cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Game Marketing advice

Kev1970
Explorer
I've not been able to find any information given by Oculus about how to go about marketing your game that is distributed on their platform (other than landing page content on their site that they will then direct users to).

Perhaps the guide would show/suggest how to market your game and get customers to your game page (and thus the oculus site in general)?

Is there any affiliate scheme where users you send over end up buying something else instead?

Perhaps it would concentrate on Facebook at least and show the exact user category that has detected if the user has an Oculus Headset (facebook would know this like they know what type of phone they have, they will know if they've logged in via an Oculus headset in the past at the least, and which type). Your advertising could then be perfectly targeted at just the users who are able to play your game without wasting other peoples' time. And once you have visitors to your game page that you've generated then they'd show how many have purchased your game via that source, at the least with information from the UrlReferrer being Facebook or elsewhere.

Such information could be a great help in getting the word out about your game and VR in general but i just can't find it.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists and if not then why not?
2 REPLIES 2

Morenoja
Honored Guest
Hello Kev, I have the same problem as you. Oculus is not helping the marketeers, in my humble opinion, as they should. We can not make any prediction on sales, as we don´t know what is the real headset market. We can not help our apps to be noticeable in the platform. We cannot use any push system that we could track in order to get trial to our app.
And also, it is really complicated to get any feedback from Oculus company.
I think this is bad for our business, but also bad for Oculus business.

Kev1970
Explorer
Thank you for your reply and i agree it is a shame this is the case.

I think the situation is compounded if you consider that the VR market is or should be for everyone and not just hard core gamers.

So you make something genuinely new in the world that is designed for VR from the ground up but its not a traditional game. How on earth do you market that to a wider audience without specific targeting at least to a headset ownership level ideally factoring for taste as well?

And now to see Oculus go after the hard core gamers and only the hard core gamers with money to spend on 6dof it seems to leave vr enthusiasts and experimenters completely out in the cold and just picking up the crumbs. Its as if oculus have given up on selling vr as a concept and see it just as another gaming platform.

So no Funnel for Go, killing off GearVR and no stats to support any kind of marketing effort outside of the oculus store itself.

If mobile low cost vr dies then without new adopters doesnt vr die right along with it?