cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All OR applications give me a blue window

jthebomb97
Honored Guest
I've been having a problem actually launching applications for the Oculus Rift, specifically any demo/scene in Unity. I suspect I'm having a problem with Unity specifically.

Whenever I launch a program (the beach demo, for example) I select my quality/screen resolution as usual, but then it launches in a window/full screen and just fades to blue (shown in the picture). I haven't even plugged in the rift for this yet, this is just the result of me starting the programs on my computer. Any troubleshooting help would be appreciated, thanks! 🙂
13 REPLIES 13

drash
Heroic Explorer
If this is happening for your own Unity projects, make sure you are building to the x86 target, not the x64 one. I believe Oculus is already aware of this issue. Hope this addresses your blue screens!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes. This happens when you build for x64. We've actually fixed the issue, it will go out with the next release.

The work-around for now is to build for x86.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

rburlette
Honored Guest
I had this exact issue until I installed .NET updates, as well as other Windows Updates. I figured there was some C# .NET feature that Unity was using that needed to be updated on my machine.

cybereality
Grand Champion
@rburlette: Interesting. That's good to know.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

lgruen
Honored Guest
I had the same issue with the demo download (ovr_unity_0.2.1_demo.zip), but the binary version in the SDK (ovr_sdk_0.2.1_src.zip) worked just fine. Maybe the demo download needs to be updated as well? I had all Windows 7 update installed and installing the newest .NET framework didn't help.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The SDK download uses C++, so its very different from the Unity demo (even though they use the same scene). This blue-screen thing seems like a Unity specific issue. I thought it had been fixed, but I can let the team know it's still happening.

Boff
Honored Guest
I'm also getting the issue with a blue window/screen when running Win_OculusUnityDemoScene. No problem with the SDK version (OculusWorldDemo) as has already been posted.

Strangely, the Unity demo runs fine on my laptop (Win7 x64, AMD GPU) and my office laptop (Win7 x64, Intel integrated GPU).
But on my desktop (Win7 x64, Nvidia GPU) I get the blue window.

It's a fairly fresh install of Windows but all updates are applied. Installed .NET Framework 4.5, VC++ Redist 2005 to 2012 but still no difference.

Hope this info helps anyway.

Cheers
Boff

JamesMcCrae
Explorer
I have a specific fix that worked for me. Fresh install of Windows 7, graphics drivers (nVidia) installed. Tuscany Rift demos show a "blue rectangle" - and all other Unity-based demos showing a similar uniformly coloured rectangle (probably the selected colour to clear the colour buffer with in each case, in other demos this has been grey or black).

Installing this specific package caused all stereo Unity demos to work immediately after:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable.

(Make sure you grab the x86 one)

Knowing this would have saved me some time/pain 🙂 (I don't think it's in the SDK doc for setup, at least 0.1.5 anyway. Clearly you wouldn't need the redistributable package if you already have visual studio 2010 and are compiling/running C++ apps on the machine, but you do for deployment on other machines. Anyway, figuring it out was non-trivial for me since the Unity apps did run and there was no complaint about missing DLL, etc., which would clearly indicate the problem)

Anyway hope this helps someone!

Boff
Honored Guest
Thanks for the reply James, I was just about to write a follow-up post to say I'd sorted the problem when I saw your reply!
After comparing the 3 machines again I saw that the only things missing were MS VC++2005 (x86) & 2010 (x86).

I'd only installed the x64 versions when I did the initial install of the Frameworks.

After installing both, Win_OculusUnityDemoScene worked fine and the Tuscany Unity Integration package ran fine without reporting missing DLL's in the console.

Panic over! Still, it would have been nice to see it mentioned somewhere in the prerequisites.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?