cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air link issue with Ethernet-only PC

SunVee
Honored Guest

Hi, my PC doesn't have the hardware to use wifi, and uses ethernet which isn't an issue for me, but i just got the Quest 3 and i can't seem to connect via air link to my PC because the PC is connected to a network just named "Network 3" and my wifi is just a regular wifi name. I believe that the ethernet network is different to the wifi network, so i'm wondering if theres some way to fix this? Or would i have to get a link cable or a wifi-compatible motherboard for this? I was pretty excited to try out air link.

Also i should mention, i don't have access to the settings of the internet so i can't modify the connections as far as i know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SunVee
Honored Guest

Hi! Sorry for a late reply, i kept forgetting to say this but i believe the issue was some quirkiness with how internet works in general where i live, there's multiple connections and the ethernet one seems to be unaccessible via wifi. I bought a USB wifi adapter and use the hotspot feature on my computer to turn the ethernet into wifi and it works like a charm now!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Your PC and wifi router (access point) need to be on the same network. Do you have a separate router for VR? If you do, it needs to be connected to the home router via ethernet too. With your dedicated router in access point mode, that should ensure that everything is on the same network. If your VR access point isn't in access point mode, reconfigure it so it is.

If you only have a single router for the whole house and the headset is connecting to wifi from that, I'm not sure why it shouldn't work.

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

Additionally, you got it right. You want your PC to be hard-wired to your wifi router. That's the best way. Wifi between the PC and the wifi router adds another layer of possible wifi slowlyness.

🙂

Always go full-throttle Ethernet when you can!

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @SunVee! Sounds like you are headed in the right direction for Air Link! As @Bendit74 mentioned, Ethernet cable is the best way to go most of the time. Please follow these steps to get PC VR setup with Air Link, and let us know where you are having issues getting the process going. If you cannot locate your PC, or if it is having issues connecting, be sure you are using the Ethernet cable of at least Cat 5 or better plugged directly into the router and not any wall ports if possible.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

SunVee
Honored Guest

Hi! Sorry for a late reply, i kept forgetting to say this but i believe the issue was some quirkiness with how internet works in general where i live, there's multiple connections and the ethernet one seems to be unaccessible via wifi. I bought a USB wifi adapter and use the hotspot feature on my computer to turn the ethernet into wifi and it works like a charm now!

Awesome @SunVee! We're glad to hear that you were able to get that sorted out so that you can continue to enjoy your device as intended! If you ever have any future questions or concerns, please feel free to reach back out to us at any time! Have a wonderful rest of your day and take care of yourself!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!