cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Method for Repairing Broken Bar Mounts for Top Head Strap on CV1

bzowk
Explorer
Hey Guys - 

I've had my Rift CV1 since way before the touch controllers were released and love it.  A couple of weeks ago, the connector on the Rift which the top head strap loops through broke off :(.  There's a little rod which can normally be removed from two small mounts, but the issue is that the mounts on both sides are what broke off from the headset at the spots where i have arrows below...
xoe8vbj4m8oc.jpg

Beyond purchasing an entire new headset, what (if any) suggestions or workarounds does anyone have to resolve this?  I've already tried superglue, Bondic, and a combination of the two; but that only lasts an hour or two at most.  I'm thinking of a different type of adhesive, replacement frame (w/o electronics if even offered), 3d printed part, or alternative method of attaching a head strap.

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Would JB weld original be strong enough.

bzowk
Explorer
Not sure about JBWeld & similar as although I've used it for multiple things in the past, I'm not sure about its adhesive properties with plastic.  Worst case, you could do what I did with Bondic and mold what you want with JBWeld then use something like super glue to attach / secure it.  Open to better suggestions if anyone has any.  Thanks

jab
Rising Star
Nothing beats a proper 2 component epoxy, but stay away from the 5min quick fix types for the best strength. But no glue is better than the preparation done to the glue surface. Make sure it's clean and rough it a little with sand paper. Making sure you have some type of clamp to keep constant pressure on the joint until the glue sets is also essential.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

bzowk said:

Not sure about JBWeld & similar as although I've used it for multiple things in the past, I'm not sure about its adhesive properties with plastic.  Worst case, you could do what I did with Bondic and mold what you want with JBWeld then use something like super glue to attach / secure it.  Open to better suggestions if anyone has any.  Thanks

I've used it for plastic. I used it to fix the plastic arm on my glasses and they have never broken since. Here take look at this video for it's strength. I don't think you will get anything stronger, but that's not to say it will work. I can't see super glue working well at all tbh.

jab
Rising Star
That video is ok, but for optimal strength you want to apply pressure during the curing so that the surfaces are touching tightly and there is only a thin layer of epoxy filling the micro structure gaps between them. This will make for a much stronger bond then just sticking them together in a big glob of glue.