cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Oculus Quest Development

ColdSpike
Explorer
I was wondering about this https://developer.oculus.com/blog/submitting-your-app-to-the-oculus-quest-store/
Once the developer documents for Quest go public, will Oculus still require developers to use the submission process in order to develop for the Quest? I'm purchasing one in order to create a solo project, an older idea which I had started up way back before the Rift had even come out and I'd like to continue it now that I have more experience and resources, but if the barrier to developer for the Quest is too high than that would all be bust.

Also, will it be easily possible to set our Oculus Quest to developer mode or do we need some sort of permission from Oculus before we can do that?
5 REPLIES 5

jphilipp
Protege
+1 Humanity needs to know

Schneider21
Expert Protege

ColdSpike said:

Will it be easily possible to set our Oculus Quest to developer mode or do we need some sort of permission from Oculus before we can do that?

It will function the same as it currently does for the Go. Once your Oculus account is registered as a developer, you'll have the option in the phone paired to your Quest to enable developer mode. You'll then be able to side load APKs you've built and run them locally.

Nothing is stopping you from doing this before going through their submission process, as that relates only to the distribution and not development.

jphilipp
Protege
Schneider could you please describe the deploy of a test version process from Unity? One hits Build for Android in Unity, and then? Upload the APK to a server and hit refresh somewhere from within the Go (in future, Quest) device? Thanks.

I'm also curious about typical proper way to test multiuser apps in Go/ Quest. Would one create a second Oculus account and run from Unity PC, presumably?

Schneider21
Expert Protege
@jphilipp:

To clarify, I don't have a Quest yet. I have two Gos for work that I build on frequently, though, and Oculus has stated publicly the development process is the same.

This guide isn't bad. Be sure to follow any of the links pointing to sections you're not familiar with.

Basically, though, after enabling developer mode on the Go/Quest, you'll be able to plug the charging cable for the Go into your computer (Mac or PC) and your machine should recognize it as an Android device. In Unity, you'll target the Android platform and enable VR and all that stuff. If you haven't done Android builds before, you'll have to make sure you have the Android SDK, JDK, and NDK setup properly, but my understanding is that Unity 2019 makes that a lot easier (I'm still on 2018).

When you're ready, using "Build and Run" will push the app up to your Go directly upon a successful compile. The app will start up right away, but if you close it and want to access it again, it's under the "Unknown Sources" tab in your library. You don't have to stay connected to the PC after the build transfers.

I'm still figuring out a bunch of things, but if you have any questions when you get started, feel free to reach out! Good luck!

jphilipp
Protege
Great info thank you!

I guess the original question of when Oculus will switch to a more regular submit process for Quest is still waiting for an answer, which only Oculus can give...