cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of November 1st, 2021.

Guardian

• With this release we’re introducing Space Sense to Guardian. Space Sense allows you to see things like people and pets entering your Play Space when using Roomscale Guardian. To enable Space Sense, navigate your Settings > Experimental features. Learn more about Guardian and Space Sense.
    • Please note this feature is only available on Quest 2 headsets.
    • Space Sense is not available for Stationary Guardian.
  • In addition to Space Sense, we’re currently testing additional guardian features as part of this release. Keep in mind that these features are still in development and won’t be seen by all users.
  • We’ve improved notifications when you enter a low-light situation and are at risk of losing tracking.

Horizon Home

• We’re introducing a new personal workspace environment in Horizon Home today, so you can trade out that snowy mountain lodge for something a bit more professional if you’re sitting down to get some work done.

2D Apps for Multitasking

• We’re introducing 2D apps to the Oculus Store. The first apps available in the Store are Facebook, Instagram, Smartsheet, and Spike. More apps will follow soon. Developers can get started building and testing PWAs today and we’ll share more about when you can submit to App Lab soon.
  • 2D apps take advantage of Quest’s powerful multitasking features. You can turn on the latest multitasking features by enabling “Multitasking” in the Experimental section of the Settings app.

Android Phone Notifications

Standby Battery Life

• We’ve adjusted battery parameters to increase the standby life on Quest and Quest 2 headsets.

Link and Air Link

• We’ve enabled secure pairing for Air Link to enhance security and improve your experience for Air Link. Users who have V34 on both Quest and PC will experience a new and improved pairing flow for launching into Air Link.
  • For best performance on Link and Air Link, please use Windows 10. Windows 11 is not yet supported with our Oculus PC software.

Voice Commands

• You can now do more with Voice Commands. With this release, you can now ask about the weather, enable or disable the Oculus Move tracker during your next workout, and other general questions. You can also use Voice Commands to control your media and open your settings. Learn more about supported Voice Commands.
  • Example commands include:
    • Weather: “What’s the weather like today?”, “What’s the weather for tomorrow?”
    • Media Control: “Pause”, “Resume”, “Next”, “Go back”
    • Oculus Move: “Show activity tracker”, “Hide calorie tracker”
    • General Questions: “What is ten to the power of forty three?”, “What is 20 Celsius in Fahrenheit?”, “How many calories in three eggs?”

Public Test Channel (PTC)

• Quest Public Test Channel (PTC) is an early access program for Oculus Quest software releases. By signing up, you can get early access to the unreleased software version ahead of the public release.
  • See here to learn more about how to sign up for PTC.

Fixes

• Fixed an issue where the progress bar was showing incorrect information when downloading a game or app.
64 Comments
LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Don't tell your community they should stay on Windows 10 after the release of the new OS.

Steve Jobs once told his customer base to put duct tape on their brand new $1500 phones.

Don't be that guy.

julienkay
Adventurer

The secure pairing for Air Link link doesn't seem to work for me.

EDIT: Documentation pages are online now.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the flag! I've updated the link to a better one.

CactusCowboy
Adventurer
  • For best performance on Link and Air Link, please use Windows 10. Windows 11 is not yet supported with our Oculus PC software.

The hell are you guys doing? It's more than one month after Win 11 release. Not even mention all the time with the public insider preview you could have been testet this with. How is this possible for a software/hardware company that big as Facebook/Meta? Don't you have an internal ticketing system for these dramatic upcoming environment changes? Maybe spending less time making CGI Videos for Connect and rather work on actual issues would bring you guys closer to the "metaverse".

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Lots of good stuff there! The link to learn more about PTC doesn't seem to work, though (It takes me to a "Whoops, looks like you're lost" page).

This is the correct link.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Clearly I'm having a bad link day. I guess the vanity link isn't live yet. I've swapped to the direct one.

Fang333333
Protege

Meanwhile the Rift S I bought 2 years ago, and use for flight training, won't even install the software.

I have 0 choice to go back to Windows 10. I have no idea how a company can continue to sell their products on Amazon, knowing full well the Hardware isn't compatible for the current OS.

This was my first Oculus purchase. I was so happy before Facebook took over. How can I EVER trust your products again? I dropped $400 for hardware that became "obsolete" and unused in under 2 years.

