cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of January 17th, 2022.

App Library

• Oculus first party apps are no longer pinned to the top of your App Library. Instead, you can control the order of your apps through your App Library’s sort + filter settings.

Link Sharpening+

• If it looks like your view in VR with Link is a little bit clearer, you’re right. We’ve improved the Link Sharpening algorithm for better visual clarity.

Stationary Guardian

• Stationary Guardian now uses Passthrough. When you move toward the edge of your Stationary Guardian, you won’t see the boundary outlines. Instead, Passthrough will fade in to show your real-life surroundings.

Horizon Home

• To help you explore your Horizon Home, you can now teleport to different designated areas in your Home environment.
    • Simply hide the Universal Menu by pressing the Oculus button, and press your controller thumbstick forward to see a set of potential hotspots. Then aim at one of the hotspots and release the thumbstick to teleport.
    • With the Universal Menu hidden, you can also press the thumbstick left or right to rotate in place.

Diagonal Resize

• To better control your VR workspace, you can now resize your app windows to different heights and widths. Initially, this will be supported in Browser, Oculus TV, and Files as well as some 2D multitasking apps currently available on Quest.

Display Bar

• To provide more flexibility in how 2D apps are displayed, you can now change the distance, scale, and rotation of your 2D app panels by using the Display Bar to switch between Tablet and Desktop modes.
    • To switch between panel types select and hold the Display Bar under the center panel, then drag the bar up or down.
    • We’re also making Browser tabs a bit smarter as part of this update. When you move between Desktop and Tablet modes, your Browser tabs will now consolidate into a single window to help keep your workspace neat and organized.

Tracked Keyboard Selection

• In v28, we made it possible to not just pair but see Logitech’s K830 keyboard in VR. Now we’re also adding support for the Apple Magic Keyboard on Quest 2.
  • You can pair your Apple Magic Keyboard with your headset under the Experimental Features panel in Settings. You’ll also need to enable hand tracking (if you haven’t already) which can be done under the Hands and Controllers settings menu.

Share to Headset

• If you’ve ever been browsing a made-for-VR art gallery on your phone and wished for a more immersive experience, we have you covered. In our latest sharing enhancement you’ll now be able to send a link directly from your phone to your Quest via the Oculus App, making that 3D view actually feel like you’re there.
    • To do this, first make sure your headset is turned on and Bluetooth is enabled on your phone. Then, open a website on your phone, click Share, choose the Oculus App → Open Now, select your headset, and it’ll automatically open in Browser when you put your headset on.
      • Please note: Currently this is only available on Android but will be coming to iOS soon.

Improved Quick Actions Menu

• Accomplish the basics quicker without needing controllers. You can now use a pinch gesture with your hands to bring up a quick action menu. This allows you to quickly do things like take a screenshot, activate voice commands and more.
    • To bring up the quick action menu, position your palm in front of your face and pinch with your thumb and index finger.

Redesigned Explore Page

• We’ve redesigned your Explore page to make it easier to find the experiences that you care about. To do this, we’ve made the following updates:
    • Adding cards that make it easier to find your friends.
    • Updating sections so you can discover the games, apps, and content that you care about.

Controller Settings

• We’re adding the ability to adjust your Touch controller settings not only to give power users more options, but also to improve accessibility and address issues that may arise with wear and tear.
    • The most recent setting addition for v37 is the ability to adjust the thumbstick center dead zone, as well as the thumbstick range. You can make these adjustments from the Experimental Settings section within the settings panel.
198 Comments
AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Are the software folks also working double overtime on the encoder issues and Windows 11 support?

nnnya
Honored Guest

I installed v37, but couldn't teleport in home environment ...

Hazedestruction
Explorer

So what you are saying is that you guys new the issues v37 had and still released it anyway regardless of caring if it breaks people's quests 2s? Some of us can't afford a new one if the development screws up the lack of testing shows and this shows the lack of care to us customers you guys don't care if we get screwed

Test every aspect of the system before releasing an update with billions behinds fbs name can't even test properly come on now 

XDeathReconX
Protege

I've had the update for a week, still haven't seen a single one of these features... Why do you guys do updates like this. If you guys aren't ready to push it these features why even have us update?

Edit: looks like the only feature I got was the most minimal, the thumbstick calibration. "Woooo". 

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, we see that you're having troubles teleporting in your Oculus home environment. We know this could be dampening your Oculus experience. Have you tried attempted any troubleshooting steps? We'd recommend that you follow the steps we'll input below, this should change the outcome of not being able to teleport in your home environment. 

