cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Unity Local Multiplayer

Atley
Protege
Is there any reason Photon Unity Networking Classic won't work for the Quest?  I'm new to mobile, and it will take me a while to test with multiple Quests, so I'd really benefit from someone who has prior experience with this. 

I'm using OVR (I hear it's necessary to update frequently for Quest dev).  My experience is for five players, and does not require matching at the moment.  However it is local, so I will need to align each player's coordinate system (and continue aligning them over the course of the 10 min experience to avoid drift).

Any heads up about potential issues or recommendations would be much appreciated.  It seems as though Photon Classic is the best way to go, but I am also open to trying PUN 2, U-Net, or anything else that might work better for a local Quest multiplayer experience. 

If you know of any good tutorials or repositories to check out, that would be awesome!!  Thank you in advance!  
27 REPLIES 27

Ross_Beef
Heroic Explorer
Hey @Atley, have you by any chance looked into the Oculus solution?

We have a sample (Social starter) which provides avatars, already hooked up with networking and VoIP. 

Atley
Protege
No, I didn't even know about it.  But this looks like a great place to start.  

Will the Social Starter by chance be offering support for drift?

I'd like to expand the max room scan size by about 10x.  I'd like to pre-load the room scan to our Quests.  Could you advice?  I believe the OC5 teams running Superhot had to solve something close to this...

TheGRIDVR
Honored Guest
Has anyone gotten Social Starter to work with Unity and the Quest?  It crashes shortly after export to the quest from Unity and there seems to be a lack of Quest specific documentation. I plugged in the Rift in an attempt to debug the Quest project and get Entitlement errors, etc. 

vrz_dev
Protege
Any update on this topic? I would like to create a social experience too and I’m undecided between the social starter project (which apparently doesn’t work), rooms (no tutorial) and Photon2
thanks 

lsummers
Protege
We are using Photon with the Quest on an internal demo.  It indeed works well for us.  We had to decouple a lot of the OVR SDK though - that was a spiderweb of a framework to resolve and get multiplayer friendly.  Hoping to do a video on it at some point.  I feel like the folks working on the OVR framework haven't actually done any serious Unity games or worked with any Unity multiplayer frameworks before.

Metal_Multiball
Heroic Explorer

lsummers said:

Hoping to do a video on it at some point.

I will watch your video, please update this post when ready. ?

VJ76
Protege
@lsummers i'm also interested  B) hope it is soon

lsummers
Protege
I'm debating right now if we continue on with Photon or take the opportunity to learn more about Improbable as I'd LOVE to see us transform it from a 20 player arena game to an MMO.  But will update soon!  First, I promised the Oculus guys I'd tear apart the OVR framework and go into some of the explanations on why I think people are struggling to get content on the Quest

vrz_dev
Protege
Quick recap:
1) Photon - requires OVR framework modifications (looking forward to the video)
2)  Social Starter - deprecated - still no news about that

3) Platform SDK - room - 
I’m thinking to use this options for my first prototype on Quest. Do you know if it’s possible building a custom room?

the problem is always the same: lack of good simple tutorials and no response from the Oculus team (I bombed them with emails and support tickets...nothing)