cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will be rolling out soon.

Virtual Workspace

We’ve added a section to our settings page so you can customize your virtual workspace to fit your needs.

• We’re also adding a mountain study environment complete with snow capped peaks and serene redwoods creating the optimal environment to enjoy peace and quiet while you focus on your work.

Multitasking

We moved all Multitasking features from the experimental settings panel. Soon, everyone will be able to simply utilize multitasking by default. We also added the following new features:

• We've expanded the ability to use side-by-side app windows to additional 2D apps. Previously, side-by-side multitasking was only available through the experiments panel or for Browser via multiple tabs. Now, you can have three side-by-side windows for additional supported apps.
  • From the universal menu you can easily switch between multiple windows to launch, focus, minimize, and close any open apps that support multitasking. You can also switch to specific instances for apps that support multi-instance experiences (like Browser).
  • We've also made some general multitasking improvements to let you switch between your apps more efficiently.
  • Please note, these updates to multi-tasking will be gradually rolling out over time to ensure the best possible experience for all Quest owners.

Feed redesign

We’re redesigning notifications to make it easier to manage both in VR and in the Oculus mobile app.

• In-VR, you can now sort notifications by time or by app.
  • In the Oculus mobile app, you can swipe across a notification and tap the Settings Icon to quickly unsubscribe or change notification settings for that app.

Browser

You can now share links from your mobile browser to your headset via the Oculus Mobile App.

• When you share a link, it’ll be opened in Browser the next time you put on your headset.
    • We previously introduced this feature to Android devices, and now we're bringing this to iOS devices.
  • We’re updating the logo for Browser to better reflect our vision for the product.

User Reporting Improvements

• Simplified the user reporting process, reducing the number of steps required for users to submit reports.
  • Added a freeform field for users to add any additional details to their report.
39 Comments
AngeloCarlo
Protege

I am PTC member and I still haven’t seen the Virtual Workspace options in settings yet. Any timetable as to when we can expect that @Ryanality ?

Kuraray
Explorer

I was last on PTC v39 before I left that channel to get normal updates again. The PTC program has since been full and not joinable for me.

Will I be getting this normal release even though it's the same version number, v39? Or do I have to wait until v40?

I just really want to get back on normal software to see if my PTC issues are fixed.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Kuraray   I left the Quest PTC when I was on v37 PTC and I got a final v37 updates no problem.  After that, I got the normal v38 updates. (including a small one yesterday).  For me the current Quest PTC makes no sense because it's not reversible like the Oculus Desktop pc app.  If this changes in the future, including opening it up to all users, I may look at opting into it again.  For now, I'll stick to public Quest releases.

Kuraray
Explorer

Thanks for that report. I also plan to stay on public releases after this.

RaygeH
Explorer

Since the Quest 2 automatically installed this update I can't control the refresh rate anymore. It is hard locked to 72hz and all options to change that are gone. Doesn't matter if it's native on the Quest 2 or using airlink. Everything is locked to 72hz. Also the screen sometimes stays black. This update absolutely made things worse. It's horrible.

Kuraray
Explorer

Are you on the PTC v39 or regular v39? 

RaygeH
Explorer

Since I never opted into any Betas, I assume it's the regular one.

Kuraray
Explorer

Disappointing to hear. I was on the PTC v39 when I first got the 72Hz lock and I was hoping it was be fixed before they pushed out the regular v39.

Shorse.exe
Honored Guest

100% agree I am having the exact same issues hope they fix this major bug soon.

saint_cow
Protege

I can't believe they pushed the update with so many people reporting the 72Hz issue in the PTC thread, guess I'm still not enabling wifi until this issue is resolved properly, so glad I didn't do any updates and stayed off wifi, these sort of botched rollouts of updates have become far too common and are seemingly amateurish for such a large company.

Rapierarch
Explorer

When can we expect Windows 11 support? I waiting months now for upgrade to win11. Oculus is the only thing holding me back.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

I wouldn't count on it ever.  If Windows 11 support had any sort of priority it would have been fixed by now. Instead they are busy pushing an update they know breaks the refresh rate. Unbelievable.

ratmat2000
Explorer

v39 is blocking access to the device serial number instead returning just a string of "unknown". This is problematic for us and any other developers that use the the serial number to authenticate with their backend platforms.

