and PC be running v28 software. That means we’ll be unlocking Air Link once both Quest and PC v28 releases are rolled out, which will happen soon - but you won’t see Air Link just yet, so stay tuned.

120Hz Support

• 120Hz support is now available on Oculus Quest 2 in an experimental setting. Developers can now ship apps that run at 120Hz, allowing you to experience a higher refresh rate for any app that supports 120Hz when you enable this in Settings.
  • To opt in to this experimental feature, open your universal menu, select Settings, select Experimental Features, then select 120Hz.
  • Keep in mind, it’s up to the developer to provide support for 120Hz. While there aren’t any apps that support 120 Hz just yet, people who turn on this setting will experience 120 Hz performance in apps that choose to support it in the future.
  • This feature may affect battery usage, headset temperature and the visual quality of some system features.

Bug Fixes

• Tracking Improvements
    • Fixed issue where in certain environments, some customers experienced tracking loss.

Please note, the Experimental Features section includes features that are still being developed, so you may encounter anything from minor issues to app crashes.

114 Comments
GB-Olihowden
Honored Guest

Noice!

MelonFelonies
Honored Guest

we **bleep**ing got em gamers!

radd00
Explorer

Unfortunately, this update didn't resolve issues with tracking introduced in V27 😞

Partyarti777
Honored Guest

I have now v28 on PC and Quest2, but no air link 😳

Theres no air link button in the beta tab on the PC and no air link button at the experimental features on the quest 2.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

As stated in the release notes. It's coming.

kevinwarhaft
Adventurer

awesome

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

What about all the other bugs, aside from tracking?

alzahhar3
Explorer

I updated but don't see a Bring Your Desk Into VR option under experimental features. Also I find it odd that you've hyped up Air Link so much but then just decide to delay it for some reason even though a lot of us have V28 on headset and PC, don't see how delaying it till everyone gets both makes sense?

zed85
Explorer

i don't have the option "bring your desk" on the experimental features.. any help?

France_
Honored Guest

I am not seeing the 120hz mode even after updating my Quest 2 to v28 and resetting experimental settings (and rebooting a few times).

pdawg17
Protege

Same

FrunobulaxD
Honored Guest

v28 here too. No new experimental options showing.

J_Shepz
Protege

Updated this morning, took a couple of reboots but got 120hz mode and keyboard tracking to show in experimental features. Both work pretty well. I noticed the passthrough hands when using the K830 don't show up in video recordings and scrolling with the trackpad in browser is an awful experience but typing is very accurate, more so than I thought.

I played Racket Fury at 120hz and while it did feel a bit smoother, it wasn't as noticeable as going from 72hz to 90hz. I'm very interested to see if there will be some 60fps upscaling to hit 120fps for those games that can't quite get to 90fps natively on Quest 2.

Very keen to try Air Link when it's available but will use Virtual Desktop 120hz beta for PCVR for now (yet to try it tho).

NorbertNoBacon
Protege

It literally explains this in the release notes:

• Note: Air Link is part of v28 but it requires that both your headset and PC be running v28 software. That means we’ll be unlocking Air Link once both Quest and PC v28 releases are rolled out, which will happen soon - but you won’t see Air Link just yet, so stay tuned.
tommyboy182
Honored Guest

Same issue here

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer

Awesome work 👍 I got the v28 since this morning. A lot of issues are fixed! Stuttering in home menue, tracking problems, USB bandwidth is normal again. Keyboard overlay with the Logi K830 is very interesting and works good, 120 Hz with Racket Fury a dream! I am so happy with that firmware on my Quest 2!

lensmandave
Superstar

Yep, the Quest is well sorted now. Very pleased to see the USB connection back to 2.3gbps 🙂

sal98
Honored Guest

Same here, what's the deal?

sal98
Honored Guest

It states it's coming with version 28. Well, I have version 28 on pc and quest 2 and not one additional feature.

So then why did version 28 even come out?

ThePixelCowboy
Protege

No virtual desk option for me. The rest are there. 

