cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airlink / VD high latency with dedicated 6E router

Vaestor
Honored Guest

Hello, 

I have purchased Q3 few days mainly for PCVR. Played wired until yesterday, when I bought dedicated WiFi 6E for Quest 3 - ASUS RT-AXE7800.

My internet is DSL (i think), I've got station (wifi + modem), into which is connected a satelite coaxial cable. Because of flat wiring, I must have modem in separate room. I also have integrated WiFi 6E on my motherboard, which was used to connect to the internet. So firstly, I used this method to connect (2nd variant):

Vaestor_0-1716841321995.png

This method had really big latency spikes, so I thought that both the router and integrated wifi on motherboard are interferencing. Today I bought 15 m long CAT7 cable, which I connected to LAN port inside STATION and then connected to dedicated router LAN port. After that I've set dedicated router to AP mode, disabled smart banding, disabled 2.4/5G bands and set 160 MHz bandwith. Pretty much same as the image below, only difference is that modem = router.

Vaestor_1-1716841505858.png

My setup is 7800X3D and 7900 XTX, which I had no problems running wired. 

Tried Airlink and VD. In ODT is bitrate set to 500 Mbps, refresh rate is set to 90 Hz and resolution to 1.0. Airlink has 50 ms latency, but its spiking alot that beatsaber is unplayable (often skips 3 notes, blurring, artifacting). It even says that I have 90% headroom.

VD is the same, less stutters but big FPS drops, it drops to 50 FPS. I have turned off the integrated wifi 6e.

I have no idea what I do wrong. There are no other 6G networks running in my apartment. 

I have 3 wireless devices connected to computer - mouse, keyboard and headphones, all of them are logitech with lightspeed - should be 2.4 G and not cause interference. I am playing 3 m from the router.

Thanks everyone for any kind of insight. 

2 REPLIES 2

Vaestor
Honored Guest

Bump. Still looking for help 😞 wife is gonna kill me if I spend another day troubleshooting like a maniac.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Sorry I can't help regarding your network settings since I just use my home router wifi6 router ethernet connected to my PC (i913900k/rtx4090) and use a dedicated 5Ghz/80mhz channel (ch36 in my case).  I'm the only one on 5Ghz (rest of home kicked to 2.4Ghz and band steering disabled).  My play area is only 2-3m away from the router.  With this I get excellent results using Air Link with both my Q3 and QPro.

All I think I can help you with is your meta link app and ODT settings.  With your PC I suggest setting your meta pc app device graphics to 80Hz refresh rate and the res slider a few notches left of full right (1.1-1.2x).  On the meta link home dashboard menu far left icon, set your bitrate to 100mbps Dynamic (not fixed).  You may be able to increase this later a little but AMD encoders are slower than nvidia rtx encoders so you may not be able it increase it by much.  I use 200mbps Dynamic wih my rtx4090.

For Air Link, set all your ODT settings to defaults/zeros except distortion = low.  You should also be setting these the same with Link as well except you then will set the encoding bitrate to 400-500mbps.  Leave it at zero for Air Link.  Don't worry about codec settings since Link automatically uses h.264 and Air Link uses h.265 (hevc).

Anyway, maybe try changing these settings and use your external router (as an access point) without connectiong it to your home router to begin with.  You should be able to at least get that working ok and maybe later try to get internet access by network sharing with your home router.  Your router instructions should tell you how to do this, or you may need to consult with a network consultant (or certainly someone with more network experience than myself, lol!)

Anyway, good luck with all that.  Worse case, just go back to wired with a Link cable.  As much as I love wireless PCVR I still prefer to use my Link cable with flight and racing sims because distance clarity is a bit better and I get about 7-10ms less latency.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?