I invested an entire computer system for this setup, and now it just sits. I should have gotten the HTC.

Oculus... Err. Meta, CLEARLY does not understand how much they are destroying their new brand, before it even launches. 

Every month that my Oculus Rift S goes unused, is another month I am behind. No one cares. Glad Quest users got a fancy update. I'll NEVER buy Oculus again. Never. And I spread the word everyday. I literally stopped my friend from buying a new Quest for his daughter. They were excited by my gameplay streams, but when I told them it no longer works, they went to a different brand.

Shame on Oculus and/or Meta

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

I'm in the very same boat and it seems to be getting larger.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey guys, the team is hard at work on getting Windows 11 certified, but there's a lot that goes into the process. They also have to work with the updated drivers for video cards that are pushed out for the new OS. Even after the software for the headsets is ready, it's even possible individual games can lag behind. I really appreciate your patience on this and I'm looking forward to letting you all know it's ready to go!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I hope that v34 does not screw up the X Plane 11 shutdown again (need to use win10 task manager to kill it).  This was fixed ages ago.  I tried v34ptc a couple of weeks ago and this shutdown problem happened again.  I reported it to Oculus support so maybe it will be fixed with v34 final (fingers crossed).

Vittorrio
Honored Guest

"it's even possible individual games can lag behind"

Very true. I bought Lone Echo 2 and the frame drops were awful, to the point I would get the egg timer every other minute. Completely unplayable. I spent hours trying to correct this as I thought it was my PC having issues, only to find out later that others were having the same issues. I tried to get a refund but was denied.

I will not be buying any other software until Windows 11 is fully supported. A warning that it wouldn't be supported (for the time being) would have been helpful

Lookin4D
Honored Guest

So that's why It took so long for my game to download. I'm sure you guys knew ahead of time about the OS update, now this expensive piece of tech just sits and waits.......This is one of the reason I left Facebook years ago, can't/won't keep up to date. Think I'm going a different setup next time.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

If you upgraded to win11 from win10 you have up to 10 days to roll it back.  After that you would need to do a clean reinstall.  Just saying.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a bit surprised... did receive a small v33 update at 28th Okt (no words on changes of course) and now I found this topic and suddenly there is v34 on my Q2 (the desktop app didn't find anything newer than v33, so I have to ba patient ;-).  Glad, I looked to the forums, because at the official Oculus Release Notes page, there was no info about it... just now there is.

Anyway, v34 FW works well with v33 Desktop-App - without "secure pairing" feature of course 😉

Nothing else changed so far... except there is another home "Oculus Studio".

(maybe it was there before, but now I've noticed ist)

Good to see, that the development goes further after round about 1,5 months!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

OK, I just got V34 on my Q2 (still on v33 with Oculus PC app).  Everything in Quest home works fine.  Might be placebo but I think images and text look a little sharper.  Also, scrolling seems a little smoother.  I like that there now is a Browser button on the bottom dashboard.  Kinda handy.

The only bug I've found so far with Link or Air Link is that if you use the double-tap to show your passthrough you get a very weird distant scaling, like thing are a long way away and squashed.  Funny because using stationary if I move my headset to the boundary it goes into passthrough and everything look fine, but when I move further outside this it snaps back to the off-scale view like double-tap.  The double-tap passthrough in the Quest home works fine.

Maybe the double-tap passthrough bug with Link and Air Link will be fixed when my PC app gets v34.  Who knows? 

Edit; tried opting into the latest PTC beta v35 and got the same results.  I did not see any difference so I just opted out of the v35ptc and it too me back to v33.  Not sure where PC app V34 is?  Actually the PTC  what's new panel says v34, lol!

Otherwise, everything seems to work fine for me so far.  Cheers to Oculus, soon to be Meta, lol! 

Genericat
Expert Protege

Where can I find a list of all voice commands?

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

Here is a solution. Launch the Oculus Debug Tool. Under the Service tab select Toggle console window visibility. The Oculus service will restart and the Console window will appear. When you go to use Link, AirLink or Virtual Desktop, make sure that the Console is the active window. Your stuttering will disappear as long as that window has focus.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

I've got v34 on my desktop, but not on my Quest or Quest 2! Go figure!

