Matt Conte - Developer Relations Engineering Lead

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, I’m Matt Conte, and I
run our Developer Relations Engineering team at Oculus HQ in California. My
team works closely with VR developers on a variety of aspects from performance
analysis to VR design guidance. I came from the games industry, where I started
writing GameBoy Color games in Z80 assembly. Most recently, I worked as an
architect and principal engineer on Activision's cross-platform engine technology,
helping ship games on iOS all the way up through PS4.

I like classic video games,
I’ve written several console emulators, and I own Centipede and Q*bert arcade
machines. @!#?@!

Ask me anything!

Twitter: @mattconte

Reminder: There may be a slight delay from when you send your comment to when you see it in the thread. Don't worry! We've received your question.

52 REPLIES 52

jamesoloughlin
Explorer
Any ETA on the documentation for the Quest? Curious at the moment about play space limitations (sizing).

casey_kawamura
Explorer
Thank you for answering questions today, Matt.

I have a few if you would be so kind,

1. What are the hardware ports that are included on the Quest? Is there a page with a detailed spec sheet? If I search for Quest ports I am flooded with how to transfer programs to the new device. 

2. Is the documentation completely the same as Rift? I am interested in developing some attachments and accessory devices for the platform, I would like to know if there is anything assisting that development already.

3. How much of the storage is consumed by the OS? Is this going to be an okay platform for a Dev? or is Rift S okay to dev for quest applications?

Thanks again Matt! I really appreciate you doing this.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Steve! Welcome the Oculus Start program. As a Start member, you get access to a ton of resources, tools, documentation, and a bunch of materials that my team authors. The Developer Relations Engineering team helps out all of our developers in a variety of ways by giving talks at conferences like Oculus Connect and GDC, writing blog posts, publishing samples, all of which are public-facing. We hope you check out developer.oculus.com regularly to see what we're up to!

Azrayel
Honored Guest
Hey Matt, thanks for doing this AMA.

I hate doing this but I have two questions.

1. What would your top 3 optimization tips for unity be as far as PC VR (Rift and Rift S) is concerned?

2. Concerning the Quest, what would your top 3 tips be to indie developers that want a store position?

Neontop
Heroic Explorer
Hi Matt,
I came up with a serious problem with the UE 4.21.2 and the new integration 1.36 .
The Oculus Avatar in multiplayer is broken as there is a change in the ovrAvatarManager.h and .cpp.
They commented out theQueueAvatarPacketServer function and now it is not possible to replicate the Avatar.
Can you ask if they will provide an alternative solution in the next 1.37 integration?
Thanks for the AMA.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, pekayatt! We are always looking to bring the best content to all of our platforms, when the platform is a good fit for the content in question. Today, that means a lot of the best content for Rift will be coming to Quest. Sometimes, the original developers handle the port, other times they look for third parties to do the work. We have provided a ton of tools to make this easier including: 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello AionR! Wow, that's a lot of questions! Let me do my best:

1. Unity's lightweight render pipeline, if you're well-versed in the SRP, is working really well for some of our Quest developers in 2019.1 and above, but we have many titles that are hitting perf without it as well.
  2. The Oculus Unity Sample Framework has a lot of great starting points for building great applications, and shows off things like our Avatars, object interactions, and some great methods of locomotion.
  3. You can always check the current recommended versions on our page here. Currently we recommend 2017.4.21f1 or 2018.3.10f1.
  4. We recommend 4k maximum, with mipmaps on, trilinear filtering, and ASTC compression. Take care when automatically generating mips on texture atlases because pixel averaging across texel boundaries can cause issues in fixed foveated rendering, as the higher FFR levels use lower mips.
  5. The talk is split into two parts, and they just went up on our developer blog here and here.

slashwoo5ever
Honored Guest
Hey Matt just a few more questions thanks so much for your time. 

1. What are the top 3 things that makes you and your team successful?

2. Do you like to party?

Big thanks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Howdy, Mr. Alan O'Toole! The Quest is quite a powerful machine, and we find that it can handle a lot more complex compute than we had been anticipating being able to squeeze out of it! We always try and optimize loading times whenever possible, since you want your users to get into the exciting content as quickly as possible. We just posted a new blog with some great Oculus Quest dev best-practices and we'll be sharing more resources on the developer site when the hardware launches.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/down-the-rabbit-hole-w-oculus-quest-developer-best-practices-the-s...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Matt,

In terms of VR design guidance, how much of an emphasis do you put on making the world feel grounded, for lack of a better term? When VR games do things like have laser pointers or floating menus in stark relief to the feeling of the rest of the experience, it's really noticeable and really pulls me out. I feel like the experiences that are really successful with keeping everything explicitly in universe, like the non-abstracted locomotion and tablets in Lone Echo, and the interaction with everything in Job Sim, even going as far as having "quit" and "load level" be explicit objects you interact with in the world, do the best job at proving out VR as the next big thing.

Thanks!