cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Height issues, and altered perspectives

KuraIthys
Honored Guest
I've been reading what little guidelines devised so far in relation to simulator sickness and the like, and one point comes up that I'm curious about, because it has implications for several things I wanted to try.

What I've seen so far suggests it's best to try and get a consistent and realistic sense of scale to the world.
I understand the issues surrounding consistency in scale, but it seems rather limiting.
What if you wanted to create a world where you play as something on the scale of an action figure?

Clearly, the correct scale for this is pretty small. Does anyone think this would be an issue that might cause adverse effects, or is it more of a matter of relative scale? (If the ingame world is built around the idea of the character being about 20 cm tall, does anyone think this would cause issues in and of itself, or would it suffice to scale all other distances appropriately so that the overall effect is the same as if things were built to a more typical scale - such as say, being 1.8 meters tall.)

A secondary issue relating to height... How crucial does it appear to be that the player's actual height and their avatar height match?

Let's say I wanted to create a game (to stick with a theme) where you play with toys. This is still all at normal human scales, but given the setting, it would seem interesting to place the player in the role of say, a 10 year old.

Given that a 10 year old is typically no more than about 1.5 meters, and a lot of adults are closer to 1.8, would the mismatch in height be a critical issue, or would most people be able to deal with it?

In general then, I'm curious as to how much you can mess with someone's point of view. Seeing things from a perspective you wouldn't really be able to in real life interests me, but at the same time I'd rather avoid making people sick as a result.

So I'd like to get a sense of how much you can mess around with things like this without causing serious adverse reactions...
10 REPLIES 10

KuraIthys
Honored Guest
I'm not sure yet.

From the comments I've received, it seems you can change the IPD of the characters, but then somehow keep the player's IPD as well.

I'm guessing this would have to keep some kind of scaled relationship however.
I'm a little unclear on how you can seperate the two though, given that the IPD setting seems to determine how far apart the cameras are, it seems a little strange to have two values for this.

What would be the relationship between the two? If a giant character would have an IPD of say, 22 cm (220 mm), but the player then has a typical human IPD of 64 mm, how would you relate the two?

Clearly you can't use a 220 mm IPD directly, but can you do anything with it without causing problems?

I think I'm going to have to look more closely at what the IPD value changes within a game engine.
It's obvious what it measures physically (the distance between a person's pupils), but what does a game engine actually do with this information, and how creative can you be with how it's used without causing eye strain...

I'm just really not sure about any of that right now...