cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.10.2 Audio Integration Feedback

petergiokaris
Protege
Hi everyone,

Now that the 0.10.2 release of the audio SDK is out, we would love to get your feedback on what you think could use tuning to make the experience of using it better.

In particular, many of you are using the Unity integration, and it would help us out to know how you are using it and what areas of the integration could use improvement.

We want to ensure that you have the best "out of box" experience using our 3D Audio solution, and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!
Peter Giokaris Senior Software Engineer
5 REPLIES 5

Bino
Protege
I'm not sure if you are referring to use the SDK directly or 3D audio powered the SDK.

I'm using it via FMOD in UE4.

My biggest issue is I'm not sure how to get the best results. I'm dedicating a night to experiment with FMODStudio and various sounds.

I'm using Brian's talk on 3D audio as a guide.

But so far... I'm really impressed with it.
CRT-X (Hotline Miami inspired VR shooter) https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/80394/dr-lucky-duck/p1?new=1 https://twitter.com/superteamone https://www.instagram.com/superteamone/

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a brave new world out there for audio 😃 If you have ideas, questions, comments, please feel free to ask and we can definitely offer some input and our own experiences. But much like everyone else, we're learning as we go!

petergiokaris
Protege
Hi Bino, thanks for the response and I'm glad to hear you are liking it!

We are definitely interested in how you feel the audio SDK works with the main Oculus SDK. Our focus is with the audio SDK, so any input you have in how easy/difficult it is to use, and your thoughts about the end results in using the audio SDK would be most welcome.

Brian's talk on 3D audio is a great place to start for getting a good understanding of what 3D audio entails.

Experimentation is key, so let us know your results!
Peter Giokaris Senior Software Engineer

owenwp
Expert Protege
It would be great if we could place volumes for multiple rooms, and have each the early reflections depend on the location of the source, and late reverb based on the location of the listener. Having one global setting isn't very flexible when the listener can move around.

I imagine you could get significant cues based on how close a sound is to a wall as well. It isn't technically correct, and I don't know if it would really work well, but perhaps the wall reflectance could be used to attenuate early reflections if the listener is outside of the room, rather than them just cutting off entirely.

At the very least some visualization of the room size and reflectance would be useful.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey owen,

Thanks for the feedback. Right now the assumption is that the programmer will handle changing the room dimensions as the listener moves through the world, however this is a heavyweight change (requires a lot of recalculations). Our feeling is that we'd rather start moving towards a more physically modeled reverb, however that is a huge can of worms.

Shoebox models are reasonable first order approximations but do fall apart under certain conditions.