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

Copying my previous response, so you get notified.
Here is a solution. Launch the Oculus Debug Tool. Under the Service tab select Toggle console window visibility. The Oculus service will restart and the Console window will appear. When you go to use Link, AirLink or Virtual Desktop, make sure that the Console is the active window. Your stuttering will disappear as long as that window has focus.

teamstp
Protege

They also have to work with the updated drivers for video cards that are pushed out for the new OS

Joke is on you. The problem existed with the stock drivers from the insider preview build. (at least Nvidia, can't speak for AMD) 

Genericat
Expert Protege

On a more positive note, looking forward to your AR Cactus experiences on Quest store (hopefully)

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I just turned on my Quest 2, and I was surprised to find that I have v34 already. (It usually takes longer, but I'm not complaining!) Space Sense is pretty neat, but not great for seated use, as I can always see my legs outlined in pink. I'll just continue to use Stationary Guardian for seated use, which eliminates that issue.

Unfortunately, this update seems to have removed Stationary Guardian 2.0, which was introduced in v25 and eliminated the visible grid for Stationary Guardian (it ignored your controllers/hands, and simply faded to a passthrough view if your headset crossed the border). I've been using that a lot, and found it to be a big improvement over the older version (I don't need to see the grid if I'm not moving around). As soon as I booted up with v34, I was seeing the grid of my Stationary Guardian whenever I moved my controllers, and I don't see anything in the Settings menu to get back to an invisible stationary grid.

Edit: I've seen someone mention on Reddit that while setting up a Stationary Guardian, they got a notification that Passthrough Boundary was now the default setting rather than experimental. I definitely didn't see that, but maybe it means that Stationary Guardian 2.0 was pulled back when it went from experimental to default, and it will roll back out over time like some features do. I hope so, because seeing the grid all the time makes Stationary Guardian much less pleasant to use.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Oculus Link fixed yet?

OEJ
Honored Guest

I'm pretty bummed out I accepted Microsoft's invite to upgrade to Windows 11. Looking forward to Oculus/11 compatibility.

Anonymous
Not applicable

one month ago when I ask why my link delay in windows 11 they even doesn't tell me "Windows 11 is not yet supported"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@nalex66 Reset/Forget your guardian history and after a restart setup your stationary again.  This gives me the fade into passthrough without gridlines you want, and only when the headset approaches the boundary, not the controllers.

It's often a good idea to forget the guardian history, sometimes also Experimental settings as well after v.... updates.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Thanks, Tom. I tried that, but my stationary Guardian still shows the grid. I think it's just a slow feature rollout thing. I was going to try the Quest PTC to see if that got it back, but I'm not getting the option in my phone app yet.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Scott-Jon, just jumping in here to share this link with you that will show even more of the voice commands that you can try out!

xeno3d
Adventurer

I don't even have a a PTC toggle in my mobile app

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I opted into the ptc beta on my oculus desktop app today and it took me from v33 final to v35 ptc.  I did not notice any differences with Link or Air Link. My Q2 is on v34. The v35 ptc 'what's new' panel actually says v34 but the settings general at bottom says it's v35.  I did notice a new paring procedure with Air Link.  This required you to confirm the pairing 6 digit code that shows up on your PC app is correct and you need to confirm this by viewing it on your Desktop app.  Seemed to work ok, just a bit confusing.

I'm not really sure if I should have stayed with v35 ptc. I opted out of beta, and it took me back to v33. I also ran a PC app Repair and that also ended up with v33. I might just leave it this way for now and wait for v33 to be properly updated to v34 (or maybe Oculus will skip this and go to v35, who knows?). It would be good to hear from Oculus on what's best to do here imho.

BTW, v35 ptc did not fix the Link/Air Link stationary passthough bug but at least it did shutdown X Plane 11 ok.  The previous v34 ptc I tried a couple of weeks ago did not shut it down properly and I needed to use task manager to kill it.  I reported this so it looks like Oculus fixed this in now.

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer

So my FB accounted oculus software updates to v34.

I log out and then log back in to the same oculus software but with my oculus account.

It updates to v33?From v34!

Is this where FB splits from oculus ?

BeatrizS_LFVR
Honored Guest

When will the keyboard be fixed? We have half of our release apps broke because users can't use the keyboard.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Unity-VR-Development/Keyboard-Overlay-broken-with-v33-update/td-p/885...

