cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know if you can get an extension for Rift S?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Does anyone know if you can get an DP extension cable for Rift S and how far can it be extended?
85 REPLIES 85

patrickbitton66
Explorer

Morgrum said:

So i connected my 10 ft and 6 ft display port cables together today to make 16 ft and it worked fine.....  But im not trying further than that.

Can you help others by telling us which cables you used? There are A LOT of people out there that would like to know, including me.
Thanks

Lethal_Aims
Adventurer

Can you help others by telling us which cables you used? There are A LOT of people out there that would like to know, including me.
Thanks

Morgrum provided links in the posts above.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
No go so far for me. A few cables to return. Active 6 foot display port  w/ a coupler didn't work. Was surprised really. 15ft active usb3 didn't work, even plugged into a Vive Link Box didn't work.

patrickbitton66
Explorer

Morgrum said:

I just tried this 10 foot cable and it worked for me without any issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1K1KDE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is good/surprising news. I did read a post on reddit where somone was getting sparkles with a 3m/10ft cable. I think this length may be on the cusp.

I just received the cable from Amazon and I get sparkles too. I think I will just return the Rift S and stick with the original Rift.

Lethal_Aims
Adventurer

I just received the cable from Amazon and I get sparkles too. I think I will just return the Rift S and stick with the original Rift.

Which one did you go for? Was it the Cable Matters 10ft one?

patrickbitton66
Explorer

Yes it was.

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer
This subject here is a sore one. You would think that they'd have solved this issue by now...every other aspect of the S model is focused on attending to the issues that limited the CV1. And yet this one stands alone as clearly not improved. I don't buy that they needed to move to display port to support the resolution changes and video bandwidth. 

It should have been backwards compatible with all connectivity from the Rift, and as such all the existing consumers could buy the product in confidence.

Either way, 15 feet is not enough and it really dulls what should the shining tracking system.

I see zero reason to get this when you could save up and wait for the Index to come down some in cost or buy used.

Anyways, can confirm these work for USB :

Amazon Basics 2m USB 3.0
and
UGREEN 2m USB 3.0

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer
Morgrum said:
So i connected my 10 ft and 6 ft display port cables together today to make 16 ft and it worked fine.....  But im not trying further than that.
Wow, I’m surprised that worked with passive DisplayPort. You have doubled the cable length. The Vive Business Edition reached the same length but that uses HDMI rather than DisplayPort.

RedRizla said:
@Morgrum - Link to cables please and are these active cables both the DP & Usb?
See earlier posts for links.
Thanks

Morgrum provided links in the posts above.

No he didn't. How about you be helpful and answer the question(s).

Yes it was.

See how that works?

Reference Display Port:  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1K1KDE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...is not a ten foot cable.

And we don't need to know about USB, everyone has their plethora of USB cables from owning the Rift CV-1.

Where is the master Excel compatibility sheet as we had with the CV-1?
Morgrum said:

Confirming that the 6 foot cable Cyber linked worked for me also.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KRLQG2M/

I used a usb repeater cable to extend that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMFB5OK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am sure you can go shorter but in case I want to try a longer display port extension ( shrugs ).

No issues at all.

I will buy the longer one to test.

Morgrum said:

I just tried this 10 foot cable and it worked for me without any issues.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
How can you say I didnt post links when they are on the top of the same page we are on and you just quoted my links.....
Some people are so damn lazy that they cannot be bothered to F’in scroll up.
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
What I want to know is do you still get WHITE FLASHES if anyone on here says "fixed it"!