• Restart Oculus Home
  • Restart the PC 
  • Repair Oculus Home
  • Manually re-install Oculus Home if unresolved

If after attempting these troubleshooting steps, and you're still having these issues. Please click here https://ocul.us/OculusCommunitySupport or on our name to get to our profile page, then click "Send a Message" to privately contact us. Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message. That way, we can gather some more information from you. We're going to get this resolved, we're here to help. 

Prophett
Protege

I believe that this is actually referencing the Quest home environment, not Oculus Home on the PC.  The update says:

Horizon Home

• To help you explore your Horizon Home, you can now teleport to different designated areas in your Home environment.
    • Simply hide the Universal Menu by pressing the Oculus button, and press your controller thumbstick forward to see a set of potential hotspots. Then aim at one of the hotspots and release the thumbstick to teleport.
    • With the Universal Menu hidden, you can also press the thumbstick left or right to rotate in place.

This does not seem to be working for anyone however.

nnnya
Honored Guest

Thanks for the clarification.  And it's good (?) to hear that I'm not the only one who couldn't teleport in Quest home in v37.  I hope they fix the problem soon.

Prophett
Protege

No, TY. I came here hoping that someone had raised the question and that there was some clarifying response from Oculus or the community.  Seems like the blurriness issues have been getting the lion's share of the attention though.  The home teleport is the unequivocally the key feature of v37 for me, so I'd really like some clarification on why it's not working.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Sounds like Oculus typical random rollout of new features. You'll get the new feature somewhere between now and never. Meanwhile Oculus "support" will give you detailed instructions on how to reboot your device. 

Captain.Luds
Expert Protege

You don't really believe that, do you? Selectively SOMETHING goes wrong when everything else works as intended? I think you are shouting up the wrong tree here mate.

Interesting question though after you simply dismissed people in the past stating this issue is present. What changed your mind? Listening helps I take it?!

Look don't get me wrong here, I know you are trying to help, but the last thing people need is trying to fix it FOR Oculus. The vendor should a) test their products better (in that case software/firmware) and b) should provide WORKING steps to resolve the issue and not hide behind the next update without giving any guarantees. This is stuff, that eliminates providers as soon as competition arrives on the scene. Just saying. 

Because I am desperate to get the unit back inbto working order I shall try your suggestion. Should it fail it will at least be ready to be sold. I am not willing to put up with this kinda nonsense. This will happen again unless there is corrective action as I mentioned in a previous post. All we get from Oculus is 'crickets'.

NorbertNoBacon
Protege

I'm getting irritated just reading these issues you guys are posting. I'm still on v35 (luckily) and in no rush to update with these horrible bugs (chromatic aberration!!). But of course, unlike most companies, they FORCE update firmware, so there's not choice unless you're offline. I've never seen this done on any device. The user should be in total control of this at all times. The fact they have a PTC and still choose to ignore critical feedback and release it anyway speaks volumes. Why is this update STILL being rolled out!?! Why is there no manual update, rollback or delay feature on firmware? Why can't I manually trigger the cloud backups. Why are updates released and then features rolled out whenever. All you get are responses from support who are clearly just reading from a script with little to no technical knowledge on the product they support. It's absolutely appalling.  @Ryanality 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I just had another update, to 37.0.0.147... It seems like maybe this is a fix for the chromatic aberration problem. I could see a slight colour fringe on white text with the previous version (37.0.0.135...), but now the edges look perfectly clean.

Still don't have the new v37 features (teleporting in Horizon Home and controller dead zone adjustment).

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

It was auto update? or you press update button?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@nalex66  I also got this 37.0.0.147... update today (selected it from the Q2 settings/system menu).  I cannot see any significant differences but I was not getting any blurring or chromatic aberration with the previous update.  I still have not seen most of the new v37 features.

Edit#2;  OK, I found out what the Problem I had with Air Link was.  My Ethernet connection speed had dropped from 1000Mbps to 100Mbps.  I restarted my 1gig Router and re-seated my Ethernet cable connections.  This took me back to 1000Mbps (1gig) and now all's well with Air Link (thank goodness).  I also tried Link and at 500mbps ODT bitrate it looks very good, better than ever imho.  Now much better clarity of distant objects than with AL at 200mbps dynamic.  Still not enough to make me want to forgo the freedom of wireless though.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I’ll have to pop into AirLink and see how it is. I’ve been mostly using stand-alone lately. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

@tanubon wrote:

It was auto update? or you press update button?

