cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 1.30 and 1.30.1 update a lot of stuttering in the Rift headset

Hamsteren
Explorer
Hey guys

I know this is not a new discussion but i try anyways. I simply want to find out if i'm the only one having this issue right now?

My specs:
i7 7700k
gtx 1080 asus rog strix
16 gb hyperx ram
500 gb ssd intel
Corsair 850 watt psu

After the recent updates i have had constant stuttering/lag/flickering in the Rift headset when turning my head.

To avoid thousands of solutions i will try to come with facts!

I havent changed anything in my system from where i had ZERO problems till now!!!
ONLY installing the updates that are coming from time to time!

Within the last 10 days i have updated:

1. Windows 10 (happens auto of cource)
2. Updated to latest Nvidia Driver 399.24 and today 411.63 ( did not fix the problem)
3. The first Oculus update came 10 days ago, (1.30.0), and then again 6 days ago.
The last being 1.30.1 witch i suspect could be the problem but without
knowing! The 1.30.1 update had no explanation it it...just an update? I am NOT 100 % sure, but as far as i remember this is where it all started. I think i made 1.30.1 and the Nvidia driver updates the same day!

I am also in contact with the support team at this moment. I have done everything they asked me to do.

Updating drivers for the Oculus software
Updating drivers for my USB ports
Deselecting power savings from the USB ports.

I have 2 censors connected to usb 3.0. Only have 3.0 usb ports.

None of it helped. 

Because they think it is a tracking problem. But when i look in oculus connections there are no errors. No warnings!

To sumarise: I am getting pissed of by support teams, (in general), almost asking you to take your Pc appart and then putting it back together! They apparently think that all Pc owners are nerds. But no...not me, and most people are not!!!

Let's get to the point from day 1 you recieve a support ticket, and let's keep this discussion on point and don't waste my time!!!

I know that this is a software related issue. I know i'm not the first oculus owner who has this problem!

Can anyone relate to this?

Kind regards to all

29 REPLIES 29

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I have similar specs and have not noticed any problems with 1.30.1 and my Oculus Rift w/2x sensors (all into usb 3.0 ports, same as you).

I am using nvidia driver 398.82

Only thing I can suggest you try is to install the 398.82 driver and use ddu beforehand (in windows safe mode) to properly clear previous graphic drivers.  Also, check your nvidia control panel 3d settings and make sure your power setting is set to prefer max performance.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

LZoltowski
Champion
I have almost identical specs to you, 3 sensors tho, everything running on the latest version, no issues.

Quick question are you running any GPU tweakers? Intel Extreme Tuning utility? They seem to conflict with newer Nvidia drivers.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary
ok i know how to fix mine... only 1 title does it, but it does it 100% of the time for me, Elite dangerous.

For me the 100% fix, always works never failed.
I load the game, framerate is gash, i mean not a little bit stuttery but 30fps with no ASW kind of thing

i alt tab out to the monitor, bring the oculus window to the front, click on apps / downloads (note i do not do anything with the settings)  and then go back into elite dangerous.

for the rest of the session it is flawless every time.
I have no idea why this works, it makes no sense to me, but i can repeat it 100 times and it works every time.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I've have games before outside of of VR where ou had to minimize and then go back into the game and then this fixed the issue, and other games where you had to play windowed mode, games are weird like that.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Hamsteren
Explorer

I have almost identical specs to you, 3 sensors tho, everything running on the latest version, no issues.

Quick question are you running any GPU tweakers? Intel Extreme Tuning utility? They seem to conflict with newer Nvidia drivers.

I thought i made my statement clear, but not enough :blush: I forgot that one... ha ha
No GPU tweaks or any background apps running. I have never used those programs...neither monitoring programs!
My GPU is factory clocked as you can see by the name, and that is enough for me. And i have not overclocked my CPU.
All in all..., i am actually not touching anything but updates.

Hamsteren
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

I have similar specs and have not noticed any problems with 1.30.1 and my Oculus Rift w/2x sensors (all into usb 3.0 ports, same as you).

Only thing I can suggest you try is to install the 398.82 driver and use ddu beforehand (in windows safe mode) to properly clear previous graphic drivers.  Also, check your nvidia control panel 3d settings and make sure your power setting is set to prefer max performance.

I did try to roll back to 398.82 the other day, but not with a total clean install like you mention. Just did it from Nvidias homepage. I could actually play without any problems for about 3 hours that night. Next day the stuttering was back.

I am mostly playing racing games like Assetto Corsa and PC 2, iRacing.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
DDU works much better than Nvidia clean install.  If you have not used this before just google ddu tutorials.  Lots of YT vids.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

LZoltowski
Champion

Hamsteren said:

TomCgcmfc said:

I did try to roll back to 398.82 the other day, but not with a total clean install like you mention. Just did it from Nvidias homepage. I could actually play without any problems for about 3 hours that night. Next day the stuttering was back.

I am mostly playing racing games like Assetto Corsa and PC 2, iRacing.

When you say the next day, did you fully shut down the PC or put it to sleep/hybernate?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Hamsteren
Explorer

ok i know how to fix mine... only 1 title does it, but it does it 100% of the time for me, Elite dangerous.

For me the 100% fix, always works never failed.
I load the game, framerate is gash, i mean not a little bit stuttery but 30fps with no ASW kind of thing

i alt tab out to the monitor, bring the oculus window to the front, click on apps / downloads (note i do not do anything with the settings)  and then go back into elite dangerous.

for the rest of the session it is flawless every time.
I have no idea why this works, it makes no sense to me, but i can repeat it 100 times and it works every time.

Okay, that is also a heavy title, i think! But my concern is that, before the updates it was never an option for me to do this and do that to play my vr games. Everything ran like a knife in butter...i mean flawless 🙂

I really don't think that the stutter and flickering is because of low framerate or heavy load from games, because i have it in the Oculus Home as well. That meaning not playing any games.
Its also there when playing non heavy titles!

But thanks for the heads up. Apriciated 🙂