cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go Sunsetting

GigaSora
Expert Protege
Hey guys,

I just wanted to start an open conversation with the community about the Oculus Go sunset from a developer standpoint. I feel like we're missing information that we'll receive sometime between now and December (the sunset date) but I wish that we could just receive that info now so we can start making decisions.

It feels strange to sunset a device before you've released the second version of it. I imagine Oculus is still committed to the idea of a 3 line-up structure (cheap - go, medium - quest, high end - rift). So I feel it can be assumed this rumored Del Mar headset is in some form a successor to the Oculus Go. Is it going to release before December? Will it be as easy to get on the app store as was the Go?

Leaving a price void at the 200 mark seems strange as well. Is the plan to lower the Quest headset price to 200 around December? To fill this gap?

As of right now, for a developer on Go, it feels that our users will really have nowhere to turn to. So whatever info you guys have about your plans moving forward would be greatly appreciated. There really isn't a need to shroud your plans from developers, not sure why companies do this, especially ones with no competition. We need to know so we can plan. Thanks.

How is everyone else feeling about this?
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it's a shame oculus go is stopped. 
it was a very good heaset for this price.
Some competitors exist (pico) but it's not the same quality from my point of view.

I hope we can still publish apps on dev channel testing  but oculus didn't respond to me at this question 😞
We don't want/need 6 DOF that is more complicated for players for our usecases.

Jepplen
Explorer
Since they no longer accept new apps nor updates to existing apps after december 2020, I unfortunately think it is safe to assume that they are not continuing with the Oculus Go setup at all.
As I understand it the Quest will completely replace the Go.

If so, this will indeed leave a void in the market and me personally think it is an absolute shame to dump the Go.
In my opinion it is a great media player device, whilst the Quest is more towards gaming.

I would've loved seeing the Go concept of 3 DOF continue.