I went to use my headset at lunchtime and found that the battery was dead. So, auto-update some time in the past 24 hours, and then the headset stayed on (due to my lens protector) until the battery ran down.

kong4ever
Protege

When is the patch for Oculus Move going to roll out? 

finder1973
Protege

I updated to v37.0.147, CA is down, but anti-aliasing is still missing. On the borders of objects ladders! Return, as it was in version 35! In version 35, I could read the text normally, the edges of the characters were clear, now they are blurry.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tom Today I got the features "diagonal resize" and "display bar" today after restarting the device ("controller settings" or "thumbstick deadzone" was there from beginning with v37). And if I understood the support correctly (serveral posts before), they implement "teleporting" at the PC Desktop App "Home Environment"... not within the Quest Home environment... at PC Desktop App there is an option to "teleport" as an alternative to strafe, but i didn't know if it was there before already... I think, they misunderstood the problem. "Horizon Home" is another part... this means the separate home environment within "Horizon World" wich can be used from american/us situated people only... not available for europeans.

Suddenly there was an Info about the update (147), but I have to get the accu to 50%... so I've played some rounds of "Duke Nukem 3D" (Serious Sam Fusion Mod) and newly buyed APEX Contruct (for less then 5€ ;-)... afterwards I've made the update. As you I didn't recognize any difference.

But everthying works as before... crystal sharp, no blurryness and perfect freedom with Air Link.
And congrats to you, fixing your link problem!

TechnoStone
Explorer

Got 37.0.0.147 patch, aberrations gone and new hand tracking menu appeared (without screenshot button btw). And there are new issues:

1. Oculus Link has performance issues on Quest side. Setting CPU/GPU Levels to 4 via Sidequest returns normal performance

Default levels:

2022-01-26T15-13-06.582Z.png

Level 4:

2022-01-26T15-17-40.815Z.png

2. Headset now pulls just 500 mA from PC's USB 3x ports instead of 900. My helmet was discharged, I've turned it on and left connected to PC (Oculus Link was off), after 10 hours I've seen that it pulled just up to 76% (and after that 4 minutes of Link gameplay (see upper screenshots and battery levels on them) dropped 6% (important!)). By the way Quick Charge and USB PD still work tho

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the details! Regarding point 2, are you using the official Link Cable or a different one? The team is going to try and reproduce what you're seeing and could use some more details.

TechnoStone
Explorer

Anker and some no-name chinese 3.0 cables. All of them are 5 meters. All work same with Oculus Link (~2.3 Gbps in test) and can provide same power on USB-C side (when using Quick Charge 3.0 adapters, 5V-2A with Q2 and 9V-3A with phones)

KindOldRaven
Honored Guest

Can confirm what the user said. Airlink and Link work well, but somehow the Quest 2 is now draining both on official Link cable as Kiwidesign alternative cable. No changes to USB3 settings and my phone simply quickcharges as expected.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

I've had the Quest 2 draining battery while in use, despite being tethered, since V34 or V35. Pointed that out in the corresponding thread. Hah! Like Oculus cares about these things anyway.

robinoculusnl
Protege

👍

TechnoStone
Explorer

Draining was always here, but not so significant. USB port gives less power (~4.5 W if 3.x) than headset consumes by itself (~7-12W) and that was enough for 5-7 hours of playtime while tethered. But now playtime is almost half the original. Something like 2-3 hours now on v37...

thebobbu
Honored Guest

I've got the update to the 37.0.0.147 patch, but the problems I experienced since the v37 update hit my device when using the link cable are still unbearable.  I managed to get screenshots of what element of the UI and the edge of the screen look like at the moment, to show how impossible it's making using the device. I used the Oculus UI as the illustration of the problem, but it's happening to world elements, and in many different games, too.

The menu seems to be the worst affected, making it super hard to do anything:

With even slight motion certain parts of the UI turns into a glitchy mess, but not everythingWith even slight motion certain parts of the UI turns into a glitchy mess, but not everything

The menu seems to be the worst affectedThe menu seems to be the worst affected

Hands and other parts of the scene can also turn into garbage, and you can see how the edge of the screen here is super jittery. It actually gets worse than this, but I couldn't catch it.

Hands and other parts of the scene can also turn into garbage, and you can see how the edge of the screen here is super jittery. It actually gets worse than this, but I couldn't catch it.Hands and other parts of the scene can also turn into garbage, and you can see how the edge of the screen here is super jittery. It actually gets worse than this, but I couldn't catch it.

