cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I the A**hole here?

sirnumbskull
Level 2

So my Rift has an issue where the foam near the nose area is coming unglued. It's less than two months old.

I sent a ticket to Oculus support about the issue, and after they got the picture of it they said that the repair process requires me to send the headset in, wait 8-12 business days, and then it would be shipped back to me. Thinking that that sounded pretty fucking awful for a device that's less than two months old to require a half a month to repair, I started doing some googling, and it turns out that the facial interface is designed to be replaced. They sell replacements on their website.

So I asked if they could just send me a replacement facial interface, and they said:

"We will follow the the replacement/RMA process as outlined on our Support Center which I have previously linked you too. If there should be any changes in this matter, please check the blog (click here) for updates.

Surmising you would like to continue this process with us and have our team look into this matter further, we will need the details requested from you by Kairi. Below I will details them again out of convenience to you

So I sent them all the requested info, and they now have to "look further into the issue".

THIS ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE! Honestly, they could've seen my first picture, sent two days ago, and just said, "Oops, our bad, we forgot to put enough glue on that one" and sent me a new facial interface for a total cost of probably twenty bucks, tops. That would have made me fanatical about their support. I've had companies do that, where they'll just send me the part that needs fixing and I can do the work myself in a WHOLE lot less time and saving everyone a lot of effort.

I realize I'm probably talking to some support ticket farm in whichever country currently has the lowest minimum wage, but for chrissakes, Oculus, step one is building good customer service.

8 REPLIES 8

cybereality
Level 15
Sorry about the wait. We do have a rather large support team, but we experienced an overwhelming response to the recent sale, we response time on tickets is still delayed (though we are making good progress). Normally we could respond as quick as the same day but because of the ticket volume, things are slower now. I'm really sorry, but if you are patient, you should get a resolution. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

sirnumbskull
Level 2

Sorry about the wait. We do have a rather large support team, but we experienced an overwhelming response to the recent sale, we response time on tickets is still delayed (though we are making good progress). Normally we could respond as quick as the same day but because of the ticket volume, things are slower now. I'm really sorry, but if you are patient, you should get a resolution. Thanks.

Sorry, I just get a little irked when it seems like an easy solution is present and no one is using it.  Also, the support tech seems like she's getting a little snippy with me, but maybe that's just the lack of tone due to text communication.  

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Personally, I would be reluctant to send in my whole headset for a problem with the facial interface foam. You could just send the facial interface if that's what needs fixing or replacing. The value of what you're putting at risk by mailing it off doesn't match what you stand to gain.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

cybereality
Level 15
I think maybe there was some miscommunication. In this particular case, it would not be necessary to return the whole headset. Some of the messaging used may have been generic, but I don't think this applies here. Please continue speaking with us on the ticket for further assistance. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

sirnumbskull
Level 2
As an update, a new rep stepped in a few minutes ago, and they're going to send me a new FIT.  I appreciate the help, guys.  Maybe I'm the asshole here after all.

PiMaxVR_com
Level 3

We plan to offer great support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6yvde5/pimax_8k_kickstarter_september_19th/dmqotqa/

The details do matter, which is why people are so excited. You know the biggest gamble of all was the DK1. Unproven tech, for a market that no one thought existed. Oculus just started as a company and had absolutely no credibilty or products out. Pimax has 1 product out, that is flawed, but many people still enjoy. They also listen to, and incorporate features in their software that people request on their forum. They constantly update and improve their software. They help troubleshoot headsets, and send you replacement parts for free without any real evidence. They sent me replacement lenses just because I asked for them. Try gettinf help from Oculus. Will take weeks if not months and they want all sorts of information, pics, and they ask you one thing at a time to draw out the process. How is it that a big company like Oculus with deep pockets will make it so hard to get replacements for things, and one forum post on Pimax and I am being sent replacement stuff with no evidence or back and forth.

You make a huge generalization about Chinese companies, that isnt right or fair. Its just plain ignorant. I am not claiming Pimax is anything more than a company trying to build a good reputation to sell their products, just like Oculus is, but so far, they are doing a better job, with less.

Wildt
Level 12
@"PiMaxVR.com" - FYI, that kinda driveby advertising has a negative effect on people like me.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Sax-a-boom
Level 8
Same as @Wildt, I'm getting tired of @"PiMaxVR.com" hijacking virtually every thread of an official Oculus forum with some sales pitch, it's ridiculous. @cybereality please have a word with this user, they are contributing nothing to these discussions, I don't think people want to listen to this same marketing guff for months on end.