Anonymous
Not applicable

What's up with you, guys?

The rollut of new releases is device- (Quest) and user- (Desktop-App) specific.

Also it did'd folow a fixed order, so it comes earlier or later... for me up to 14 days after release.

There ist nothing you can do to "force" it, or somewhat - so keep calm and wait.

The previous version is v33, the actual release is v34 (and comes until mid november), the PTC logic wise v35.

Login to PTC for Quest is limited, so if there is no option, you couldn't get in because it's full.

Try later and have luck, if there are enough people leaving the PTC for Quest.

Thank's for reading.

vfragos
Protege

Please anyone kind enough to help me on this. I had an RTX 2080 and a 2700X cpu. Now i have a RTX 3080TI and a 5900X and the oculus software still suggest the same resolution for Oculus link, 72hz and 1X 3616X1840. What is the correct recommended resolution for the RTX 3080TI can't be the same. Thanks everyone in advance.

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer

I get downgraded on pc to v33 from v34 when I use my oculus account to log in.

Upgrade to v34 from v33 when using FB account.

oculus account obviously much older than the FB one.

so as an oculus user I'm not allowed v34 yet to the point I'm downgraded when the software is already at v34?

non of the headsets see v34 yet................

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I run Link at 1.7 (5408x2736) and 90 Hz with my RTX 3080 Ti. I would recommend cranking it up to see how it performs. The recommended settings may be based on other factors than just your GPU, but you’re free to play with the settings to find what works best for you.

vfragos
Protege

Thank you! What are the recommended settings on your oculus app? My cpu is also top of the line.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

My recommended settings are the same as yours. I don't think they were any different when I had a GTX 1080, either. I wouldn't worry too much about the "recommendation" though; it seems to be just a safe base level that's pretty well guaranteed to work on any VR-capable PC. If you've got the hardware, you should certainly feel comfortable cranking those settings up. You can always back them down a bit if you run into performance problems.

DaGirluLuv
Protege

You forgot to mention the android notifications don't work yet as the option to set up isn't in the oculus app under headset yet. 

Redrayge
Explorer

Especially as for some of us Windows 11 installed automatically with the latest windows update!

I thought I had left the windows insider program but obviously Microsoft didn't think to tell me I hadn't!

VR2018FR
Expert Protege

Today i just discovered that v34  prohibits me to record  the sound of  the game   with geforce experience.

attempting to  fix the problem with opening the miror  view not in full screen and having  both  view open  at the same time it did not  change anything,  5 or 6 times  i had to recalibrate the guardian, now  that i have tryed testing  recording using revive or a game on steam  it works fine ( game's sound and voice) and now THIS :  it's impossible to use the link connection, the quest 2 keeps straying in mobile use ! thanks for  v34  update !!!!! 😡

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

All seems to continue to work fine with my Q2/rtx3090 with both Link and Air Link.  My Q2 is on v34 and I got an additional small v34 update  but did not notice any difference. 

I opted into the Oculus desktop pc app to v35 ptc yesterday and this seems to work fine.  Tracking seems a little better.  I did need to do the secure Air Link pairing which just asked you to confirm 6x numbers shown on your Q2 screen with those shown on your PC desktop app.  This made it necessary to be next to your PC monitor so you can confirm this on your PC using your PC mouse.  I would have thought that once paired, you would not need to do this again but I got caught starting up Air Link in my adjacent lounge room and it asked me to pair it again which meant I needed to move back to my PC room to do this.  So, a bit of a pita.  One thing I noticed with v35ptc is that if you have already enabled Air Link on your Q2 experimental, you don't seem to need to toggle this on with your desktop app settings/beta tab.  It now does not seem to make any difference whether Air Link on the beta tab is on/off.

Overall, everything is working great with my Q2/rtx3090 right now and I'm pretty happy with the results I'm getting with Air Link.  I have not found any problems with any apps from the Oculus, Steam, and VivePort stores.

debevick
Explorer

I agree that the pairing confirmation is going to be a crutch. having to go back to the PC every time it request to pair.

Is anyone else seeing the same PC twice in their pairing window on quest? I have an MSI and a MSI1. Only the MSI will pair.

