cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying low battery warning in game

fcarmoracing
Explorer

This in game warning for the joysticks batteries HAS to be disabled somewhere for the love of God. In my case, if it happens when I'm playing iRacing, this warning pops up in full screen while I'm driving on track, with other players.... so we run serious risks of ruining not only my race, but others inocent players too.

You get the picture? Imagine driving a car at top speed, 280 km/h, with other cars around you, and all of a sudden you cant see anything but only this low battery warning. We dont even use these joysticks for iRacing anyway.

And before thinking about commeting "this warning is there for a reason.... recharge your batteries, its easy... bla bla bla", we are all humans, sometimes we can forget to recharge these batteries.... and I dont think its fair for other players to be harm only because someone forgot to recharge batteries. Seriously, I cant beleave we are not able to turn this thing off yet.

9 REPLIES 9

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@fcarmoracing  If you cannot remember to charge batteries before a big PCVR race then thank goodness you are not driving the real thing, lol!  Battery warnings should never be disabled anyway, esp. with LiPo batteries imho.

The easiest ways around this problem are pretty simple.  If you are wireless using Air Link or Virtual Desktop then just use an external battery pack.  With a 20000mahr pack I can easily get +8 hours runtime. 

If you are using Link then get a powered Link cable.  I got one of these +4 months ago and it works great.  It uses your Q2/Q1 charger/cable to maintain your headset battery at about 80% for like forever.  Uses a more common usb3 type A PC connector and gives me the same performance as my original Link cable (2.4Gbps usb test).  I's also less than 1/2 the cost of the official cable.  I highly recommend it.  I got it from the Amazon US store;

https://www.amazon.com/Kuject-Separate-Charging-Ultra-Durable-Accessories/dp/B09TN25765

Hope this helps mate and cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

fcarmoracing
Explorer

So the first reply is exactly what I asked not to do, thanks!

Next please

fcarmoracing
Explorer

Can we disable this warning while in game? If you dont have an answer specifically for this disabling warning aspect then pls just dont reply, stop posting things about recharge your batteries or something else please.

One of the product engineering premises says that quality is what the client perceives. If a client is asking for in game low battery warning disabling, this client may have a fair reason for that:

*Batteries may get vicious with time or when recharged very often;
*They may drop quickly without a warning, showing 100% in the beggining of the race, and droping during the race, triggering this warning;
*Very annoying to keep getting these warnings for something I dont even use;
*Very annoying and energy wasting to keep charging batteries for something I dont even use.

The solution for this problem should be brought by the designers of the product, not by the clients going out of their ways to solve this. This is just basic product engineering.

@fcarmoracing  Man you must be a very good VR racer because you have a one track mind, lol!  Just kidding mate.

Probably could be like my win10 laptop’s battery level options.  It gives me a low battery warning without shutting down but lowers screen brightness and performance.  Then when it hits the critical battery level it shuts down.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

The complaint is about controller batteries, isn't it?

Actually, you offered zero solutions; you only talk about charging the headset, NOT the controllers, which is what the OP was asking about.

--
Mind The Gap

I used to hit the same problem in iracing, albeit on the Rift S where the controller batteries ran out much more quickly, and part of my pre-race routine involved taking the controller batteries out. How does the Quest like that?

@user_901925786032222 wrote:

The complaint is about controller batteries, isn't it?

Ya, looks like that's right mate.  Not sure if I missed this or not.  The OP edited the starting post after my first reply so that may have spelt that out better later.  Or, maybe I just stuffed up, lol!

Also, not sure what headset, probably a Rift S I think.  Shouldn't be too hard to put some fresh controller batteries in prior to an important race.  Not so much of a problem with my Q2 since I get 1.5-2 months out of a set of alkaline AA's.  However, I did recently notice that if I let one of them get down to 20% all heck breaks loose with Link and Air Link (dash menu starts to wobble everywhere).  So, maybe something that still needs to be addressed.  Cheers. 

@user_901925786032222 yes, it's about controller batteries. I called them joysiticks before, sorry.