cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Actually Playing SteamVR Games On Oculus Quest 2 Using Quest Controllers ???

sstephenson
Explorer

So for weeks I've been trying to get StarWars: Squadrons working on my Oculus Quest 2 using the Quest 2 Controllers. No joy. I've tried running Steam in the background. I've set my virtual desktop settings to Emulate Gamepad on PC and Use Controllers as Gamepad. I've tried changing up my program startup sequence. I've tried it wirelessly using Virtual Desktop. I've tried a wired connection with the recommended Anker link cable. I've tried every swear word in the book. Still nothing has worked. I can use an XBox controller no problem (though I hate not being able to see my controller). I can even open Squadrons on the virtual monitor sitting on the desk in the Oculus Link homeroom and use the Quest 2 controllers on the 2D version of the game showing there. But use the Quest 2 controllers on the VR game in the headset? Forget about it! They have no functionality there.

What the heck am I doing wrong? What are you doing right that I'm not? Any help is graciously and enormously appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

Samsonite121
Explorer

StarWars: Squadrons is not meant to be played with VR Controllers. It's a hybrid game and can be played in 2D and VR with XBox Controller or Hotas. The title of your post is missleading because regular VR Games like Half Life Alyx on SteamVR can be played without problems with the Quest 2 controllers.

sstephenson
Explorer

Good to know Samsonite121. I guess that explains a lot. So if I were shopping for a VR game on Steam, how would I know if Quest 2 controllers are supported? Based on all the "Play PC VR games on Quest 2" articles floating around out there, one can easily come to the conclusion thar any PC VR game can be made to work with the touch controllers. I know that's the impression I got. Obviously not the case.

You may have already found the answer to your Quest 2 controller support question but I've just done the same as you in terms of following articles that led me to needing VR StarWars: Squadrons in my life! I found the controller answer along the way so thought I'd share...

On the game info page in Steam on the right hand side you will find 'VR Support' which indicates if you can use the Quest controllers or not. As an example, for SW: Squadrons there is a message "The VR mode for this game requires the use of a gamepad or a keyboard and mouse." and the input section says "Gamepad, Keyboard / Mouse".  But for Half-Life: Alyx the message is not displayed and the input section says "Tracked Motion Controllers".

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

You are correct though. Steam is annoying because it doesn't list the Quest 2 as an official headset when you're shopping for games.

How I do it? I read the reviews and hope somebody mentions the Quest 2 specifically and I hit youtube to research the game title I am interested. If I am lucky, there will be somebody doing a review of it using the Quest 2!

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?