cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best upgrade from Rift CV1?

Uberwolfe
Adventurer

Hey all,

Long story short - my dog ate through my Rift CV1 cable.

Yep, that timeless excuse is an actual reality for me now and, sadly, I'm told by Oculus that I cannot purchase a replacement cable, leaving my beloved and perfectly-working headset, three sensors, controllers and thousands of dollars of store purchases effectively redundant. Gotta admit I'm a little salty about that.

Yeah I know I can purchase a second-hand cable from a third party - but honestly I don't want to pay 250 bucks for something that I'm not actually sure how many beers have been spilled on until it arrives in my hands...

..... anyhow, I am now considering a new headset. Problem is I've been out of the VR loop.

As a founding Oculus customer, I want to remain in this ecosystem but can't really see any clear and definite upgrade paths. Like, there seems to be both positives and negatives regarding the any of the current devices when looking upstream of the Rift CV1. I just want something that gives at least what the CV1 gives and anything more would a bonus.

I'm 100% a gamer, so need something that is geared towards PC gaming. Wireless or tethered doesn't bother me.

Would really appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks 🙂

sad-days.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Uberwolfe  I upgraded my Rift cv1 about a year ago to a Quest 2 and could not be happier.  I mainly use it to play PCVR wireless with Air Link but it also works very well with a Link cable.  The main Q2 mod I've used is the Elite strap with battery.  For Link, I use the Kuject 16ft powered link cable that uses your Q2 charger/cable to maintain the headset at about 80% for like forever.  Performance is as good as the official link cable and it plugs into a more standard usb3 PC port.  Also, less than 1/2 the price of the official link cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuject-Separate-Charging-Ultra-Durable-Accessories/dp/B09TN25765

Your $'s so your decision.  Probably a good idea to do a little more google research imho.  Good luck mate whichever way you go mate and cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Uberwolfe  I upgraded my Rift cv1 about a year ago to a Quest 2 and could not be happier.  I mainly use it to play PCVR wireless with Air Link but it also works very well with a Link cable.  The main Q2 mod I've used is the Elite strap with battery.  For Link, I use the Kuject 16ft powered link cable that uses your Q2 charger/cable to maintain the headset at about 80% for like forever.  Performance is as good as the official link cable and it plugs into a more standard usb3 PC port.  Also, less than 1/2 the price of the official link cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuject-Separate-Charging-Ultra-Durable-Accessories/dp/B09TN25765

Your $'s so your decision.  Probably a good idea to do a little more google research imho.  Good luck mate whichever way you go mate and cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Thanks, really appreciate the helpful reply!

The Quest 2 is definitely something I've been looking into - thanks for listing the mods too.

How does the resolution and FOV compare with the CV1?

@Uberwolfe wrote:

Thanks, really appreciate the helpful reply!

The Quest 2 is definitely something I've been looking into - thanks for listing the mods too.

How does the resolution and FOV compare with the CV1?

FOV is close to the same, maybe slightly less.  Resolution/clarity is much better and much less SDE as well.

Hey there! We've been there where the cute doggo has made us rather salty by chewing on our electronics. Could you please reach out to us via Support HERE and we can give you that one on one attention and see what options are available to you.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hi there, I've already done that and been told I'm all out of luck - though the support seemed to think I wanted a cable through my (obviously long-expired) warranty when I'm more than happy to purchase one through an official source...

Pandages
Protege

The Quest 2 isn't an option for me, because I have an IPD well above 70mm, and my Oculus Rift has been acceptable to use, but going more narrow would cause all kinds of vision issues (blurriness).

I'm upset that Meta haven't made a "Quest 2 XL" for people who have wider IPD or bigger heads.  Use the same everything other than a few differently shaped pieces of plastic on the interior, and some firmware tweaks.  Could even be marked up for being a bit more exotic.

But since the Rift CV1, each successive model has been a WORSE fit for my Biology.  There's nothing I can do to change it, just quit VR I guess.

@Pandages  Maybe buy a Q2 from Amazon and see what you think.  Easy to return for a refund if it doesn’t work for you.

I'm waiting for Cambria, or I'll buy from a competitor.  If my IPD isn't officially supported, then I know I am not wanted as a customer.  And supporting a product (or product family) that isn't designed for me only rewards that business decision, encouraging the pattern to continue.

@Pandages  Some are more IPD tolerant than others.  My measured IPD is 69.0mm and I don’t have any problems with the Q2 outer 68mm setting.  I never had any IPD related issues with either my Rift S or Oculus Go and both of these were around 64mm.  The Rift S did have software correction but I didn’t see it made any difference, to me at least.

Up to you to decide if you want to try and see for yourself.