cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

-284 Spikes Headroom on a 4090

Dagfal
Explorer

Like the title says , Headroom spikes so low its.. impossible with a 4090. All games all settings, steam or no steam.

Ultra or lowest settings, Spiking headroom.

I have tried everything including taking the box to where I purchased it and had the headset tested with both different processors and GPUs and the result was the same.

I used this guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znSWXn41i6I&ab_channel=YukoVR

guild for my ODT settings with the new 4090.

Triple checked BIOS settings

I have reinstalled all drivers 

had the problem tested with different hardware 

Factory reset my quest 2 

Turned off HAGS ( things got slower so its back on)

Tired changing encoders in ODT

Tried with Air Link ( I do not have a high quality router for it so my results were just lagging droped frames)

And 5 dozen other things but my mind is jello from fighting this for so long ...

I have read dozens of post from customers with a wide range of products having this problem and yet almost no solutions.

I'm typing this on my brand new box built for VR and I cant enjoy it at all.

I get negative headroom just standing still in the steam home... with steam settings at nothing but default..

Looking for solutions....

Box is Shinny Brand New. Here she is.

i7-14700K
ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI II Base Board Version Rev 1.xx

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090

Samsung SSD 990 PRO 2TB  2X

WDC WD4005FZBX-00K5WB0

Corsair 64GB DDR5 6400

Seasonic Vertex gx 1200 PW

Win 11 Home

Quest 2 64gb early version one

5 REPLIES 5

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Dagfal! We certainly don't want you to have to continue with those headroom spikes taking away from your PCVR experience, so we're very glad to help! To start with, we'd like to get some clarification on this issue overall. When you get a chance, please clarify the following information:

• When did this issue begin? Have you always had these headroom spikes while gaming? 
  • Is this issue also happening when using Meta Quest Link with a Link cable? Or is this issue specific to Steam VR?
  • When using Meta Quest Link, what specific cable are you using to connect your headset to your PC?
  • Can you confirm that your PC is compatible to support Meta Quest Link by checking here
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey again, @Dagfal! We just wanted to check in on you and see if you're still needing our assistance. If you are, make sure to let us know!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Dagfal
Explorer

I had to step back from this a week its to frustrating. The issue is Day 1 of a new computer.

I am getting spikes into negative headroom in anything I do with link cable. Steam or no steam it makes no difference.  Even if I change from Ultra settings to lowest I will still have strange spikes in performance headroom. This is all on link cable. All drivers are up to date.

On low settings my headroom will be OK ( even though everything looks horrible) and then I will spike to negative headroom causing micro stutters and dropped frames.

I do seem to get better performance using ALVR but I cant afford to buy a new router right now.

I am not sure where to look next.

Hello @Dagfal! We're glad to have you back! While you were away, there was an update. You should see an improvement with PCVR in the recent v62.0 update! Please follow this link to check out the updates. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach back out to us!

Hi again @Dagfal! We're just following up to see if you were able to get your issue resolved. If you need further assistance, please reach back out to us! 

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?