cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airlink Max Connections Help

SkyRL
Explorer

Hello all,

I am trying to find out if there is a limit to how many airlink connections you can have at once on a network. 

I have been testing out the connections on my new network. 

We have 1gb line with Unifi UDM Pro and 10gb UDM switch and a WiFi 6 LR access point. 

Airlink does not use internet so there will be no issues that side. But when I connect 4 or more Quest 2s there is lag and massive frame drops. 

The PCs we are running have 32gb ram and RTX 3080s with Ryzen 5 CPU. 

All of the setting have been enabled for best practices. I would of thought that with decent machines and a brand new 10gb network we could have more than 4 running at once. 

Is there any other developers here that have or are running more than 4 quests on airlink or virtual desktop. 

If so then please advise me of some actions I could possible take. 

Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3

SkyRL
Explorer

Is anyone able to help out with this? 

If you are using a single wifi access point, that's your bottleneck. A single Airlink connection really needs a single 5GHz or better (uncontested) channel to work well. You need an access point for each headset and some careful selection of channels. The 10Gb backbone should be fine.

Hello thank you for the reply. It just seems mad that you will have to have one single access point per Quest 2. Surly with the tech in the AP and what it can support should be enough to handle an airlink connection. 

Airlink does not need Outgoing or Incoming Internet data, It is just transferring the remote protocol at the selected bitrate of around 100mbps as a default. 

The access points are Unifi LR 6 and can reach an aggregate throughput rate up to 3 Gbps with its 5 GHz (4x4 MU-MIMO and OFDMA) and 2.4 GHz (4x4 MIMO) bands. 

This should be more than capable of running more than one device. Seems mad that if we wanted to get 4 people using airlink we would need 4 of these access points.

Before I even upgraded to the 10GB network and new hardware of the UDM Pro and the Pro Switch, we had 4 Quests running on just a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 over Airlink. If this was capable of running 4 then what is causing problems on the new setup.