DC-Wolf
Protege

first roll out. When its rolled out all over the world maybe, then it will be enabled.
I didn't get v28 on my Quest 2 until now
This is what they wrote

Six_Of_One
Protege

The latest update has disabled the microphone in the Big Screen app. I don't know if this affects any other programs. I hope Oculus will work with Big Screen to work this out. 

chert1024VR
Protege

Already got both V28 updates. Looking forward to trying out Oculus Air Link hopefully in the very near future.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I got v28 on both my PC and Q1 earlier today and all's working well; standalone, w/Link, and wireless w/VD.  My official Link cable speed went from 1.2gbps with v27 to 2.1gbps with v28.  However, I cannot honestly say I have noticed any differences because of this.  Actually v27 worked well for me and v28 continues to work well.  Thanks to Link improvements I've now retired my good old Rift cv1 and thanks to the Q1 OLED panels I'm not missing it.  I'm always very happy when updates work and don't brick anything, lol!

Anonymous
Not applicable

No complaints and no issues on my Quest 1

Thanks for the added Quest 2 home environments also .. Very Nice  

Tiger_
Honored Guest

did you get v28 on the quest? I was thinking it not out...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tiger_ 

Yes i got both for the software and the headset at the same time for my Quest 1

I was very surprised as i usually have to wait weeks but not this time ?

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer

Release notes are a lie.

Tiger_
Honored Guest

V28 is rolling out to users without Airlink.

Tiger_
Honored Guest

this v28 is not for Quest. it for Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incorrect

I have an oculus Quest 1

Today i received my V28 PC software update and my headset update.

The update did not give me Airlink ( not expected ) or the ability to import a table ,at least not yet.

But i did get the Quest 2 Environments added to download which look great.

No other issues found but still giving it a thorough test.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. I despair with oculus. Had nothing but problems from day 1. Lived the rift but the quest 2 is nothing but a head ache

Anonymous
Not applicable

Everything fine w/Ouest 2 except GPU-Usage in Oculus Home.
Goes down to round about 90%, coming from 100% in v27 though.

Air Link not available as expected...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay... Headset updates to Runtime: 28.0.0.221.359.286257763 (yesterday: 284530010).

Air Link is available now, but it did't work "good"... better: is not usable!

How should I describe this?

It feels like an "extreme latency mode" (count seconds, not mili...)

It's nearly impossible to set the bitrate in the Desktop-App Home... after minutes I mangaged a change from Dynamic to fixed and from 10Mbps to 190Mps (wich falls back to 100Mbps when reconnected) but without any change in latency... maybe in visuals. Even the sound stutters and it does not matter which resolution setting I'll tried (90Hz/72Hz doesnt matter). OVR Metrics shows round about 60fps (and less), the visuals "stutter" (can't decribe this... move your head, some parts of visuals go black an come back... everything last seconds), tracking of controller nearly - point-and-click - is nearly impossible.

Of Course I'll have an PC and Router which meets the requirements.

Air Link Support (known issues for example) can't help:
https://support.oculus.com/airlink

Maybe it is an specific problem I have or this feature is really, really alpha.

And of course... Virtual Desktop Mobile works like a charme with great visuals and round about 30ms latency.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Anonymous  What are your PC specs mate?  Both Link and wireless needs a pretty good PC, esp. a good gpu.  The new rtx3000 series have the fastest encoders and seem to work best.  I can say that my new rtx3090 rocks!  Cost me a small fortune though, lol!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TomCgcmfc My Specs?

It's an 5900X (12cores) w/64GB, PCIe 4x NVME and RTX2080

OK, it's not a 3090, but... should be enough.

"small fortune"? 😝

But when I look at your sig... you don't have a Quest2 and so no Air Link, correct?

An "inVR" latency meter like VDM has, would be nice... it would show, where the problem is.

To be clear: VDM = 30ms, Air Link ~ 2000ms (unusable)

PC is wired to Frtiz!Box 6591, ~5m away, 5GHz/866Mbps

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Anonymous Ya, I only have a Q1 but I do have a Q2 on order.  Your specs seem fine, but your gpu might be a bit on the weak side for the best wireless pcvr.  I don't know anything about your router.  Sounds like it works fine with VD though so in theory it should work fine with Air Link.

Like you, my wireless w/VD works great.  I hope some of Air Link's early growing pains are over by the time I get my new Q2.  Sorry but the only thing I can suggest is to contact Oculus Support.  Good luck mate and cheers.

chert1024VR
Protege

What particular version of the PC app does Air Link appear on the Beta section? My PC app is already V.28 (28.0.0.222.469) but I still don't have the option for Air Link. My Quest 2 though already has Air Link in its Experimental settings.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Had the same problem.

