cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing the Data Folder within the Headset USB/Data/Read-Only

Aeromixx
Expert Protege

I am a developer for an app that uses DLC.

When I am developing DLC content, I need to make the DLC file and put it on the headset and then test it. Sometimes I immediately see I need to change something, make another build and test again. This is the nature of development.

Luckily, I have a custom online file delivery system within our app's ecosystem and I can upload the DLC to it and download it within the headset.

However, sometimes a DLC is 4GB and this is just not reliable or intelligent.

For *YEARS* I have used the Windows Explorer USB dialog.
I can go to the required folder within my app within data, but I can no longer add, overwrite, or delete these files. I assume this is due to read-only mechanism, that has recently been implemented.

I know this has stopped working at some point in the past few months. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a deliberate update that disallows us from accessing/modifying files within /data.

For developers this is *extremely* inconvenient and feels like the early days of Apple where we don't control the device we own. I severely hope this is not the case, as it makes developing for the Quest much harder for apps with DLC. Dealing with Google's new scoped storage is annoying enough.

Also I am lucky to have made a custom content delivery network for our app, it seems developers without this would be out of luck.

Hoping there is a solution. 

**EDIT**: I am now realizing I cannot even add files to my Galaxy S23 Ultra. So it appears this is a Google/Android limitation, and the Quests are also victims to this limitation.

Thank you.

0 REPLIES 0
Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?