cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attention: mods and anyone this may pertain to regarding Subnautica MANY VERSIONS out of date!!

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
I have opened tickets more than once over the last couple years and the answer is always the same; "we don't have anything to do with developers updating their games on our store". This is unacceptable and laughable. If I bought Subnautica on GoG or Steam it would not be out of date. This very much IS  a Oculus problem, yet they are shrugging their shoulders saying " not our problem". 
Subnautica is still version 1.0 and not recieving updates on Oculus Home!!! How is this legal, or OK? I want my money back if Oculus is refusing to keep games they sell up to date, but I'm being given a copy pasted response in that regard ( more than two weeks /more than 2 hours = no refund). 

I need this issue brought to the attention of anyone able to address it. I do NOT need copy pasta answers and cold shoulder!
15 REPLIES 15

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
@cybereality /poke. Are you able to assist please? I find this situation totally bizarre. Not sure what's more bizarre; selling out of date games, or shrugging saying not our problem

kojack
MVP
MVP
Cybereality resigned from Oculus in 2018. He hasn't logged in with that account since then. (He's still here in a different account, but no longer works for Oculus so can't help, although he never had control of the store anyway)
Mods can't do anything about it either, since we don't work for Oculus and we don't work for Unknown Worlds Entertainment (who made Sub Nautica).

Oculus didn't make Sub Nautica. They have zero control over what versions Unknown Worlds Entertainment upload.
If GOG/Steam/Epic has an up to date version, it's because Unknown Worlds Entertainment manually uploaded that version.
If the Oculus store doesn't have the up to date version, it's because Unknown Worlds Entertainment hasn't uploaded a newer version.

Unknown Worlds Entertainment needs to log into the Oculus developer dashboard and push a new version in order for that to be available. It would be illegal for Oculus to just grab a new binary from a different store and start selling that without permission.

Now, if Oculus are refusing to allow Unknown Worlds Entertainment to upload a new version, then blaming Oculus would be justified. But I don't see any evidence of that happening.

Of course it's annoying for software to not be up to date. But the fastest way to solve that is asking the actual people who can fix it: Unknown Worlds Entertainment.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
Oculus shouldn't sell games if they won't keep them up to date. I payed some $40 for a game stuck as version 1.0, a very old version! 

This will be a good warning for folks; don't buy games on the Oculus store if you don't have to. They're thieves.

PS: don't you think I asked UKW? They pass the blame to Oculus. They say they've been given the update/s, it's on them. Also, why is it on ME to ask THEM???

To reiterate folks, you read it here! Oculus says it's not their problem and sells out of date games. AVOID buying games on the Oculus store!

Can you provide a link to the statement you received from Unknown Worlds that confirms what version they have uploaded to Oculus and the date that was done?

I'm curious as I get updates for many other games and apps pretty regularly, some, like Big Screen Beta seem to get updates by their developer on a weekly basis without issue.

I've looked through Unknown World's Subnautica forum and can't find any statement from the developer on this. If you've been emailed a statement, can you paste it here?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there,
Your anger is totally justified, and you're right, Oculus shouldn't sell games if they aren't up to date. I bought Subnautica on the Epic Store, so I don't have this issue.
However, don't you think your reaction is way over the top?

1) This issue is specific to this game. I bought dozens of games on the Oculus Store, don't have a single game that isn't up to date.

2) As it was said, the issue may not come from Oculus. If the devs don't push the update, Oculus can't magically make it. Calling them thieves like they actually plotted that, when they're maybe not even responsible, is just retarded.

3) Updates aren't a necessity. As far as I remember, Subnautica didn't have big issues in its first version. The only things that wouldn't work would be updated mods, but those aren't official. We can't blame Oculus because something that isn't official doesn't work...

Then again, you're right to display this issue. Updates aren't necessary, but as long as they exist, there's absolutely NO REASON for every concerned store not to sell it.

Now, if you want solutions, there's an easy one: grab a cracked version, it's pretty easy to find.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I find it quite amusing - the accusations against Oculus. Especially considering the complete, often unfinished and abandoned garbage that Steam allows to be sold on its store. Then there's the amount of complaints on GOG about games that are supposed to work on modern systems and no-one seems to be able to get working. Yet they are still sold and nothing is acknowledged.

My Oculus version of In Death works just great - there is the odd minor bug, nothing game breaking.

My Steam version is consistently breaking and I get stuck in the second level every time I play it, by a bug. Talking with guys on reddit about this, I know it's the same for many other players, too. Something was changed  - probably with a VR update of either Steam or Index, and broken it. Yet it's still being sold and nothing is acknowledged by Steam and the dev's have deserted it.

So your statement that Oculus are the bad guys and Steam and GoG are where it's at falls pretty flat on its backside.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
"accusations"?

This is a FACT not a accusation. I am stuck with a copy of a game that is out of date. WTF is that?

And Lulu, Updates aren't necessary?? There is a ton of features and fixes with the Little Big update. 

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

Can you provide a link to the statement you received from Unknown Worlds that confirms what version they have uploaded to Oculus and the date that was done?

I'm curious as I get updates for many other games and apps pretty regularly, some, like Big Screen Beta seem to get updates by their developer on a weekly basis without issue.

I've looked through Unknown World's Subnautica forum and can't find any statement from the developer on this. If you've been emailed a statement, can you paste it here?

Why do I need to prove this? Think about how absurd this is. How is it OK to sell out of date games that will never get updated? And now you're asking me for proof that the BOTH of you are passing the blame? Naw man, I don't remember when it was, and can't dig it up. You guys should be ashamed of your selves. I will be avoiding the Oculus store like the plague and will be very vocal about my experience.

I'm not asking that you prove anything, I'm asking because it's useful to have the facts in order to establish where the fault lies. This info can be used to chase the developer or Oculus for the reason that this has happened.

You started a thread specifically asking that the mods get involved which is what I'm doing. I'd like to know what information the developer gave you because that will help me when I contact them.

Life isn't as difficult as you seem to be making it. Also, I'm not sure what the reason is for being quite so confrontational in the forum, the question I asked was a reasonable one and helps move towards a solution.