cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using oculus link Quest 2 with RX 570?

Xgfyj
Explorer

I have a Quest 2 and I'm using oculus link with the official cable and an RX 570 GPU, but my PC has been freezing/crashing.

Does anyone also have an RX 570 GPU and uses oculus link without problems?

The problem I get is when playing games or watching VR videos (I'm using the Deo VR app) my computer freezes, I get a black screen and have to restart my PC. In games it's like after 10 to 30 minutes, but with VR videos it's normally just after about 2 minutes.

I did some analysis by creating windows crash dumps with CTRL + SCROLL LOCK (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/forcing-a-system-crash-from-the-...) and analysing them with WinDbg, and I think there's a a timeout in GPU operations (TDR: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/timeout-detection-and-recovery).

I was hoping that it was a GPU driver bug. Another possibility is the GPU is defective. So I was hoping someone else has the same problem as that could mean it's a GPU driver bug and possibly that AMD could provide a fix. A problem with the GPU could mean I have to spend money on a new GPU.

15 REPLIES 15

edvinas753
Explorer

Having the same issue here, have an rx 580.

Xgfyj
Explorer

I'm going to try what was done in this video: https://youtu.be/zJbc0rwUiH4?t=33

It's basically to limit the GPU frequency to the base frequency (instead of the boost frequency).

I haven't tested yet, as I need some time to do the test on another hard drive, because these crashes are a bit bad as the other day I think I got the EFI partition corrupted because my PC wouldn't boot, and only managed to fix it by restoring a system image backup I had of my hard drive (BIOS reset and windows boot repair didn't fix the problem, only the restore did).

@Xgfyj wrote:

I'm going to try what was done in this video: https://youtu.be/zJbc0rwUiH4?t=33

It's basically to limit the GPU frequency to the base frequency (instead of the boost frequency).

I haven't tested yet, as I need some time to do the test on another hard drive, because these crashes are a bit bad as the other day I think I got the EFI partition corrupted because my PC wouldn't boot, and only managed to fix it by restoring a system image backup I had of my hard drive (BIOS reset and windows boot repair didn't fix the problem, only the restore did).

That may work with a desktop rx580 but probably not your ~20% lower performing rx570 imho.  If you want decent PCVR result with your Q2 you'll need to get a much better gpu.  I'd suggest a rtx2060 or better.  Otherwise, do what the vast majority of Q2 users do and just enjoy its standalone mobile VR.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Xgfyj
Explorer

I've tried limiting the GPU frequency, but the problem still happened.

Also tried disabling FreeSync and setting the refresh rate to 60 Hz (had it at 165 Hz), which I had seen someone say that could fix problems like this, but my PC still crashes the same way.

But what I don't understand is why we are going to need a better graphic if it is special for vr and it is not a bad graphic, in fact there are worse graphics being able to run vr games

In the meantime, I tested several different driver versions, and I practically have no problems now with the 22.3.1 driver version (maybe 22.5.1 also works but I haven't tested it much). With 22.3.1 I only had 1 crash (black screen) in more than one month, and I played several times for more than 1 hour. In the past I think I had used this driver version, but I had a hard drive then, now my PC is 100% SSD, so maybe that explains why I almost don't get any crashes.

The 22.11.2 version crashes very easily, I get crashes after playing just for 1 minute or two (even with the SSD). Relatively recent versions also crash very easily (I don't remember the last version I tested exactly). I haven't tried the last two driver versions, at least, but the release notes of the lastest versions I haven't tried don't seem to mention a fix for this problem.

They could solve this problem once and for all

Viperix
Honored Guest

Same problem, rx 570. Hopefully it will get fixed one day, for now, imma try the 22.3.1 version of drivers, hopefully it will work. 

I think I found the solution, but I'm not entirely sure because I haven't used it as much as other times, and it's windows 11 that or use the beta version of steam