That's good news about the airlink button on the desktop app in upcoming v35. Its a pita having to go back to the pc take off headset and re-click that button every time a res change is made.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got v34 Desktop-App today... jeehaaa 😉

(a little more than a week, but as expected)

@TomCgcmfc I've done the pairing for AirLink only once... afterwards it didn't want me to repeat that procedure. Between Desktop-App sessions all services will be stopped and the headset (Q2) is never shutdown completely... only standby. So what is different to your usage? Mybe ist's a matter of the PTC-version? I'm on retail versions... Q2-Firmware and Desktop-App, both v34.

@MystaMagoo Already explained that some posts ago... Desktop-App is user-specific for rollout, so the provided version is connected to the user, not the PC. But there is a quick workaround - change to PTC/Beta for  both user and you are done... forever.

@vfragos Be sure to set the "Encode Resolution Width" under "Oculus Link" per "Oculus Debug Tool" (short ODT) to 3664 for Quest2. This will raise the native resolution on the device for Link. You'll find that tool unter "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe" (if that's the place where Oculus was installed). Also you may set the "Disortion Curative" to "Low". You'll see the difference 😉

The "recommended" resolution in the desktop ist the "safe point" for most hardware... the higest resolution with 72Hz, which goes down, the higher you set the refresh rate. Keep in mind, that redering in 90Hz means a constant 90 Frames in the VR-App at the desired resolution... for my RTX2080 90Hz@5408x2736 (as nalex66 wrote) would be much to high...  3840x2160 = 4k, so 5408x2736 nearly doubles that (+80%!). Also for a RTX3080ti a resolution of 2x4k@90Hz ist much to high for HLA (as an extreme example).

But you are free to test out your rig, of course...

panthercz
Explorer

Notification from Android phone still missing...

Phone: Samsung S10e (Android 11)

Oculus App: 136.0.0.10.115

Quest version: 35.0.0.73.341

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Missing here as well.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks! @panthercz can you make sure you put in a bug report, ideally with logs? Since you're running the PTC for v35 it'd be really great for them to get those logs.

panthercz
Explorer

Sent via Oculus Quest feedback.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Anonymous  Thanks mate.  Today I opted out of oculus pc desktop app v35ptc and ended up on v34 (ended up still on v33 when I tried this a few days ago).  All seemed to work ok Except the good old  X Plane 11 shutdown bug reared its head again and I needed to use win10 Task Manager to kill it.  I had put in a bug report w/logs on this when v34 was still PTC but this did not go anywhere, and the fix back then was just to go back to v33 final.

Anyway, I opted back into the Oculus PC app PTC which then took me back to v35PTC again and X Plane shutdown properly.  Also, I did not get any Air Link Pairing requests.  Maybe it just remembers these or maybe it only needs to do this if you go back and forth from Link/Air Link?  I'll try this later today and report back.

One thing I noticed in task manager was that Oculus Dash service has changed its priority from Normal to High.  I'm not sure why Oculus did this (for both v34 and v35ptc btw) but maybe there is a good reason for this.  I did try temporarily lowering the Dash priority to Normal but this did not seem to make any difference with either version and the XP11 shutdown bug was still there with v34, but not v35ptc.  Anyway, I'll just leave my Oculus pc desktop app on v35ptc for now.  Cheers.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

One thing has been really bugging me with the v34 update; when I start up my headset, and it wants me to create or confirm a Guardian, it only gives me a few seconds, and if I haven't clicked anything (like Confirm or Create Guardian), the headset quickly shuts down again. It never had this behaviour before v34--I used to have time to wait and see if it would remember my previous Guardian (which would occasionally take a few seconds of looking around the room). It even sometimes shuts down when I'm in the middle of setting my floor height. I know they made some changes to conserve battery life, but if this is a part of that, it's a bit overkill. I tried extending the automatic shutdown time from 15 seconds to 1 minute, but this pre-Guardian behaviour doesn't seem to be impacted by that setting. Has anyone else noticed this?

(I'm also annoyed about the missing gridless passthrough boundary for Stationary Guardian, which still hasn't come back.)

Edit: I joined the Quest PTC, and can confirm the that with v35, my headset is no longer shutting down a few seconds after starting up.

Edit 2: I spoke too soon. The abrupt shutdowns right after startup are still happening.