cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chris Pruett - Director of Ecosystem

rosebud_the_sle
Expert Protege
Hi folks! My name is Chris Pruett, and I am the Director of Ecosystem for Content here at Oculus. I joined Oculus in 2014 and have spent the last four and a half years helping developers build better VR apps and games. Before that I ran a game studio, worked on Android at Google, and even further back, shipped a bunch of games for consoles. I'm a big fan of horror games.

I'm happy to answer your questions about VR engineering, game design, or market success. Please only post a question once, we'll see it!
59 REPLIES 59

rosebud_the_sle
Expert Protege
The concept approval procedure that we've just announced is exactly designed for this purpose. We'll launch the concept document intake form soon, at which point we'd love to hear about your title, your team, and your needs. Even if you do not go the concept approval route, all Quest devices can be used for development once the device launches this spring.

rosebud_the_sle
Expert Protege
We definitely see a lot of value in non-gaming applications, and even though the focus of Quest is games, we also expect to ship a robust library of apps. Personally, I would strongly encourage you to go with a paid application, and build it to the level of quality that your customers will agree that it delivers value for its price.

hkarrson
Protege
How much support will there be for Mixed Reality on the Quest? How much access will we have to the cameras / sensors? How easily can we get a 3D mesh from the environment? How easily can we create 3D environments from what the cameras see? Whatabout creating our own tracking systems, so we don't have to scan the area before playing or so we can walk around the world anywhere with the Quest on and play games procedurally generated around us? What limits us in MR on the Quest? Etc, etc.

rosebud_the_sle
Expert Protege
When we launch the concept document submission form we will include a short example document that you can reference. If you are already at the alpha stage of development I expect that you will have a pretty good idea of what you are building, what it will look like, and what your target audience is. With this information we should be able to get a good handle on the vision for your title. Of course, if you have something playable, or even a game play video, we'd love to see that too. If you're not quite at that stage yet, my recommendation is to wait until you've hammered out the details of your project before you submit a concept document.

rosebud_the_sle
Expert Protege
We're looking for great games, whether they are seated, standing, or room-scale.

Slayemin
Expert Protege
Will I be able to sell VR games for the Oculus Quest on other storefronts, such as Steam, Epic Store, GOG, etc?

rosebud_the_sle
Expert Protege
We don't have a checklist criteria that defines an app as “pass” or “fail.” We're looking at the holistic quality of the title. Everything from the quality of the art and presentation to the length, the story, the game play hook, etc. Long play sessions usually indicates strong engagement, so that's the sort of detail you should absolutely call out in your concept document.

rosebud_the_sle
Expert Protege
Oculus Quest is an all-in-one 6dof headset, so I'm not sure it makes sense to consider software sales through platforms that cater to PC users. As one of the first devices in its category, titles for Oculus Quest can only be sold through the Oculus Quest store. Of course, I expect many developers to take their Oculus Quest titles and port them for Rift and other platforms.

rosebud_the_sle
Expert Protege
Whew, it looks like we're out of time. Thank you to everybody who came by to ask a question today. I hope that this AMA was useful. I will be at GDC later this month, and if you have the chance please say hi!

fabs_epsilon
Explorer
Hi Chris,

We have worked with the Rift, Go, Vive and now the Focus. Ideally we would like to have fully untethered full body tracking.

1) How does the Quest compare to the HTC Cosmos and the HTC Focus Plus?
2) When will the Quest be available?
3) Will the controllers for the Quest be 6DOF as well?
4) Do the controllers need to be in view of the HMD in order for them to be tracked, or does the system know the controller(s) location even when it's outside the HMD's field of view (ie when the hands are flat against the sides of the body and the user is looking forward).
5) Will Oculus have other hardware to track feet and waste, such as the HTC track straps and belt?

Thanks!