The tracking also seems to be out, even though it works fine when using standalone, so taking screenshots was a nightmare. Kept de-focusing the pop-up menu even when I was pointing right at it.

This is running on Windows 10, using an RTX 3090, 80Gb of RAM, and an i7-10700K CPU. With a third party link cable that runs at a perfectly acceptable 2.6gbs when tested in the Oculus app. Everything was working fine until I updated to the v37 OS via the in-headset update check.

cheddle
Protege

Can you use sidequest to manually increase the quest performance to level 4 and report back if that has improved the situation for you?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@thebobbu  I have pretty well the same high end gaming PC with a i9 9900k/rtx3090 and since the latest v37.0.0.147.... I have seen very nice improvements with both Air Link and esp. Link with my Q2.  PCVR has never looked/worked better and you should also be getting very good results imho. 

Pretty hard for me to say what may help since I don't know what settings you are using.  A couple things I would suggest you try is to opt into the Oculus pc desktop public test channel (v37) and get rid of your Rift custom home.  Custom environments are causing problems with v37 Quest custom homes so the same maybe causing problems with the Rift home as well.  Just disable the settings/general option around the bottom that says to start off with your Rift home.  This will then start you up in a Void (like SteamVR) with just dashboard/menus.  This is what I do and it takes a lot less resources, so it may help you.  The only other suggestion would be to lower your ODT bitrate down to say 300 max.  This may help your graphics and tracking stabilities.

All I can suggest without going into way too many other settings options that may not be applicable to lower spec'd PC's.   Please feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to send you the settings details that I've found work best for me.  Of course you can always contact Oculus support and start a ticket.  They may be able to review your logfiles and identify why you may be having issues.  Good luck mate and cheers.

Banana4Bananas
Heroic Explorer

I'd like to use sidequest to do that but no matter what I do the quest 2 ADB drivers give error code 10 in device manager. Always have even on a fresh Windows 10 install

finder1973
Protege

The headset was connected via USB 3x for a day. Charged only up to 78%. For 2 hours of work, it was discharged before a warning about the need for charging. On version 35, the headset from a PC via USB was fully charged in a day, the duration of the game via cable was 4-5 hours.

The micro-update partially improved the situation with the spacecraft. There is no image clarity, no long battery life as before.
Dear developers, please share your progress in troubleshooting version 37:
- Have you found the reasons for the decrease in clarity in some cases, the lack of smoothing in others?
- have the reasons been found - why on some devices everything is fine - on others - "pull out your eyes"?
Or tell us when to expect a rollback to the previous version. When I bought your device, I did not agree to experiments on my eyes.

NoctemCreations
Protege

just like to inform the QA testers and the oculus team that in v37 ptb and full public release the oculus horizon home is not even implemented. so please edit the release notes so people dont feel lied to. i already reported this issue to one of the support chat team

NoctemCreations
Protege

quest 2 mainly. quest 1 is lacking in cpu power compared

NoctemCreations
Protege

seems that the custom  home enviros make the ux crash if they dont have a display pic in the enviroment selection screen. the devs of those enviroments need to update their work to have a name and siplay pic show in the ux itself

NoctemCreations
Protege

the only 3 things you need is oculus pc app and sidequest. and oculus mobile app. 
install both sidequest and pc app. then in your phone app while the q2 is on. go to devices then developer mode. turn it on. then connect headset to pc with usb. then in the headset there should be a pop up asking for permissions. press yes. then it should show as connected in sidequest pc app

NoctemCreations
Protege

this is why you need a usb c to usb c cable so the quest can be provided enough power to keep charded while in use. 

thebobbu
Honored Guest

I don't actually have a custom home set up, I'm using one of the defaults, and I already had it set up to not start automatically - the problem was still present in games.

I will try out the other suggestions when I do another round of debugging this evening, though. Thanks!

thebobbu
Honored Guest

@cheddle I tried that just now, and it made very little difference. If I'm in the void, things work with barely noticeable glitchiness, but as soon as I open my Home environment (not custom) it goes back to being terrible. It's the same in VRchat - the menu's jitter, and the environment glitches out while frame rates drop in all but the simplest of worlds. There seems to be a slight improvement, in that the issue isn't quite as pronounced as it was, but it's still very much a problem, and is still making it impossible to play anything.

