cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beat Saber add-ons not sharing on Quest 2

ColoXtine
Explorer

My husband and I have separate accounts and one Oculus Quest 2. I was able to play Beat Saber we purchased on his account using mine. I just bought a music pack add-on with his account. I went into mine and it's asking me to buy it again. I don't understand why I can play the game but not the add-on. It's a family Oculus and if I want to have my own account to track my own progress outside my husband I should be able to. It's not like we can play the same game together since it's the same Oculus. 

162 REPLIES 162

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Did you check the Beat Saber website? The store page gives basic info on the base game. You want info on music packs or what is/isn't allowed in terms of streaming? That's on the game's website. It's easy to find, even if it's not on the front page. Then again the front page has barely any info on it. From the FAQ in the Oculus section. Here, I'll even copy/paste it for you.

Q: Is the App Sharing feature available for Beat Saber?

A: Yes, the App Sharing feature is available for all songs in the Original Soundtracks, Extras, and Camellia Pack. It isn’t available for paid Music Packs at the moment.

This goes along with another question regarding content ID. Which is important if you plan to stream or upload videos to Youtube and want to monetize them.

Q: Which songs in the game have Content ID turned on?

A: Song FitBeat, all songs in the OST 1, OST 2, OST 3, OST 4, OST 5 and songs from Rocket League x Monstercat Music Pack are Content ID free. We plan the same for any of Beat Saber's upcoming OSTs. Unfortunately, we are not able to secure Content ID turned off for paid music packs which are coming from 3rd party labels. Since we are supporting the artists and their music, we respect their decision to keep Content ID turned on for their music.

Sounds to me like it is the RCAA dictating terms of what's sharable and what's not. Tracks that were created specifically for Beat Saber, possibly in-house, are sharable, others are not because the record labels want their cut. Which is probably why modding isn't really allowed on most platforms.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

lbugin
Explorer

I can’t even buy the music a second time. I get an error message when buying from the shared account.

This same thing is happening to me!! Come on Meta! It’s been a whole year. Fix THIS.

Pingosphinx
Retired Support

Hey everyone! I just wanted to chime in on this. You all brought up great ideas. As of now, music packs are not eligible for app sharing.

Yes, I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but if you want to shoot over your proposal in the ideas part of the forum, maybe this will change in the future!

I sent a message to beat saber too but no response 

@lbugin wrote:

I sent a message to beat saber too but no response 

I wouldn't expect one either. Since this is likely due to RCAA and song licensing agreements, no amount of whining will make song packs suddenly become sharable. The RCAA wants money from more sales, so they restrict song packs to one customer only. And since song packs are linked to your game account, I'd imagine this is why a shared game can't buy the song packs a second time. The songs are already on that game account.

I was willing to buy songs a second time. What I have issue with is why make that app shareable it I can’t even buy the songs a second time. Just don’t make it shareable and then it’s clear. 

J1E2F3F
Honored Guest

This is ridiculous.  I have one headset but have to pay multiple times for music packs if my wife and I want to separately track our progress?

How is this game any different than rock band as far as music rights?

Because Rock Band, guitar hero, and the like are traditionally physical disk games with required peripherals. This means that the games in question are usually not tied to a console's profile at all. If I owned (and played) Rock Band on the 360, I could take the disk and put it in any other Xbox 360, regardless of what profiles are on the console. But there would still only be one copy of the songs, namely the copy on the game disk. Even if I installed the game, it flat out wouldn't work without the physical disk.

By comparison, Beat Saber is a digital game only, to my knowledge. If I were to share my copy of Beat Saber with my brother (not sure if that's possible since he has his own Quest now), this would mean he has access to a second copy of the songs. And while Beat Games doesn't mind if you do this with the original songs they had made for the game, the RCAA really doesn't like people getting copies of licensed music for free. Those multi billionaire recording artists and record label CEOs can't afford to have even one copy of their songs distributed without money going to the record label, you know. The loss of that $5 sale could mean the difference between having a 3rd mansion or only owning two mansions. 🙂

Mind you, I agree that it's silly to allow the game to be shared, but not music packs. But then again, I'm not the copyright holder for the various songs.

Figured this was the case (not being able to share/buy the dlc for sub accounts). As a new quest owner I ran into this with other games on the oculus store, so I dont know that it’s necessarily the music industry that’s implementing the limits. 

in all fairness apple doesn’t allow in app purchase sharing either.  Seems the oculus store is allowing the main purchased app to be shared, but not anything that was purchased within the actual beat saber (or other apps) app. 

obviously sharing on the same physical device is different than separate physical devices. It’s just anti-consumer. 

maybe buying on steam would be better, but then I dont think you can keep separate saves for different family members, but at least everyone can utilize the dlc.  Not willing to drop the $$$ on it to confirm until there’s a sale though. 

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?