This is the code snippet that has historically been used that no longer works with v39:

AndroidJavaObject jo = new AndroidJavaObject("android.os.Build");
string serialNumber = jo.GetStatic<string>("SERIAL");

Can you confirm what version of Android v39 uses and whether there is some other way to obtain the serial number?

coolcat2828
Protege

Does the v39 software update say v39.

My headsets just did a software update from v38 to a subsidiary of v38.

I am asking this because I still do not have app sharing where I can use them simultaneously between headsets 

ratmat2000
Explorer

Yes, our problem headsets are displaying v39. Other headsets that have not been updated are still showing v38 and continue to work properly.

Mbastias
Honored Guest

We have exactly the same problem, Oculus' release notes don't have even a hint of it so now we've got all our clients that use Quests on v39 probably unable to use their apps.

ratmat2000
Explorer

I also just love how they can’t be bothered to respond to any of our posts. Why oh why is Facebook/Meta/Oculus developer support always so terrible? It’s not like they’ve had 16 years to get better at it…. 

Buetigame
Expert Protege

Follow this Link:

https://support.oculus.com/782441792401375

As described get support from other users at the forums or open a support ticket.

With millions of devices an so millions of users it's impossible to realize a "dev support" with the community directly. And it's also impossible to solve problems if nobody follow the advises to open detailed support tickets for problems or bugs. So get active and open such tickets for problems you get.

Thanks.

ratmat2000
Explorer

We already did 3 days ago. No response. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

OK, I got v39 (public release, not ptc) earlier today on my Q2/rtx3090.  Version 39.0.0.88.336.363807235

It did take a while (~20-25 minutes) to download the update, restart, update the headset firmware, then each controller firmware.  All seems to work fine in the Quest home.  Panels are a little bigger and I can only make them bigger by moving them upward a bit from the dashboard menu.  Browser panels are still easy to move and resize though.  Clarity seems about the same as v38 (always hoping for improvements, lol!).

I'm using the current v39 PTC on my Oculus Desktop pc app.  I've only tested this out with Air Link so far but everything seems to be working fine (including all Q2 refresh rates are showing up). 

I did notice that my Air Link dynamic bitrates were down quite a bit.  With my rtx3090 I normally use 200mbps Dynamic and when I review my win10 task manager it usually said I was getting about avg 150mbps (varies a bit from 140-160).  Now with v39 this results in about avg 100mbps (varies from 90-110). 

I did try using 200mbps Fixed and win10 reported about 170-180mbps.  Unfortunately this was very unstable.  I needed to take this down to 130-140mbps Fixed to get better stability, but I still got the odd stutter.  Enabling the new ODT mobile asw afi made this all worse so I've disabled it for now. 

I'm just sticking with 200mbps Dynamic for now since this is giving me the most stable, stutter-free results.  I don't think there's a lot of difference in clarity/artifacts but maybe not quite as good a v38.  Hopefully Meta support can improve v39 with a few more minor updates.  Either that, or maybe wait forv40, lol!

Just a quick v39 update since this post;

After playing with a few settings (Oculus Desktop app, ODT, and OTT) I've managed to get my Q2/rtx3090 working much better, with Quest v39 and the Oculus desktop app v39ptc.  I also noticed that using Air Link 200mbps dynamic bitrate, and monitoring the win10 task manager over time showed that the bitrate actually increased quite a bit after running apps a little longer.  I reviewed a number of different apps/sims now and I can actually see some minor clarity improvements, without any increases in artifacts.  All silky smooth and without any stutters.  Thank goodness because I thought for a while I was going to have to go back to either Virtual Desktop, or tethered, with a link cable, lol!

Goozaloo
Explorer

I have 2 headsets. One one headset, V39 has taken away by ability to multitask. I can no longer have the 3 side-by-side windows. On the second headset when device is turned on, it shows the meta logo and then dark screen with 3 white dots, then the dots turn gray and the screen remains gray. There is audio but no display. I did a factory reset but it still does the same thing every time device is turned on.  I have contact support twice and they have not been able to help me and suggested I post here. The only other “solution” they ever offer is to perform a factory reset (and that didn’t work because the problem is V39)

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Goozaloo  I’m not much into multitasking with my Q2 standalone but I thought I’d give it a go since I just got v39 yesterday with the Q2 browser.