I hit HELP and navigated to Air Link instructions and downloaded the update there.

It now has Air Link in the beta tab and for me better than Virtual Desktop.

Not even directly connected to the router.

Good luck 🙂 

chert1024VR
Protege

Already tried Oculus Air Link. It works well. And yeah, I agree that it does seem to work better than Virtual Desktop.

Thank you Oculus for this feature. Now, I can truly say that I'm really enjoying my Quest 2. 🙂

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@LameDuckWarrior  If you say you are getting good wireless without your PC wired to your router you have not seen anything yet!  When your wire it to your PC you will notice a huge improvement.

Fangzhou
Adventurer

I have tried Airlink, it is the worst VR experience that I had ever. Latency larger than 3 second, just not usable at all. 

My PC is using RTX3080, 1Gbps wired linked to Asus TUF-AX3000 router, Quest 2 connected to router using WiFi 6 5Ghz connection. Same spec works well with Virtual Desktop or wired Oculus Link. I really wonder how do you guys make the Airlink usable (and even some people says it's better than VD). 

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Absolutely!

Unfortunately for me the router is downstairs in the office.

It's this or nothing for me however, after pairing up with AirLink fully expecting nothing more than proof of concept, everything was crystal clear and butter smooth!

Truly impressed over here!

chert1024VR
Protege

Weird. I have a much less powerful GPU and router compared to you. I'm playing Project Wingman, Star Wars Squadrons, ACC and Half-life: Alyx with Oculus Air Link and everything is working well. My Netgear AC router is about 3 feet away from my Q2 headset  and on top of my wired PC which sits on my desk. I'm not noticing any appreciable latency coming anywhere close to yours.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

I would try the pc app repair or re-download here (without uninstalling) https://www.oculus.com/rift/setup/

It's how I got Air Link to become available at all and working flawlessly with 2070 I7 and pc isn't even connected directly to router.

Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe a driver issue?
Would it be possible to mention OS (which Win10 Version), Graphics-Card and driver version?

Really would appreciate that!

Mine ist: Win10 x64 20H2, RTX 2080, nVidia 460.97 - not working!

Thank you!

P.S.: Desktop-App Home is fixed to 60fps... strange.

P.P.S.: I've got it now!

In ODT (the Oculus Debug Tool) I've set the "encode bitrate" to 300Mbps - that don't work 😞
Done that for Link w/ Oculus Link cable... set that back to "0" (default) and it works!

SideFact: with v28 Oculus set the "encode resolution witdh" back to "0".

- Default Air Link HMD resolution: 1440x1536 (i.e. 2880x1538)

- Tuned Air Link HMD resolution: 1840x1920 (i.e. 3680x1920) - "encode resolution witdh" @ 3664

@People with "work's better as VDM"...

That's the reason, very low resolution and really not comparable, sorry.

chert1024VR
Protege

Actually, I set the Oculus PC app to a refresh rate of 90hz and a render resolution of 1.7x (5408 x 2736) when using Air Link. I force 45fps and ASW via the Debug Tool. I compared the IQ of both Oculus USB Link and Oculus Air Link on the PCVR games I play and AFAIK, I see no appreciable difference between the two.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Sorry @LameDuckWarrior but without your PC ethernet wired to your router you will get a lot of latency.  Might look ok to you (esp. if you do not know any better) but for anyone else using fast action games it will be a terrible result.  Both Virtual Desktop and the Oculus Air Link Blog recommends this so maybe it's important, lol!

PCVR wireless with either Oculus Air Link or Virtual Desktop is going to be a very poor experience if you do not have the proper router/wifi setup and/or a potato PC imho.   At least Air Link w/Q2 is free to try.  Just don't complain about it if it does not meet your expectations due to a poor setup.  Not that this is going to help curb newbies reporting me-too problems, lol!

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

There it is. Good job!

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Well then. I'll just put that condescension in this little box here by my chair lmao.

It's perfectly fine for my experience and that's OK. Frankly, that's on par with Link Cable in my humble blissfully ignorant experience. 

Peace 😎