I even tried reducing the bitrate using OTT, turning off ASW, and a bunch of other things recommended elsewhere. Nothing fixes this. If I am in any kind of game with more than a bare minimum of detailed environment, everything starts to glitch. And the Oculus menu is always the worst affected.

This is especially frustrating as everything was working flawlessly before the update, and now I'm locked out from half the VR content I own because I can't use my Quest 2 with my PC any more ☹️

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@thebobbu  Sorry to hear you are still having issues with v37 with your Q2/rtx3090.  First of all make sure you are on the oculus pc desktop app PTC v37.  This def works best with my Q2/rtx3090.

The sweet spot for me with my Q2/rtx3090 is Device graphics setting = 80Hz refresh rate with res slider full right.  ODT settings all default except distortion = Low, encoding res width = 3664, and link sharpening enabled.  Dashboard bitrate = 200mbps Dynamic.  Latest win10 updates and Nvidia driver (511.23).  Nvidia control panel global 3d settings all default except power = prefer max performance.  SteamVR visuals manually set to 100% and advanced super sample filtering = disabled.

Anyway, maybe give these a go and see what you think.  Also, continue to avoid using any Rift homes, just use the void (same goes with SteamVR).  Also, make sure you have set Oculus OpenXR as default in desktop settings/general tab.

Anyway, give these setting a go and see what your think.  Good luck mate and cheers.

thebobbu
Honored Guest

I had a chat with one of the Oculus help team via web chat, and they spotted that my GPU driver wasn't reporting the right version. The update didn't seem to have stuck, so fixing that sorted the problem. If ever there was an example of jumping to causation from correlation, I definitely just did it 🤦‍:female_sign:

Thanks for your recommendations - I've found everything working solidly on the defaults, but I will take your advice and maybe have a go at optimising things another time. For now I'm just glad this problem got sorted!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@thebobbu  Glad you sorted this out.  I know what you mean about jumping to causes.  When I first tried v37 everything worked great with Link but Air Link sucked. Then I reviewed my router settings and found that my 1gig router was only Ethernet linking to my PC at 100mbps instead of 1000mbps.  I fixed this by rebooting my router and reseating my Ethernet connections.  Always seems to be something you initially do not suspect, lol!

Gogsie59
Explorer

When are the v37 updates as stated in the release notes going to be operational? It seems very odd to release an update and tell everyone what these are then not deliver. V37 update which I've had for a while still doesn't behave any differently than v35. Has anyone managed to move in their home environment or managed to open a menu using hands only.

finder1973
Protege

Happy man. I would give a lot for a return to the 35th version

MoleUK
Protege

Same problem here, when using wired link it now almost acts as if it isn't getting any charge at all. Been working fine for months until it updated a couple days back, now wired link is basically useless.

epiCJesus777
Explorer

Moving around home doesn't work... I noticed the 3 or 4 little white dots I assume where locations to move to... But opened a menu and never saw them again. I tried restart a bunch, close menus, move joysticks.... Nothing... Please fix this soon.... 

NoctemCreations
Protege

Link wont have a positive rate of charge from a usb type a to usb type c since usb a cant provide the rate to keep it charge. Use a type c to type c into a c port can. Cause type c ports can provide up to 100w of of power if your psu can spare it. Quest 2 woth link uses about 17w of power since v37 cause of sharpening. Usb a ports cant provide enough wattage anywhere near this 

MoleUK
Protege

This is not the problem. I'm not talking about getting a positive charge, but getting a charge at all. 

I may have solved my particular issue, it looks like the cable needed to be moved round a bit to a particular angle to start getting charge again. I was under the assumption that either you'd get signal + charge, or nothing at all.

Currently it's possible to have the cable not quite aligned right, and get all the data for link completely fine, but no power. The headset says it's plugged in and charging, but due to the wire being a bit off it doesn't draw any power, but still gives a clear link signal.

And I somewhat doubt the sharpening update has significantly increased the power draw of the headset, given that the sharpening is happening on the PC's end not the Quests.

bowman9991
Protege

Since v37 I have been unable to use Airlink. It loads, but is massively slow and distorted. Is anyone else having this issue with the latest release of 37? Is was good before.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@bowman9991   Maybe try resetting your router (pull power to if for 30 seconds and power it on again).  I found I needed to do this after 2nd v37 update (37.0.0.147...).

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Got the v37 last night - so far everything works perfectly (as usual) with the Rift CV1, then again I suppose nothing was changed for the Rift CV1... 😉