With the browser I opened up 3 tabs (YouTube, oculus user forum, and a news/weather).  I then just grabbed each top tab (not the whole panel) and dragged one to the left, another to the right.  All worked great and I could run them all simultaneously.  I was pleasantly surprised it worked so well.

Goozaloo
Explorer

Unfortunately I can’t say the same thing

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Goozaloo  Sorry to hear that mate.  Just a wild guess what may be causing some update problems. 

I've noticed after the last few Quest updates is that I've found it best to manually install these (from just checking quick settings/settings/updates) rather than leave my Q2 plugged into it's charger overnight and having it automatically do this. 

Also, I've then found it best to keep my headset on while it downloads the update until it shows the 'restart to install' button.  After the restart, wait for the green firmware update to finish.  Then you may notice (like I did with v39) that both controllers start updating as well.  I've found it best to wait until both are updated before doing anything else (like confirming your guardian).  If I have not followed this procedure during the last few updates (or factory resets) then I've had problems.  Hope this helps some inpatient updaters, lol!

Goozaloo
Explorer

They were updated correctly. The update is the issue.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Goozaloo  Sorry mate, I meant on sleep/charge.  Maybe you just have a faulty headset.  Contact Oculus support and I'm sure they will help.  Probably not as fast as you'd like of course, lol!

https://support.oculus.com/

Good luck mate and cheers.

Goozaloo
Explorer

I did contact support -two separate times. The only solutions they offered was to do a factory reset (which from what I hear is usually their response to everything). When I said factory reset did not work, oculus support gave me this link to click on and post my issue. So I joined this forum just to post my issues as suggested by oculus support.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Deleted by TomC

Goozaloo
Explorer

Clearly not as valuable and helpful as your pointless responses 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Deleted by TomC

AngeloCarlo
Protege

@tomcgcfc I agree 100%! This is not what I expected from a test channel. But to be fair, the only reason why people with software issues are finding this channel is because Customer Support Reps are sending them here. It just makes no sense to me, especially since the majority of these people aren’t even PTC members. There just being passed on to the Community Manager of this forum who doesn’t have anything to offer them besides the same generic response they received from support. 🤦🏻‍:male_sign:

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Angelo! If you would prefer to discuss PTC issues or features of v39, you can do so on this thread. Cheers! 

Goozaloo
Explorer

Hi Angelo. You are right. I attached a screenshot of how my last chat with oculus support ended. The link he gave me (because he could not help me) sent me here for possible support (which I also didn’t receive). Otherwise I have no interest in participating in an online forum (I rather spend my free time in other more enjoyable ways such as playing on our functioning quest 2 headsets lol). Just a mom here with a family of quest 2 lovers (including myself) who was looking for help to fix our headsets. And I will seek it elsewhere. ADF93691-FF76-4BFA-A113-B16775C23C2E.png

NorbertNoBacon
Protege

The PC app seems to be falling by the wayside here. Can it not include a "check for updates" like the headset? I got v39 on my headset a few days after release, yet my PC app is still on v38. The rollout parity is really sloppy. It's about time you brought the PC link GUI in line with the headset as well, again looks very dated, almost like it's been abandoned. I tend to prioritise playing via AirLink over native headset editions where possible, especially with cross-buy titles. There's plenty of us who play on PC via AirLink so maybe try supporting it a bit better!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@NorbertNoBacon  I recently got v39 on my Q2 and I've found that the Oculus desktop pc app seems to work a bit better if you opt into the settings/beta tab/public test channel.  This ends up with v39. 

Unlike the Quest beta testing program (I opted out of this back in v37) the Oculus Desktop pc app is very easy to opt into the beta and roll it back if you don't like it.

CONSPIR4CY
Explorer

v39 only 72hz no other options why??

NorbertNoBacon
Protege

Cheers Tom, I may opt in, I try to avoid beta channels where I can unless desperate for a feaure. I haven't found any issue playing v39 Quest 2 and linking to v38 desktop build. Just really irks me they can't do simple parallel roll outs!

BastiaanTalsma
Explorer

this needs attention asap I have the same problem pcvr is out of the question now.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

I just noticed and added the "Crystal Atrium" environment. Nice.

Updated to 39 a few days ago. Refresh rates up to 120 still available on the Desktop App settings.