Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airlink not working well since last Desktop update

Level 3

I updated my Desktop software today and now my Airlink is very laggy unless I drop the bitrate to 50Mbps or less (played for months including this morning  at 130Mbps). Quality is pretty nasty at 50Mbps.


Is this a fixable known issue? Anything I can do to get it to work properly again?


Yes, I've rebooted everything, restarted everything numerous times. Virtual Desktop works fine too, just not Airlink since the last update.


PC is Ryzen 5950X, RTX 3080ti, 128GB of RAM.

Airlink setup is a WiFi6 router acting as an access point exclusively for the headset (no other devices connect to it nor are there any other Wifi devices in the room with me other than the headset).


I wonder if some setting gets botched when upgrading the software and I can reverse it somehow. Help?




Level 15

Ya, I’ve noticed a similar thing starting with v41.  I used to use 200mbps dynamic and got very good, stutter free results with v40.  After v41 I needed to drop this down to 150mbps.  Since v42 on both my Q2 and pc desktop app I’ve needed to drop this down to 110mbps dynamic.  Works ok but not as good as previously with v40.  When I check bitrates using win10 task manager the bitrate seems to change up/down quite a bit.  Not sure why?  I did file a bug report on this so hopefully it will get fixed soon.

i9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Level 3

I had actually forgotten all about that. I also did used to run at full 200Mbps Fixed and had to drop to ~130 after an update though the visual difference was minimal. Dropping to 50Mbps now though is painful. I wonder if dynamic will work better.


I'm going to try uninstalling/reinstalling the Oculus software and perhaps a fresh Windows install if that's not enough.

@JoseQ  Def worth trying Dynamic bitrates.  Probably start off with 100mbps dynamic and see if this works ok.  Then finetune trying 80, 90, 100, 110, 120 to see what works best for your system.  Up to you but I don't think large reinstalls should be necessary.  Might be worthwhile to download the Oculus desktop app from the support website and run a Repair.  I find that this helps esp. if I've been going back and forth from non-beta to public beta.  Best to stick with non-beta (v42) for now imho.

i9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Level 3

I thought perhaps it was a cumulative problem where updating the software was bungling up some setting as a multiple from the previous version and just kept getting worse as you update vs install.


I tried both uninstalling / reinstalling the desktop software as well as a full Windows install from scratch (really all this PC does is VR and I don't play many games, so it's a pretty quick re-set). Results were the same. At higher than ~70Mbps Fixed bitrate, it becomes unusable on my specs.


With Variable though, I can hit 200Mbps and it seems smooth. I have yet to try playing a full game (Population:One is where I jam usuallly) to see if it'll affect playability but I previously did not enjoy the dynamic setting. We'll see if it introduces any hiccups and whatnot...