cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS g752vm "Oculus ready" laptop, no video in HMD

glassbottommeg
Honored Guest
Everything reports fine in the setup, everything says it's detected and operational, I can configure the room space fine, but I get stuck in the "and now finish config in the headset" part with the FOV adjustment because... oh hey, there's no picture in the headset. Nada.

Light is orange.

I've currently got it plugged into the HDMI port. I've also tried using a mDP->HDMI adapter, and plugging it into that port, with the same result. In both slots, the software acted like it could see the HMD (I'd unplug it -> "can't find your Oculus" -> I'd plug it back in -> warning went away), but still no video.

Yes, I've tried putting it on. No, it isn't the headset-being-worn detection. I can also cover the sensor with a finger to make it think it's worn, no change, other than the light going out.
12 REPLIES 12

glassbottommeg
Honored Guest
Incidentally, I have indeed tried removing the foam spacer, pulling the HDMI plug out from the HMD-end, and reseating it. No change. Though holy geeze was that obnoxious to line the plug back up and reseat.

I even cracked the new-in-box extra Oculus we had in the office and tried plugging it in. Same problem. So I think I'm comfortable ruling out hardware failure on the HMD or sensor, at least.

glassbottommeg
Honored Guest
Also also, I have a 4k-supporting mDP->HDMI dongle on the way, so then I can see if the issue there happens to be that the mDP is indeed what the GPU is wired to, but the dongle I had is just too low-bandwidth, as was seen by one of the answers in: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4hjmg8/just_got_my_rift_doesnt_work_please_help/

glassbottommeg
Honored Guest
... and since it'll doubtless come up, see attached for logs zip. Glancing through it, I'm not seeing any smoking guns? OculusService seems to find the right graphics card, indicates it isn't running through an Otimpus-like service / is indeed wired directly to the GPU, etc.

You'll see that I started by trying to get Oculus + Touch working, then tried again with just Oculus. Figured I'd get just-Oculus working first, then add Touch later. Minimize variables.

glassbottommeg
Honored Guest
tried said 4k mDP->HDMI converter, still no joy, exactly the same problem. For chuckles, I tried updating to the VERY latest Geforce GameReady driver, since a new one game out, AND did a clean install on that... and no change. But hey. Now it's super ultra latest drivers, super ultra clean installed, so that's nice.

So how long have you had this laptop?  Played games on it, everything working fine?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Is your OS installed on a dynamic disk?  

glassbottommeg
Honored Guest
My OS is installed on the only HDD in this system. Which is a typical spinning-rust drive, unfortunately, not an SSD. The laptop is relatively new, it was purchased for VR development, and that was one of the first things to test on it, soooo - yeah, here we are 😉

Testing VR was the final step, after getting everything installed and updated. Windows Update is up to date, drivers, all my primary dev applications (I'm a gamedev) are moved over, etc.

Do you have a major anti virus app installed?  Temporarily disable it, reinstall Oculus?

glassbottommeg
Honored Guest
Nope. The only thing installed is builtin Windows defender. I can certainly try disabling that and uninstalling / reinstalling Oculus, though, so let's see... (testing)
Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?