cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go AMA panel

la_reina
Protege

Hi everyone! I’m Reina Shah and I currently manage Entertainment content at Oculus. Prior to joining Oculus, I spent 10 years in gaming- from financing FB and mobile game companies, to user acquisition for social and mobile titles, and most recently I managed BD for Unity’s Cloud Services division. 

Fun Fact: I’ve completed at least one hike in 46 different countries. 
Twitter: @reina_shah

###

Hello all! I’m Gabor Szauer, I'm a developer relations engineer at Oculus. I support developers targeting mobile platforms like Gear VR and Oculus Go. If you have technical or performance related questions, I’m the guy. In my spare time, I also make video games and have written several publications for game development.

Fun fact: Gabor collects novelty USB drives
Twitter: @gszauer

###

We’re ready to answer any and all of your questions about developing for our newest device – Oculus Go! Quick note that there is a slight delay on our forums. Please only submit your questions *once*.

128 REPLIES 128

la_reina
Protege
@Jevsevar
Reina: Our UI puts the developer's terms of service live of the experience's product description page. How you choose to bind people beyond that is up to you and your team.

la_reina
Protege
@oliver1111
Gabor: Yes, but this depends on the game. There is nothing stopping any app from working without wifi, but some games are designed to be multi-player experiences and don't make sense without wifi.

la_reina
Protege
@NyanBlade
Gabor: There is no way around the re-import time, that's a unity thing. Up until Unity 5.6, the asset server was the way to not have to deal with the long import times. However, the asset server is deprecated and is not supported in versions of unity past 5.6. Unity Collaborate is the service set to replace the asset server. As far as the camera falling, the camera rig is not getting height information the same way as it would on the rift. On Oculus Go you will have to set the height of the OVRCameraRig to be the height you want it to be.

la_reina
Protege
@shapesim
Gabor: Looking at your applications requirements, they are listed as 8GB of ram with a GTX 970. You don't have this much RAM or such a powerful processor in a mobile device such as Oculus Go. The first challenge is going to be optimizing the application to run on a mobile chipset. Third party frameworks like VRTK should work on Oculus Go. Anything that works on Gear VR should work on Oculus Go. From a design perspective, you will need to take into account that the Go is a 3DOF headset with a 3DOF controller.

la_reina
Protege
@darabo
Reina: Our dev kit and consumer product are the same, so you can develop on the consumer product now that it's available in stores and online! 

darabo
Explorer
Hello Reina, thank you for the AMA and the forum.

As a VR developer for over three and a half years, seeing the Oculus Go get rave reviews and feedback highlights an excellent future for both mobile VR and VR as a whole.

What is the process for getting an Oculus Go dev kit? I've been communicating with Oculus for months however to no avail, and it would be great to also work on mobile VR. 

Thank you.

Florian.BRINK
Protege
Hi there, in order to make adb deployment easier, is there any way to make the Oculus Go IP address static? And where can the Oculus Go IP address be found? The information provided here is not correct. The IP address can not be found in "About -> Status".

Kev1970
Explorer
Looking at your response to the "keys only" question, which appeared to be RTFM, do Oculus not provide detailed information about why a particular application is not accepted onto the store?

BLACKISH
Honored Guest
Hi there, thanks for doing an AMA!
Does Oculus Go have the same high audio latency that troubles pretty much all other Android devices? Do you have any information on what's possible?
BLACKISH (Games) | GameAssets.net (Assets)

la_reina
Protege
@BLACKISH
Gabor: In my experience the audio latency on Oculus Go feels like it's less than on other Android devices, but I haven't done any profiling and don't have any numbers to back that claim up. There is still some latency I notice, just not as bad.