cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Link stopped working

Coffeh2099
Explorer

Hello, I have been having issues with my Q2 suddenly just stopped working about 2 weeks ago. I checked for some troubleshooting and verified OVRServer_x64.exe had not been blocked. I managed to get it working once, but it stopped working again the next time I tried. I even thought it could be Bluetooth 5 PCLe card might have gone bad, and I replaced it. That was not the issue, but I am at my wit's end and can not determine what is wrong. Any help you can provide, or tools that might diagnose the problem would be greatly appreciated . Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for giving those steps a try, @Coffeh2099! We definitely want to do everything we can to get your Air Link back to being fully connected, so let's continue working together on this. For a bit more clarification, could you please let us know, is your headset functioning properly in standalone mode, not connected to a PC? Is it fully updated to the latest software version available per these steps? Lastly, does your PC currently meet the requirements to support the Meta Quest Link desktop app, as listed here

Also, we know you had mentioned using a firewall, so we wanted to be sure to ask that you try this connection after disabling that program. VPNs/antivirus have been known to affect the the Meta Quest Link desktop apps connection to the Meta servers as well, so please disable those if you have them on and try this connection again. Keep us updated on this! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello there, @Coffeh2099! We understand how having issues with Air Link can really disrupt an amazing gameplay, so we would love to look into this further for you in order to get you back to a smooth VR experience. We appreciate you letting us know the troubleshooting steps you have already taken to fix this issue. Before we begin, could you please answer the questions listed below?

• Have you made any changes to your Meta Quest 2 settings recently?
  • Are you seeing any error messages on the screen when this happens?
  • Can you describe what you were doing with your headset just before this issue started? 

With that being said, please read below for some best practices for using Air Link. 

• Have the PC connected to Router/Access Point via Ethernet cable and not Wi-Fi
  • Headset should be connected to Wi-Fi via 5GHz band (AC or AX)
  • Router in the same room as the headset or in line-of-sight, and at least 1m (3.3ft) off the ground
  • Non-mesh network configuration

Once you have read through the best practices and answered the questions, we can know what step is best for us to take next. We can't wait to hear back from you soon! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

• Have you made any changes to your Meta Quest 2 settings recently? I did find that somehow I accidentally blocked OVRServer_x64.exe on my firewall, but I had removed that block and verified it is in the allow access to the app, but it continues to not connect.
  • Are you seeing any error messages on the screen when this happens? On the PC it shows "Conn not find headset" and on the Q2 it shows unable to find PC"
  • Can you describe what you were doing with your headset just before this issue started?  other than putting on the headset and trying to connect like usual, nothing out of the ordinary.

• Have the PC connected to Router/Access Point via Ethernet cable and not Wi-Fi "Check"
  • Headset should be connected to Wi-Fi via 5GHz band (AC or AX) "Check"
  • Router in the same room as the headset or in line-of-sight, and at least 1m (3.3ft) off the ground  "Check"
  • Non-mesh network configuration and "Check"

Thank you for your reply, @Coffeh2099! Since your headset is unable to discover a PC, please ensure that the network is set up correctly and that both devices are connected to the same network then continue with the troubleshooting steps listed below. Air Link issues can sometimes be resolved by completely disabling the functionality on your Meta Quest. To ensure the process is completed properly, use these steps:

In your Meta Quest headset:
   - Navigate to the Settings menu.
   - Ensure "Air Link" is disabled or turned off.

Restart both the Meta Quest and the PC, and re-pair the Quest to the PC following the set-up steps in this public article listed here. Let us know if this does the trick for you. If you are still running into issues after trying this, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again so we can continue to help you further! 

Coffeh2099
Explorer

I did all these steps again, and it still will not find my PC and pair. 😕

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

See this post for a workaround:

Workaround for lost Air Link connection 

With v66 it appears you can skip having to disable/enable Link in system settings.

Coffeh2099
Explorer

I've done that so many times and only got it to work temporarily maybe 3 times. I just tried it again and no dice. Until it is resolved with that update I'm out of luck it seems. 🤕

Thank you for giving those steps a try, @Coffeh2099! We definitely want to do everything we can to get your Air Link back to being fully connected, so let's continue working together on this. For a bit more clarification, could you please let us know, is your headset functioning properly in standalone mode, not connected to a PC? Is it fully updated to the latest software version available per these steps? Lastly, does your PC currently meet the requirements to support the Meta Quest Link desktop app, as listed here

Also, we know you had mentioned using a firewall, so we wanted to be sure to ask that you try this connection after disabling that program. VPNs/antivirus have been known to affect the the Meta Quest Link desktop apps connection to the Meta servers as well, so please disable those if you have them on and try this connection again. Keep us updated on this! 

Coffeh2099
Explorer

Good news, this worked, I normally use a VPN all the time. I find it much safer, and I have had far fewer spam and other normal kinds of internet issues since I started using one almost 4 years ago. With that being said, I just had to disable it long enough to get the headset to pair with my PC and then I was able to reconnect the VPN and still use the headset as usual. It seems to keep the pairing after I rebooted my PC, but when I reboot the Q2 I then need to repeat the procedure. Thank you very much for the help, but I am still hoping we can get a perma fix very soon 

Thank you so much for that update. We're very happy to hear that you were able to get the VPN disconnected long enough to pair the headset. Our engineers are aware of this issue, and we are hoping to have a fix in future updates. Please let us know if you run into any further issues or have any other questions for us. . 

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?