cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus to require Facebook accounts by October 2020

Clavus
Protege
.. and drop support for existing non-FB accounts 2023.

https://twitter.com/oculus/status/1295769244894785538

I thought I'd start a developer discussion here, because I'm personally not amused. There were some explicit promises of this scenario not happening around the time of the acquisition but here we are. I don't think that linking a Facebook account, which is required by the terms of service to represent a real person with their real name, to what's still largely a gaming ecosystem is the way to go. No other gaming service goes that far and neither should Oculus.
8 REPLIES 8

beep2bleep
Protege
I agree that many developers and users are probably going to be extremely unhappy.  I'll reserve my opinion in this forum.  On the plus side it's today is probably a great time to look for Rift S or Quests on Ebay.

MikeF
Trustee
Yeah, dont like this at all. Will have a big impact on future plans with the platform.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do we know if the Oculus Quest Business will need a facebook account to connect?

LivingBrain-Till
Honored Guest
@DEV_CIMMI it will not.

A Note on Oculus for Business and ISVs

There is no change to the Oculus for Business enterprise platform, which allows company admins to use Workplace accounts to manage their VR deployments. Today, most developers and ISV (Independent Software Vendor) providers employ their own custom account and login systems that will not be impacted. There is also no impact on the shared devices model, where device access doesn’t require an account. We’re working to introduce Workplace login for individual device access in 2021, and will have more updates to share next year.

-taken from oculus developer blog

NapsterAT
Explorer
i hate it i don´t like it and i can guarantee i definelty will not link my facebook account - fake account incoming if you pull this shit trough....... it makes no sense to do that it never made sense and it will never made any sense.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here - i got a FB account but its fake/non serviced anyways - i dont use it - i dont need it - i dont like it - i'll never do.But if you insist i'll spam you with false info
... or maybe even better:  i'll  leave the oculus VR dev train all together ...

Clavus
Protege
The thing is, 'fake' FB accounts are against the terms of service. What if it gets suspended? Do we lose access to our dev environments / store purchases?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clavus said:

The thing is, 'fake' FB accounts are against the terms of service. What if it gets suspended? Do we lose access to our dev environments / store purchases?

I'm not sure what really makes a "fake" account, but an account with a seperate email not used for anything else ( but which belongs to me ) , and nothing ever being posted on that account, and never logging in on that account ( except of course when it's necessary ... ) ... i'd be okay with that...
What i'll definitely NEVER do is continuing to contribute in the dev forums with my real pic, real name or whatever
if that has to be tied to some facebook account
NEVER !
As a professional , i have no problems with real name , real pic because of course i got some professional "standing" to maintain and defend, but still i want to have the control where and when. And facebook account is a no go for this